Status
Not open for further replies.

kinggirl

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2013
Dallas
So, I sorta jumped right in to rebuildables but I have a friend that I feel probably isn't ready for rebuilding. She's been using an itaste that I gave her but it dies all the time now according to her. I have seen on Rob's site the LR 510 attys. I have no clue how these work does it just take the place of a rm2? Are they decent? Just trying to decide if I should steer her into something like a mvp before a reo but she was using mine this past weekend and loved it. I just know her well enough to know she's not ready for building coils yet. Any thoughts?

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
i believe the LR510 are "low resistance" bottom fed cartomizers (coil surrounded by wick) the wick gets saturated and vape. if she tried ur rda..no way will a carto compare. maybe u can build her coils or take her to coil building school? :)

A 510 atomizer and cartomizer both have a coil with a wick, the difference is the cartomizer also has a filler material that holds additional liquid. The atomizer will only hold a couple drops in the wick but the cartomizer holds 20 drops or more depending on size.

diamondlou

Mar 2, 2014
missouri
0cdca8e3507d181f3756ff5e55a46ec7.jpg

coil surrounded by wick (paraphrased) ;)

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
The 510 atties are basically fillerless cartos. No building required, and they're used instead of the RDA. It was because of spillage from toppers like this that the original catch cup on the reos is a big as it is.

A thing called a 306 is the other prebuilt, bridgeless (wickless) option and some folks like them (Rickajho, for example) - basically the same thing as the 510.

You would probably find them lacking compared to your RDA's, but your friend might find them a significant upgrade from a clearo on an itaste. If you can swing it, maybe order one and let your friend try it on one of your reos to see if it would work. If you're worried about the shipping for one little atty, you could always order another reo for yourself which you could sell on to her if the 510 worked out. Worst case - you'd have another reo (poor you).

oldbroad

don't need no dang title..I'm queen of the world!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2009
Lower Mich.
I'd strongly suggest that you have her get a Reo, since she loves yours, as nothing else now will compare. Perhaps you could build her a couple of wick-coils and explain as you're showing her.

I learned pretty quickly...well, not so quickly, but I learned, cuz cartos or 510's just do not do the flavor and vapor from a Reo any justice....

and you already spoiled her:laugh:

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
Give a man a fish - he eats for a day.

Teach a man to fish and he spends all day in a boat drinking beer with his buddies.

Show her how to make coils; if she's physically able, there's nothing to it. They don't have to look nice - they just have to work and be measured before fired is all.
Otherwise, if you make them, you'll forever be doing it.

My wife is perfectly capable of making her own coils, but refuses because i make better ones. :facepalm:

T

HgA1C

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2009
Michigan
I would suggest spending time with your friend and teach her to build coils some night. Explain to her that the best setups require learning coil building, and that she will be disappointed with anything else. In other words, be honest with her. Or get a coiling gizmo setup for her, and teach her how to use it. Another option is see if she can learn to re-wick and dry burn that way you could just recoil it every week or two, just have her buy a spare atty and drop it off when she feels the need to switch atomizers. Or have her buy pre-wound coils. The last option would be see if any local shops will rebuild if she buys some juice, and she will eventually come around to building. Basically do anything possible to save her money. She will end up wanting an REO since she already likes yours.

(Ramblings)
Personally, my re-entry into vaping was a Kayfun lite clone and a DNA30. (I had tried vaping way back in 2008, and hated all of the problems back then. I wanted an excellent reliable setup e.g. regulated) The shop sat down and built my coil for me, and answered my questions as I watched. My FIRST hand wound micro-coil (which I did on my own at home) is still going in my second Kayfun as I wait patiently for my REO to arrive this Wednesday. (Disclaimer: I have extensive manufacturing experience with fine detail small parts, so extraordinary hand dexterity) The shops coil is still going after being re-wicked and dry burned with KGD over 10 times. This was only a month ago.

I have decided to go REO while owning arguably the best setup you can get that is not an REO. I will be posting later this week with pics, and I am expecting to be drinking the REO kool-aid the first day. Why? I want a low maintenance, bullet proof, easy setup that allows me to see my liquid. I hate draining tanks and dealing with the extra steps required on tank based atomizers. Re-wicking and dry burning takes minutes and can be done anywhere I want.

After owning my $250 setup for less than a month, I have decided to trust the fine folks here at Reoville and try to minimize my losses. My wife wants to join me in vaping e.g. I need a new mod. I will keep up the kayfuns on my current mod until she knows she likes vaping enough to quit smoking. At that point I figure I will buy her an REO and be done with the mess. My current setup will be our backup until I buy a couple more REOs. Then I will probably use it as a tester for my DIY juice with a dripper, or possibly sell it. I am frugal, but not cheap.

Overall, I am somewhat glad I did not just jump into an REO. I bought equipment that gave me a good vape from day one, as I did not have friends to help me. I was slightly nervous the first few weeks about possibly screwing up the shops setup when re-wicking. My first few re-wicks were sub-optimal. I then got a second kayfun, and realized that I would have no problems with coil building. Heck I bought a coil gizmo, and that was more hassle than just hand winding. Honestly, my learning curve probably would have been lower on an REO as I could just yank the build, and try again without having to deal with the fluid in the tank. Kanthal and a big stack of Japanese cotton is pretty cheap. Just my :2c:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread