Atomizer question >>

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeadPerfect

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2011
RI
Ok, i recently got an ego and cartomizers. but i also bought an LR 1.5 olm atomizer to test out new liquids. i was wondering how many vapes do you get from 1 drop of liquid. because it seems when i put 1 drop to test, it just keeps vaping. and when i want to try another flavor, it gets mixed with the last.

Also if i debridge and dewick it, how many vapes per drop. any way to get 1 vape per drop? also it doesnt taste good new, so im assuming its that primer stuff they put on it. how long does that junk last, and if i debridge/dewick, will the primer go away, or is it all inside the coil too.

fptraiders34

Dec 17, 2011
Rochester
For me it takes usually a few days to break in a new atty. I buy them because to me they produce better flavor and vapor. If I do not want the flavors to mix I wait till the first one is nearly done, or I clean it out (many vids on YouTube on how to do this) I have no issues with flavors mixing though, my atty hits really hard and burns the juice fast. Not sure if I completely answered your question or not, but feel free to Personal Message me.

Vego

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2011
pittsburgh, pa
You should blow out the primer fluid before you ever use the atty. Blow it out right into a paper towel til no more liquid wets the paper towel.

Not sure what you mean by '...just keeps on vaping', but with one drop, I can't see getting more than 10 hits... and even that seems alot for one drop. Could have something to do with the juice you're using. I find that my Boba's Bounty will last seemingly forever like that with just a couple of drops. I have no proof of this, but I have surmized for awhile now that some flavors might can mask the burnt taste, and you might not realize that you've been ready for a few more drops.

Also, after you blow the primer out of a new atty, you should prime it by adding about 6 drops, let it sit for a minute or two to soak in, then add 2 more drops and go to town.

I know this didn't answer some of your main questions, but I don't know enough to help beyond what I suggested.

Tona Aspsusa

ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2011
Finland
I would also be interested in viewpoints on the OP's questions
- especially the implied question of WHY de-bridge and/or de-wick?
(I've tried googling this question but haven't really found anything beyond "it's better", I want to know *why* and in what way it is better!)

I am myself finally getting the hang of dripping (reg resistance atty), and I highly recommend vaping at least 2-8 drops unflavoured juice in between flavours.

Since I mix my own liquids I even have some unflavoured nic-juice at hand (cut to just above my regular strength), which is handy because once the subtle taste of just nic is discernible I know I can test the next flavour without fear of old juice messing up the taste.
Plain VG, PG or a mix should work just as well.

But one thing I can't figure out: actually using a drip-tip to drip through. When I try I invariably get liquid clinging to the inside of the drip-tip, and then transfering to my mouth. Not nice.
So I remove the drip-tip, drip 2 drops, put drip-tip back on, vape. This works, but if I could figure out how to cleanly drip through the drip-tip I would be very happy.

JenBruin

Dec 11, 2010
San Diego
But one thing I can't figure out: actually using a drip-tip to drip through. When I try I invariably get liquid clinging to the inside of the drip-tip, and then transfering to my mouth. Not nice.
So I remove the drip-tip, drip 2 drops, put drip-tip back on, vape. This works, but if I could figure out how to cleanly drip through the drip-tip I would be very happy.

When dripping, I hold the PV with drip tip at a slight angle so that the liquid will flow down the side of the drip tip's lumen. Also, right after dripping I blow gently into the drip tip before taking a puff. Don't blow hard enough to push liquid out of the bottom of the atty, just enough to break the surface tension of the liquid "membrane" that forms across the lower end of the drip tip. Once in awhile, I remove the drip tip and blow it out extensively or wipe it down with a pipe cleaner. Another option is the ego XL type atomizers and drip tips. Though more expensive, the lumen is much wider and I've never had a liquid-in-mouth issue with them.

As for the de-wicking, the purpose of this seems to be to remove the burnt taste from an old atty in which the wick is charred and nasty. Makes sense if you look at how cruddy those wicks can get. I've never tried it though. Debridging is a mystery to me, however.

saxguy9345

ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2011
PA
I always de-wick my atomizers. The fibers of the wick burn very fast if not throughly soaked (esp LR ones), which is nearly impossible if you're dripping. You'll get a much longer life out of a dewicked atomizer, IMO. There are plenty of vids about this, my favorite way is to pry the mesh on top of the bridge to the empty side (wick is pinched between bridge and mesh, and the body of it travels down from one side) with a jewelery-sized flathead screwdriver. I've managed to slip it over while still keeping the wick fully intact, then I use tweezers to pull it out in one swoop. If done right, the wick will "teeter" up from the bridge giving you a nice target for tweezers. Yank that sucker out, pinch the mesh back on top of the bridge with the tweezers or nudge with the flathead, and it's golden. Believe me, I didn't get it on the first time.

That being said, after 2-3 trial runs, I never debridge my atomizers. I have no scientific proof to back this up, but I found ZERO performance difference in a debridged atty, and MUCH more leaking/pull through. I feel as though the bridge sort-of "diffuses" the airflow coming through the atty and lets vapor build up/ allows a tighter pull without juice in your mouth.

As for trying 1 drop of a new flavor to try it, that's kinda hard to do. I would commit a good 3-4 drops (5-6 vapes for me) to each flavor MINIMUM, then blow out the atty. I usually pick a new flavor and give it a trial day. I know it's hard (and I definitely didn't do this on day one) but there will always be a little bit of that previous flavor in the atty when switching. I wouldn't reccomend a water/vinegar clean after each trial, as that's a fast way to kill an atty.

Tona just opened my eyes a bit when they suggested flavorless pg/vg when switching flavors, that's a really good idea.

Tona Aspsusa

ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2011
Finland
I always de-wick my atomizers. The fibers of the wick burn very fast if not throughly soaked (esp LR ones), which is nearly impossible if you're dripping. You'll get a much longer life out of a dewicked atomizer, IMO. There are plenty of vids about this,

Interesting. Naturally I did find some answers after having posted my question :oops: - but yours wasn't common among them.

That being said, after 2-3 trial runs, I never debridge my atomizers. I have no scientific proof to back this up, but I found ZERO performance difference in a debridged atty, and MUCH more leaking/pull through. I feel as though the bridge sort-of "diffuses" the airflow coming through the atty and lets vapor build up/ allows a tighter pull without juice in your mouth.

Interesting, because from finally hitting on some good keywords to search for, this seemed almost more common than de-wicking, and the reasons given seemed to be that when dripping it is nicer/easier if the bridge isn't there, so you hit either the wick directly, or, if de-wicked, the coil itself directly.

As for trying 1 drop of a new flavor to try it, that's kinda hard to do. I would commit a good 3-4 drops (5-6 vapes for me) to each flavor MINIMUM, then blow out the atty. I usually pick a new flavor and give it a trial day. I know it's hard (and I definitely didn't do this on day one) but there will always be a little bit of that previous flavor in the atty when switching. I wouldn't reccomend a water/vinegar clean after each trial, as that's a fast way to kill an atty.

Vinegar and water is probably not a good idea - too many minerals that can build up. Strong ethanol/alcohol is probably the easiest. I've used 95%, but I think 80% would be enough. Vodka in a pinch. The good thing about alcohol is that it dries rather quickly. I haven't tried boiling (either cartos or atomizers) yet, but if/when I do, I will most probably follow it up with a quick ethanol rinse.

Hmm, thinking about boiling for cleaning (which seems to be the preferred method for cleaning cartomizers), wouldn't mineral build-up be an even bigger problem than with soaking?
This could probably be avoided by boiling in distilled water. But if your gear is really dirty and requires 3-4 boils before the water is clear, that could use up quite a lot of DW.

I'm thinking adding some dishwasher powder to the (tapwater) water might help, or it might not. Or it might do something horrible, but probably not.

Tona just opened my eyes a bit when they suggested flavorless pg/vg when switching flavors, that's a really good idea.

Thanks, glad to be of help and not just "the impatient newbie" :p

I actually just hit on it by mistake: among the many bottles with my first experiments I also have a bottle with no flavour nic-juice (at about 13mg/ml). So when I was trying things, and being very new to dripping, I just thought I'd drop a bit of that.
I'm sure plain PG (or a PG/VG mix) would also work well, but when I discovered that after several vapes of the old flavour, fainter and fainter to completely flavourless, I could start discerning the subtle taste of my nic (classic "wet dog" or "fishy", very faint but it is there), I got rather excited: that nic-taste is *very* subtle, so if that comes through there should be almost no chance at all of the previous flavour corrupting the next one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread