Atomizers + Maintenance = Longer life

Status
Not open for further replies.

PVPuff&Stuff

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2009
Bishop, California, United States
This isn't going to be about atomizer cleaning. There are about as many opinions on that as there are vapers. This is just my opinion, but it has served me well in my personal use of these devices and customers that have tried it have had good results.

If you notice a reduced airflow when you take a puff, or the atomizer gets hot without producing much vapor, you have a liquid accumulation problem. Liquid gets down into all the nooks and crannies and impedes airflow. No airflow, no vapor. This should take care of the problem if you make it part of your daily routine.

Maintenance is the most important factor in extending the lifespan of your atomizers. That being said, it's always good to keep in mind that atomizers are disposable items. Over their lifespan, you will notice a degrading performance in terms of vapor production. Proper maintenance can slow that degradation by quite a bit. With cigarette pack prices edging towards $10 in a lot of states, an $8 atomizer is going to put you ahead of the curve. Maintain them, and you'll be even more cost efficient.

Aggressive cleaning is probably the biggest contributor to atty death. The manufacturer recommends a water rinse, and we agree. Using solvents can damage the finish and leave deposits on the heating coil that may be hazardous to your health. Those deposits may also cause a hot spot to develop on the heating coil, which will lead to breakage of the coil and a dead atty.

Maintenance procedure:

This is a daily task, and you should fit it in with your nightly routine. Skipping a few days can, and will make a difference. It shouldn't add more than a minute or two to your last trip to the bathroom before bed. Do it while brushing your teeth and you'll hardly notice the time it takes.

Here's a good place to start, and you can fine tune it with cleaning of the atomizers if they need it. They most probably won't unless you have some nasty juice you just have to get out of there.

Before bed, I'll take a few puffs to get the atomizer nice and warm. This softens any liquid that may be trapped in the ventilation holes so gravity can do your work for you.

Disconnect the atomizer from the battery and take out the mouthpiece.

Place the atomizer mouthpiece side down (threads up) onto a paper towel or piece of tissue. MAKE SURE IT IS OUT OF REACH OF PETS OR KIDS!

That's it. A daily chore that will let the warmed liquid drip out of the atomizer cup and any of the airway passages it may have seeped into during the day. You don't really need to blow out the atomizer before letting it sit. I have had better results just leaving a fully loaded atomizer to drain.

In the morning, you'll see a nice spot where your liquid drained out. Pitch the towel and reconnect your battery/mouthpiece. A drop or two on the atomizer will refresh it if you use cartridges or tanks.

This procedure works especially well with the eGo tank atomizers. It's a bit messier than the penstyle or mini atties, they hold quite a bit of liquid inside. Make sure you double up that towel.

When re-assembling your PV, make sure to wipe down the electrical connections. Liquid can seep down into the threads, or condensation can form on the battery post. Both of these will impede the electrical connection and result in lower vapor volume.

Give it a try for a couple of weeks, and see what you think. It'll seem like a pain when you first start, but in a week you won't give the maintenance minute a second thought.

Enjoy,
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread