Status
Not open for further replies.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I will say after having two of these to play around with, the best performance I'm getting is laying the fluffy wicking on the juice well and not passing down through. Almost like wicking an Aromamizer. Not that it wicked poorly seeing a little cotton poking down through that you could see, but for me this is working best. Still dead easy to do.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
I will say after having two of these to play around with, the best performance I'm getting is laying the fluffy wicking on the juice well and not passing down through. Almost like wicking an Aromamizer. Not that it wicked poorly seeing a little cotton poking down through that you could see, but for me this is working best. Still dead easy to do.
I agree...that's worked the best for me as well. Another thing that's worked well for me is a standard round wire coil. 26ga kanthal, 3mm, 6 wraps spaced. I was building one for my wife or I'd have never tried it. Excellent flavor and plenty of vapor at only 25 watts. That's exactly what I put in my own now. To me, it's a nicer vape than the aliens, fused claptons, heavy round wire.....

DP2Raja

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2012
New Mexico
I agree...that's worked the best for me as well. Another thing that's worked well for me is a standard round wire coil. 26ga kanthal, 3mm, 6 wraps spaced. I was building one for my wife or I'd have never tried it. Excellent flavor and plenty of vapor at only 25 watts. That's exactly what I put in my own now. To me, it's a nicer vape than the aliens, fused claptons, heavy round wire.....

I will might give that a try next time I recoil. My SS fused clapton at 0.23 ohms running at just 42-45 watts is working beautifully.
Good to know that just about anything works in these puppies.

Mysteron

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2018
Land of Smiles
Since I almost exclusively use RDAs and squonk mods these days I've not been buying any RTAs but the one my finger keeps hovering over the 'Buy' button with is the Intake. I've only heard good things about it, just a bit concerned that it will end up being just the same as the Ammit flavour-wise and just end up sitting on the reserve bench alongside it.

Of the RTAs I have tried I only keep two around now, Ammit 25 and the Serpent SMM. The flavour from the Ammit 25 is OK (I get the feeling it's as good as it's going to get with an RTA) the Serpent SMM is also OK, just, but I prefer using the Ammit much more, the build quality is better IMO and it's not as noisy as the Serpent. BUT (and this is my problem), while the flavour from the Ammit is OK I find it sucks on dessert / cream type juice, it only really delivers for me on not overly sweet fruit and spear/mint juices. So this is the concern I have with the Intake, what juices will it perform well on? Same as the Ammit? I vape a lot more dessert / bakery juice these days and I'm not sure how it would perform on those, if it's so so (or even crap as the Ammit and Serpent are) and is just going to end up getting used for fruit / mint alongside the Ammit there's no point really. Obviously if anyone has both it would be useful.

For me to buy another RTA it's gonna have to perform better than the Ammit and deliver on a wider range of flavours, given that I think that's gonna be hard to achieve I've stopped the buy / bin cycle, hence the finger hovering.

Last edited:

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
Since I almost exclusively use RDAs and squonk mods these days I've not been buying any RTAs but the one my finger keeps hovering over the 'Buy' button with is the Intake. I've only heard good things about it, just a bit concerned that it will end up being just the same as the Ammit flavour-wise and just end up sitting on the reserve bench alongside it.

Of the RTAs I have tried I only keep two around now, Ammit 25 and the Serpent SMM. The flavour from the Ammit 25 is OK (I get the feeling it's as good as it's going to get with an RTA) the Serpent SMM is also OK, just, but I prefer using the Ammit much more, the build quality is better IMO and it's not as noisy as the Serpent. BUT (and this is my problem), while the flavour from the Ammit is OK I find it sucks on dessert / cream type juice, it only really delivers for me on not overly sweet fruit and spear/mint juices. So this is the concern I have with the Intake, what juices will it perform well on? Same as the Ammit? I vape a lot more dessert / bakery juice these days and I'm not sure how it would perform on those, if it's so so (or even crap as the Ammit and Serpent are) and is just going to end up getting used for fruit / mint alongside the Ammit there's no point really. Obviously if anyone has both it would be useful.

For me to buy another RTA it's gonna have to perform better than the Ammit and deliver on a wider range of flavours, given that I think that's gonna be hard to achieve I've stopped the buy / bin cycle, hence the finger hovering.
I have all the rta’s mentioned. And I vape mostly dessert/bakery flavors. IMHO the Intake provides better flavor & quieter airflow with no leaking.

Mysteron

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2018
Land of Smiles
I have all the rta’s mentioned. And I vape mostly dessert/bakery flavors. IMHO the Intake provides better flavor & quieter airflow with no leaking.

Thanks for that, useful even more so given you have both and vape the same types of juice. I thought the Serpent was noisy but I pulled out the Ammit 25 today in readiness for some juice coming tomorrow. Surprising how noisy I find even that now, not as whistly as the Serpent but not quiet for sure.

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
Thanks for that, useful even more so given you have both and vape the same types of juice. I thought the Serpent was noisy but I pulled out the Ammit 25 today in readiness for some juice coming tomorrow. Surprising how noisy I find even that now, not as whistly as the Serpent but not quiet for sure.
Do keep in mind that I mentioned better flavor but it’s not by leaps & bounds, just a little but the quiet af & no leaking are the real pluses to me.

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
I also mostly use RDAs/squonk these days, but I'm a really big fan of the Intake. If I go back to an RTA for regular use anytime soon, it will be the Intake.

As far as top airflow tanks, I'm also got the Solomon 2 (probably my second favorite), the Zeus and the Engine Nano. I haven't given the Zeus or Engine Nano a fair shot yet, but pleased with both the Intake and Solomon 2.

I like the Intake so much, I picked up a few for the vape closet since gear these days seems to only have about a 1 year shelf life until a new product is replaced or discontinued. VaporDNA sells the replacement bubble glass for the Intake for $1.99 each, so I grabbed a few of them as well. I may pick up one more Intake. Just one more.... LOL

Mysteron

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2018
Land of Smiles
Do keep in mind that I mentioned better flavor but it’s not by leaps & bounds, just a little but the quiet af & no leaking are the real pluses to me.

Yeah appreciate that, cheers. If it improves on the Ammit 25 it'll be good enough. I've not had big problems with the Ammit and leaking but if I forget to close the JFC I sometimes get some, like today! :( If it does away with that problem and the AF is quieter it'll be worth it, if the flavour improves even a bit it's a bonus, every little helps. Helps that I like the style / look of it more too.

Anyways, on the basis of this my curiosity got the better of me, ordered the black from the Augvape official store on Ali Express.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Yeah appreciate that, cheers. If it improves on the Ammit 25 it'll be good enough. I've not had big problems with the Ammit and leaking but if I forget to close the JFC I sometimes get some, like today! :( If it does away with that problem and the AF is quieter it'll be worth it, if the flavour improves even a bit it's a bonus, every little helps. Helps that I like the style / look of it more too.

Anyways, on the basis of this my curiosity got the better of me, ordered the black from the Augvape official store on Ali Express.
I think you'll be pleased with your purchase. For the last week I've been using the Intake for flavor testing a batch of sft'; I use it due to fast easy rewicking for flavor changes. Every type of flavor & base I've run through it has been on point. More versatile flavor wise than my Nanos actually.

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
I think you'll be pleased with your purchase. For the last week I've been using the Intake for flavor testing a batch of sft'; I use it due to fast easy rewicking for flavor changes. Every type of flavor & base I've run through it has been on point. More versatile flavor wise than my Nanos actually.
Wow that’s saying a lot for Letitia the Nano lover!

Mysteron

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2018
Land of Smiles
Thanks to the folks that convinced me the Intake was worth a shot. Really don't use tanks much at all these days but I find it useful to keep one in rotation for when I'm going somewhere where dripping would be a bit of a PITA and / or when I fancy a juice that maybe I don't vape much but that I keep around for a change of the juices I normally keep in the squonk bottles (normally rotating to a different flavour every 1-3 bottles).

Very impressed. Came very clean but washed it anyway, dismantling it was a breeze too compared to the Ammit which can be a nuisance. Real piece of cake to build, stuck in one of my favoured coil builds (frame stapled alien NiCr 80 2*28 + 4*0.1 /0.3 flat wrapped 36), 4 wraps for 0.26 ohm, wicked it in seconds (went for a thinned out bayonet tail with little more than a few strands dropped through the juice well slots, the remainder resting on top), very good flavour with an apple / spearmint mix (85% / 15%). Will be trying a range of flavours over the coming days to see what role I'll keep it in but will definitely keep it around.

I do definitely prefer it over what up until now has been my preferred RTA, the Ammit 25. The airflow is a tad tighter than I prefer but nothing off-putting. I do find the flavour I get (at least on the juice above - the juice the Ammit was mostly used for) better than the Ammit, it's definitely quieter and the no leak design of it is a definite plus. I rarely had leaking problems with the Ammit unless I forgot to close the JFC (I dislike JFC) when filling but often ran to check a mod when I forgot to take the Ammit off overnight, problem eradicated. The top fill cap is a well designed and implementd feature too. Looks better as well IMO, opted for the gunmetal with the (now vs blue) matching cap). Able to sustain chain vaping well too, albeit not something I do much. Will see how it performs with some bakery and dessert juices. The Ammit is now in the spares drawer alongside the Serpent SMM. I'd rate them Intake, Ammit, Serpent in terms of flavour.

Definitely one of my better (albeit few now) purchases this year, alongside the Paranormal 250C and Recurve RDAs :)

Last edited:

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Thanks to the folks that convinced me the Intake was worth a shot. Really don't use tanks much at all these days but I find it useful to keep one in rotation for when I'm going somewhere where dripping would be a bit of a PITA and / or when I fancy a juice that maybe I don't vape much but that I keep around for a change of the juices I normally keep in the squonk bottles (normally rotating to a different flavour every 1-3 bottles).

Very impressed. Came very clean but washed it anyway, dismantling it was a breeze too compared to the Ammit which can be a nuisance. Real piece of cake to build, stuck in one of my favoured coil builds (frame stapled alien NiCr 80 2*28 + 4*0.1 /0.3 flat wrapped 36), 4 wraps for 0.26 ohm, wicked it in seconds (went for a thinned out bayonet tail with little more than a few strands dropped through the juice well slots, the remainder resting on top), very good flavour with an apple / spearmint mix (85% / 15%). Will be trying a range of flavours over the coming days to see what role I'll keep it in but will definitely keep it around.

I do definitely prefer it over what up until now has been my preferred RTA, the Ammit 25. The airflow is a tad tighter than I prefer but nothing off-putting. I do find the flavour I get (at least on the juice above - the juice the Ammit was mostly used for) better than the Ammit, it's definitely quieter and the no leak design of it is a definite plus. I rarely had leaking problems with the Ammit unless I forgot to close the JFC (I dislike JFC) when filling but often ran to check a mod when I forgot to take the Ammit off overnight, problem eradicated. The top fill cap is a well designed and implementd feature too. Looks better as well IMO, opted for the gunmetal with the (now vs blue) matching cap). Able to sustain chain vaping well too, albeit not something I do much. Will see how it performs with some bakery and dessert juices. The Ammit is now in the spares drawer alongside the Serpent SMM. I'd rate them Intake, Ammit, Serpent in terms of flavour.

Definitely one of my better (albeit few now) purchases this year, alongside the Paranormal 250C and Recurve RDAs :)
Good to hear that it's working out for you. Definitely a good atty, I find any style of juice I put in it the taste is on point.

Mysteron

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2018
Land of Smiles
One thing I like about forums vs "Yeah they nailed it with this one" (don't they always :rolleyes:) YT 'reviews' is the experiences folks post about with different coils and positioning.

Had cause to re-wick the Intake today, I don't recall ordering any 'treacle and molasses' juice but one must've crept in somewhere and escaped the bin (rectified now!) so, having read this thread through again, I decided to go against what logic seems to dictate and raise the coil from 1-2mm above the airflow intake to the top of the coil being just a hair's breadth below the top of post screws. Didn't expect much difference but the difference is pretty phenomenal IMO, I find it much better raised.

Yet to try different coils, have a few on the list to try (dual and single core SS Clapton 26/32, NiCr 80 22/24 6 - 8 wrap, Kanthal 26 6-8 wrap and try out a couple of 2.5mm ID) which normally I find a bit of chore and do it to try and quickly identify 'best fit' but given the performance on this so far it will somewhat more enjoyable I think.

Only had one mishap where a couple of times I've had a mouthful of juice after I've filled up so I think I may have thinned the wicks out too much that time, trying to strike the balance between too little and too much wick. Got round it by cranking the power up to burn the excess off, problem goes away then. Will leave denser tails next time. I did switch out the drip tip to a Recurve tip but I doubt that would be the cause. Also found that filling the tank in one shot kinda ASAP made the problem go away too, so likely overly thinned wicks that with the second / third fill got fully saturated and expanded, plugging the wells better. Always a degree of trial and error but not much error with this. The Ammit needed seriously thinned out tails to perform well, likely a hangover from that, likely doesn't need so much.

Last edited:

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
One thing I like about forums vs "Yeah they nailed it with this one" (don't they always :rolleyes:) YT 'reviews' is the experiences folks post about with different coils and positioning.

Had cause to re-wick the Intake today, I don't recall ordering any 'treacle and molasses' juice but one must've crept in somewhere and escaped the bin (rectified now!) so, having read this thread through again, I decided to go against what logic seems to dictate and raise the coil from 1-2mm above the airflow intake to the top of the coil being just a hair's breadth below the top of post screws. Didn't expect much difference but the difference is pretty phenomenal IMO, I find it much better raised.

Yet to try different coils, have a few on the list to try (dual and single core SS Clapton 26/32, NiCr 80 22/24 6 - 8 wrap, Kanthal 26 6-8 wrap and try out a couple of 2.5mm ID) which normally I find a bit of chore and do it to try and quickly identify 'best fit' but given the performance on this so far it will somewhat more enjoyable I think.

Only had one mishap where a couple of times I've had a mouthful of juice after I've filled up so I think I may have thinned the wicks out too much that time, trying to strike the balance between too little and too much wick. Got round it by cranking the power up to burn the excess off, problem goes away then. Will leave denser tails next time. I did switch out the drip tip to a Recurve tip but I doubt that would be the cause. Also found that filling the tank in one shot kinda ASAP made the problem go away too, so likely overly thinned wicks that with the second / third fill got fully saturated and expanded, plugging the wells better. Always a degree of trial and error but not much error with this. The Ammit needed seriously thinned out tails to perform well, likely a hangover from that, likely doesn't need so much.
I too among many of us have found contrary to what we thought the flavor is better with the coil higher. I have mine a hairs breath above the post screws.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread