Atomizers dying so quickly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xVape

Oct 19, 2015
Hey all, I'm going to purchase my istick 30w and a nautilus Mini in a few days but until then I still have my EVOD starter kit (essentially an EVOD starter kit, an EVOD tank with a HS Vapour 650mAh battery). So, on Friday I got myself a new atty from a local headshop, I really should order online but for the convenience £2 isn't a big deal. But this has been the case with almost every "cheap" atomizer I've had, after 3 days or so they just seem to drop massively in performance. For example, with the current atty I have I was really impressed with the difference from the old one, I seemed to be getting more vapour and a hell of a lot more flavour but I expected it to be short lived and I was right, already I'm getting a bit of a burnt taste, nothing like a dry hit however. It just kind of ruins the taste, it's almost a 50/50 of Watermelon and an off/burnt taste which is pretty depressing. Right now I've stolen my stepbrothers Aspire K1 starter kit since he isn't using it, I'm just going to happily vape some spearmint until my 2 atomizers have fully dried from the hot soak I just gave them. On a side note I always clean my atomizers in hot water every 1-2 days, could this attribute to any damage?

Also I am using 70-75% PG based E liquids if that is of any help.

Thanks.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
I don't really know what to add. Your average CE4 from a shop is a 40p item. £1.99 in home bargains, £4.99 from VIP or Vapouriz.
An evod is slightly better, but most are clones (Kik, Cirro, Vapouriz etc.) and it's the same story... make you pay a fiver for something that lasts under a week and isn't much good.
It's about making £250 a year from you when it costs them about £20.
The best cheap clearo was probably the Innokin iClear16. They are under £4 to buy and the replacement heads are 65p. That's why people like UKecigstore charge £2 each and don't even offer multi-buy discounts.
It's about the money. Products will just get worse and worse as businesses max out their profit.

As for soaking...you can clean iClear16 or Evod coils, but not many others. I wouldn't soak a BVC, no.

morningdew

ECF Veteran
May 7, 2013
People's Republic of Stroud
Depends how much you vape a day. If say 7 ml then over 3 days that is 21 ml, not bad really. I treat is as a cost incurred in vaping and would factor it in if I did a how much does vaping cost me I.e. An atomiser every 3 days at £2, so around 67 pence a day.

Rebuilding is of course an option, it does save a fair bit of cash, but requires learning all the safety stuff and how to build etc.

One thing that can help with cleaning is rinse, shake out, soak in vodka for upto a day, rinse again and let dry. Some of the gunk definately soaks off in the vodka.

I do think sometimes the estimated 2-3 weeks for a coil is overstated. But then again at say 2ml a day, that's only 28ml of juice. What counts is amount of juice going through the atty, not days or weeks.

Ablonz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2014
Frozen Tundra, WI Cheesehead
I get that every now and again. Seems like your drawing to light. I noticed with my Emow tank running 70 pg/ 30 vg, every now and a gain a need to do a primer puff like it is not wicking as well as it should or there is not enough vacuum in the tank. Try doing a couple primer puffs before hand every so often and see if that helps. It does for me. Hope this helps.

morningdew

ECF Veteran
May 7, 2013
I don't really know what to add. Your average CE4 from a shop is a 40p item. £1.99 in home bargains, £4.99 from VIP or Vapouriz.
An evod is slightly better, but most are clones (Kik, Cirro, Vapouriz etc.) and it's the same story... make you pay a fiver for something that lasts under a week and isn't much good.
It's about making £250 a year from you when it costs them about £20.
The best cheap clearo was probably the Innokin iClear16. They are under £4 to buy and the replacement heads are 65p. That's why people like UKecigstore charge £2 each and don't even offer multi-buy discounts.
It's about the money. Products will just get worse and worse as businesses max out their profit.

As for soaking...you can clean iClear16 or Evod coils, but not many others. I wouldn't soak a BVC, no.

Am interested why you would not soak a bvc?

xVape

Oct 19, 2015
Depends how much you vape a day. If say 7 ml then over 3 days that is 21 ml, not bad really. I treat is as a cost incurred in vaping and would factor it in if I did a how much does vaping cost me I.e. An atomiser every 3 days at £2, so around 67 pence a day.

Rebuilding is of course an option, it does save a fair bit of cash, but requires learning all the safety stuff and how to build etc.

One thing that can help with cleaning is rinse, shake out, soak in vodka for upto a day, rinse again and let dry. Some of the gunk definately soaks off in the vodka.

I do think sometimes the estimated 2-3 weeks for a coil is overstated. But then again at say 2ml a day, that's money 28ml of juice. What counts is amount of juice going through the atty, not days or weeks.

You raise a fair point Morningdew, I really only vape about 2ml per day but recently I've been vaping up to 4ml just due to more free time. 10-12ml of liquid seems very little to gunk up a coil, especially when it has been soaked 2 or 3 times. Also when I do clean the coils I try to blow any "gunk" out. I just find it strange that they seem to degrade in performance so quickly.

billgharley

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2015
Upstate NY, USA
Have you considered getting an tank with a deck that you can rebuild? Have to get wire and cotton (cheap) and learn how to rebuild, but after some practice you can be good at it, save money, and make new coils any time you want if they are junking up. Kanger subtank mini works well and so many others.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Am interested why you would not soak a bvc?

By the time the coil has black gunk fried to it, cleaning the cotton wool isn't going to do much good.

Changing flavours, maybe.

Bottom line... coils don't self-clean and wetting any coil with cotton wool is difficult to predict as you can't dry burn the gunk off.

I throw RBA straight in the sink (of course), pull out the wool, dry-burn and re-wick.
I would soak a silica wick as well.

Other than that, don't know really. :)

xVape

Oct 19, 2015
Have you considered getting an tank with a deck that you can rebuild? Have to get wire and cotton (cheap) and learn how to rebuild, but after some practice you can be good at it, save money, and make new coils any time you want if they are junking up. Kanger subtank mini works well and so many others.

I must say I definitely have considered it but I feel it would be a thing for the future after I enjoy the simplistic side of a Nautilus mini and an iStick without having to fret about shoddy replacement CE4 coils that tend to die rapidly. I would much rather purchase replacement authentic BVC coils rather than the 90% chance of a dodgy CE4 that dies.

Reactions: djsvapour

morningdew

ECF Veteran
May 7, 2013
By the time the coil has black gunk fried to it, cleaning the cotton wool isn't going to do much good.

Changing flavours, maybe.

Bottom line... coils don't self-clean and wetting any coil with cotton wool is difficult to predict as you can't dry burn the gunk off.

I throw RBA straight in the sink (of course), pull out the wool, dry-burn and re-wick.
I would soak a silica wick as well.

Other than that, don't know really. :)

Good point. I suppose it can at least rinse a flavour out from the cotton. Additionally given juices seem to darken over time in a tank, due I think to sugars etc building up as juice is vape, cleaning would get rid of this. A vodka soak does remove some of the gunk, not all, but I always notice the vodka darkens.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
I must say I definitely have considered it but I feel it would be a thing for the future after I enjoy the simplistic side of a Nautilus mini and an iStick without having to fret about shoddy replacement CE4 coils that tend to die rapidly. I would much rather purchase replacement authentic BVC coils rather than the 90% chance of a dodgy CE4 that dies.
I agree.
Mostly, I still use factory coils. Just ordered
3 packs BVC Nautilus (£15.99 for all three)
1 pack Subtank OCC (£5.60)
2 packs Subtank Ni200 (didn't look... £6? each)

They work out about £1.25 from fasttech and last a week (maybe less, sometimes more, more with BVC than OCC).

£1.25 divided by 7 days is like half a cigarette a day. Too expensive? Not for me.
I "build" for my subtank mini and Kayfun and RDAs (Magma, Plume).

Reactions: morningdew

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I used to dryburn my old protank coils- they came with silica wicks; was fascinating to watch the black wick turn white :drool:

after a while though, the wick would deteriorate and fall apart, then it was time to rewick with cotton.

basically you could dryburn/rewick those coils and get them to last for weeks instead of days;

they're so tiny though, and rebuildables aren't so expensive anymore.

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
Hey all, I'm going to purchase my iStick 30w and a Nautilus Mini in a few days but until then I still have my EVOD starter kit (essentially an EVOD starter kit, an EVOD tank with a HS Vapour 650mAh battery). So, on Friday I got myself a new atty from a local headshop, I really should order online but for the convenience £2 isn't a big deal. But this has been the case with almost every "cheap" atomizer I've had, after 3 days or so they just seem to drop massively in performance. For example, with the current atty I have I was really impressed with the difference from the old one, I seemed to be getting more vapour and a hell of a lot more flavour but I expected it to be short lived and I was right, already I'm getting a bit of a burnt taste, nothing like a dry hit however. It just kind of ruins the taste, it's almost a 50/50 of Watermelon and an off/burnt taste which is pretty depressing. Right now I've stolen my stepbrothers Aspire K1 starter kit since he isn't using it, I'm just going to happily vape some spearmint until my 2 atomizers have fully dried from the hot soak I just gave them. On a side note I always clean my atomizers in hot water every 1-2 days, could this attribute to any damage?

Also I am using 70-75% PG based E liquids if that is of any help.

Thanks.

Some things to remember for coil longevity, these listed below reduce coil life...

1) Heat, how hot and how often you fire you coil will decrease wicking life and build carbon and gunk on a coil quicker. Higher watts applied at the coil degrades wicking or allows impurities to carbonize in the wicking/coil or clog and collect in the wicking at the coil. How often you fire the coil, each time it is fired cumulatively adds to this.
2) Liquids with sweeteners, highly sweet liquids (some fruits like melons), creamy flavors, bakery and savory flavors, custard like flavors, yogurt flavors, candies, vanilla, caramel, or contain any of these class of flavors. A lot of these flavors are naturally sweet, have sweeteners to sweeten them up, these sweeteners don't vaporize real well or when they do the impurities that do not get baked and carbonize on the coil and in the wicking, compounded by #1.
3) Darker and colored liquids, these colorings do not vaporize well, like #2, darker or more color in the liquid cumulatively collects and carbonizes, tobacco, coffee, capucino, any liquids with red, blue, greens, brown, or dark brown flavors all fall in this category.
4) Tobaccos, especially Whole Tobacco Alkaloids (WTA), Naturally Extracted Tobaccos (NET), sweet Tobaccos (RY4's types also), get a double whammy, dark, sweet, or in the case of WTA/NET the impurities of the tobacco extraction are suspended in the liquid, these do not vaporize well, add #1, and it is a triple whammy
5) Higher VG liquids, VG most times is sweet, so it acts a lot like #2 for sweet liquids, also being so thick, wicking is slower, running into potential dry burns of some wicking, may not taste it, but if not all of the wicking is saturated it can burn while the properly wicking saturated wicking is providing enough liquid to cover up the scorching flavor, (outer layers of wicking exposed directly to the coil fall prey to this)

xVape

Oct 19, 2015
Some things to remember for coil longevity, these listed below reduce coil life...

1) Heat, how hot and how often you fire you coil will decrease wicking life and build carbon and gunk on a coil quicker. Higher watts applied at the coil degrades wicking or allows impurities to carbonize in the wicking/coil or clog and collect in the wicking at the coil. How often you fire the coil, each time it is fired cumulatively adds to this.
2) Liquids with sweeteners, highly sweet liquids (some fruits like melons), creamy flavors, bakery and savory flavors, custard like flavors, yogurt flavors, candies, vanilla, caramel, or contain any of these class of flavors. A lot of these flavors are naturally sweet, have sweeteners to sweeten them up, these sweeteners don't vaporize real well or when they do the impurities that do not get baked and carbonize on the coil and in the wicking, compounded by #1.
3) Darker and colored liquids, these colorings do not vaporize well, like #2, darker or more color in the liquid cumulatively collects and carbonizes, tobacco, coffee, capucino, any liquids with red, blue, greens, brown, or dark brown flavors all fall in this category.
4) Tobaccos, especially Whole Tobacco Alkaloids (WTA), Naturally Extracted Tobaccos (NET), sweet Tobaccos (RY4's types also), get a double whammy, dark, sweet, or in the case of WTA/NET the impurities of the tobacco extraction are suspended in the liquid, these do not vaporize well, add #1, and it is a triple whammy
5) Higher VG liquids, VG most times is sweet, so it acts a lot like #2 for sweet liquids, also being so thick, wicking is slower, running into potential dry burns of some wicking, may not taste it, but if not all of the wicking is saturated it can burn while the properly wicking saturated wicking is providing enough liquid to cover up the scorching flavor, (outer layers of wicking exposed directly to the coil fall prey to this)

Hmm, well since I'm currently using a HS Vapour battery I really couldn't say what my wattage or voltage is, I'm unsure. I only really vape fruity flavours (Strawberry, watermelon, tropical fruits, maybe even grape or blackberry) so that could be an attributing factor. I think when I get the iStick I'll vape under 10w to prolong the life of the BVC coil with the Nautius. Best results seem to come at 7-9w from what I've seen so hopefully I could eek out 2 weeks with one. Thanks for the info guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread