Status
Not open for further replies.

DP2Raja

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2012
New Mexico
I went with Rayon which pretty much means cutting instead of thinning, really should try cotton with the higher coil though too... I've always had better flavor on a GTA style hole with cotton. Worked it like this. I had tried lowering that 2.5mm coil by 1mm increments twice, and the flavor lessened each time. Probably not for everyone as it does increase the vape temp a lot especially with the bigger coil, but I'm enjoying it with everything I've tossed in and I'm glad to be rid of that weird dryness I was getting with the coil lower.

Thanks for the pics. Looks really good. I put my 3mm almost exactly to the same height as your 3.5mm. Just about even with the top of the screws (just a hair or two higher) and from what I can see in your pics, I'm about 1/16 inch lower than yours. The flavor is very good. Not sure if it is much different than my 2.5 coil that was a bit lower. With the legs on the bottom of the coil, like yours and Hearts (probably most) I had it almost perfectly vertically aligned with the post slots. Now with the 3mm coil I have pushed the coil up so there is a slight angle on the legs. Both set ups have been fantastic on flavor and wicking. I really love the vape off this thing.

DP2Raja

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2012
New Mexico
In that regard, that's why I love the Zeus much better. In the single coil, air is taken down by the grills that go into the upper chamber. I don't like those tubes, eventually they'll come down. I prefer side airflow as in the Zeus or Crius.

I'm getting much better flavor from the Intake than the Zeus. Just my experience having them both. The Intake is even better than the Zeus Dual IMO. I know there are plenty of Zeus lovers out there and I am not trying to put a damper on that enthusiasm. If ya love it, ya love it!
I don't see any reason why the tubes would come down. I don't see a weak point with them, but only time will tell. I like the way they direct (for real, not just sort of) the air to become a bottom airflow. I'm sure there is some "leakage" since there is no actual seal where the tubes go into the bottom of the top air chamber, but 90% of the air is directed to below the coil and forced upward. Ideal for my kind of vaping.

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
Thanks for the pics. Looks really good. I put my 3mm almost exactly to the same height as your 3.5mm. Just about even with the top of the screws (just a hair or two higher) and from what I can see in your pics, I'm about 1/16 inch lower than yours. The flavor is very good. Not sure if it is much different than my 2.5 coil that was a bit lower. With the legs on the bottom of the coil, like yours and Hearts (probably most) I had it almost perfectly vertically aligned with the post slots. Now with the 3mm coil I have pushed the coil up so there is a slight angle on the legs. Both set ups have been fantastic on flavor and wicking. I really love the vape off this thing.
I’ve been out all weekend. So I haven’t had time to form an opinion yet. I’ll report back towards the middle of the week.

joeblowma

Jun 1, 2017
Canada
I'm about 1/16 inch lower than yours. The flavor is very good.
I actually wound up lowering it just a bit when I switched to cotton, probably not 1/16 inch but close, so I don't know if it was lowering it or changing the wick entirely that made a difference but it did improve a little bit more where with similarly lowering the plain wire coil the effect was drastic. Will try with a 3mm down the road though, I'm thinking 3.5mm is just a little bit too much at the moment, but I'm really enjoying it hopefully it doesn't burn out my taster. Still trying to eradicate the early association with poor flavor I had from using it with the coil pushed down towards the air, seems like every puff it surprises me by being great instead of missing something important.

I think it's fair to say with Intake that too high or too low does it no flavor favors and leave it at that. Thanks everyone for the thread, it was a great read while I was (impatiently) waiting on the post!

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
Happy to report I raised my 3mm Fused Clapton, the top of the coil is 2 or 3 hairs :Dlower than the post screws & the flavor has improved quite noticeably. Boy am I surprised as I have read also to place the coil really low close to the airflow.

DP2Raja

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2012
New Mexico
Happy to report I raised my 3mm Fused Clapton, the top of the coil is 2 or 3 hairs :Dlower than the post screws & the flavor has improved quite noticeably. Boy am I surprised as I have read also to place the coil really low close to the airflow.

Yes, Hearts, logic would say keep the coil close to the airflow...I find it raised a bit gives really good flavor. Wicking it right also adds to the flavor by allowing full saturation of the wicks and a really rich, saturated vape. Overall the Intake is a winner IMO. Hope you are enjoying it.

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
A6ACEFDE-ADE3-4CDA-85C8-CF5BAEC44DDD.jpeg
Yes, Hearts, logic would say keep the coil close to the airflow...I find it raised a bit gives really good flavor. Wicking it right also adds to the flavor by allowing full saturation of the wicks and a really rich, saturated vape. Overall the Intake is a winner IMO. Hope you are enjoying it.
Yes I am! Thanks! Here’s a pic for coil height reference. Please excuse the color of the wicks, it’s the juice. ;)

Rangertrix

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2013
Collinsville, OK
I'm getting much better flavor from the Intake than the Zeus. Just my experience having them both. The Intake is even better than the Zeus Dual IMO. I know there are plenty of Zeus lovers out there and I am not trying to put a damper on that enthusiasm. If ya love it, ya love it!
I don't see any reason why the tubes would come down. I don't see a weak point with them, but only time will tell. I like the way they direct (for real, not just sort of) the air to become a bottom airflow. I'm sure there is some "leakage" since there is no actual seal where the tubes go into the bottom of the top air chamber, but 90% of the air is directed to below the coil and forced upward. Ideal for my kind of vaping.

I agree.
I like the looks of my Zeus better, but I get better flavor from my Intake.
I've also noticed that my Intake isn't near as thirsty as my Zeus with the same builds.

Rangertrix

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2013
Collinsville, OK
I actually wound up lowering it just a bit when I switched to cotton, probably not 1/16 inch but close, so I don't know if it was lowering it or changing the wick entirely that made a difference but it did improve a little bit more where with similarly lowering the plain wire coil the effect was drastic. Will try with a 3mm down the road though, I'm thinking 3.5mm is just a little bit too much at the moment, but I'm really enjoying it hopefully it doesn't burn out my taster. Still trying to eradicate the early association with poor flavor I had from using it with the coil pushed down towards the air, seems like every puff it surprises me by being great instead of missing something important.

I think it's fair to say with Intake that too high or too low does it no flavor favors and leave it at that. Thanks everyone for the thread, it was a great read while I was (impatiently) waiting on the post!

I run a simple 3mm 26g SS316l coil sitting fairly close to the airflow and found it works quite well.
I found that too much wick really mutes the flavor a lot.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I raised my coil yesterday when I changed juice and wick and I am pleasantly surprised to find the flavor pretty good. Think I need to thin my tails a bit more. I was in a hurry and doesn’t seem as saturated this time. Raising the coil warped it just enough that the COTN threads wouldn't fit so went with rayon. Do have the threads in two of the Nanos and loving this wick. Literally no tweaking needed, no spitting, gurgling and keeps up like a champ with max vg. Also used them in the Recurve and they are great in the rda as well. I can see adding COTN to the cart with any future orders.

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I received my FT order yesterday. The cotton threads I got just have the straw on one end and I was thinking that the COTN ones had one on each end in the picture. I wicked with one this morning. The description said they would fit a 3mm coil. They are actually a little too fat to fit in the 3mm coil I made. I had to skim some of the cotton off to get it through the coil. Not a bad thing though if I wanted to use them for a bigger coil. I've only had it in a little while but so far it seems good. No noticeable taste from the cotton except for the first one or two pulls. They are handy. I don't think I could get two coils out of one thread though unless maybe it was in a small deck.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2013
    Sugar Hill, Georgia
    I feel like I'm repeating myself....but who cares?

Although I'm not crazy about the designer...I bought a few Intakes thinking my wife would like them. She's still using the Hurricane V1.3's. She loves them but filling could be considered kind of a pain. (not by me....it's simple)

The Intakes showed up today and they're great!Flavor is good and the airflow is nice and smooth. Quiet, even. Filling is a breeze and they look pretty nice. Between the Recurve RDA and the Intake RTA, I must admit he's doing a great job.

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 10, 2015
    I feel like I'm repeating myself....but who cares?

Although I'm not crazy about the designer...I bought a few Intakes thinking my wife would like them. She's still using the Hurricane V1.3's. She loves them but filling could be considered kind of a pain. (not by me....it's simple)

The Intakes showed up today and they're great!Flavor is good and the airflow is nice and smooth. Quiet, even. Filling is a breeze and they look pretty nice. Between the Recurve RDA and the Intake RTA, I must admit he's doing a great job.
    That’s great! Now let’s see if it passes the wife test lol!

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2013
    Sugar Hill, Georgia
    That’s great! Now let’s see if it passes the wife test lol!
    They did...she said to park the Hurricanes. (I cried a little) The flavor isn't as good as a Hurricane but the leak resistance and ease of filling makes up for it in her eyes. It's a surprisingly good rta.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread