Status
Not open for further replies.

dc2k08

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2008
.ie
www.e-cignews.com
He told the Herald Sun about 20,000 Egars had been sold in Australia - half of these in Victoria - and the ban was a result of political pressure and the Government's inability to collect the tobacco tax from their sale.

Well at least he called them out. whose next?
Interesting that this isn't a nationwide ban and that only the cartridges were banned. If I was the supplier there, I would try and get around the ban by selling the devices on their own and the nicotine liquid in containers marked as "not meant for consumption". Then I'd wait for the goons to show up.

by the way, have you seen the "ioniser" his device uses. I haven't seen that type before. It looks like the bridge is made from something other than steel wool but I can't tell what. Is it like that on some mini models ?

http://www.egar.com.au/images/egar_products_kit.jpg

Last edited:

Papa Lazarou

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2008
UK

Di

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 30, 2008
*Australia*
this is from the report --

BATTERY-powered cigarettes, sold as a "healthier alternative" and a way to beat smoking bans, will be outlawed in Victoria from Friday.
that covers all of it, e-cigs cigars pipes and e-liquid containing nicotine.

read this one too-----
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/australian-e-smokers/4861-end-days-real.html#post76223

they are covering electronic cigarettes and e-liquid containing nicotine for human consumption.

Di ......

Last edited:
You just can't win with the anti-smoking lobby. They've got that one-eyed self righteous approach, and the fanatical zeal to ruin everyone's fun.

A mate just emailed this to me, not sure which paper it came from:

Battery powered cigarettes put out

Wednesday, December 31, 2008 » 12:10pm

Battery powered cigarettes that give pseudo smokers a hit of nicotine vapour have been banned in Victoria .
The devices resemble a traditional cigarette and contain nicotine cartridges that create puffs of vapour through an atomiser, like smoke.
From tomorrow, the sale and use of nicotine cartridges will be illegal in Victoria and the advertising of battery powered cigarettes banned.
Health Minister Daniel Andrews said nicotine was highly addictive and toxic and was rapidly absorbed through the skin, inhalation and ingestion.
He said users of battery powered cigarettes were in danger of nicotine poisoning, with acute exposure causing possible damage to the mouth, eyes and nervous, digestive and musculoskeletal systems.
'Long-term exposure is associated with cardiovascular disease caused by the effects of nicotine on heart rate, blood pressure and cardiac contraction,' Mr Andrews said.
'The fatal dose in an adult is from 40 to 60mg and 10mg for children and prompt treatment of nicotine poisoning is essential.'
The new laws come after the government this month announced plans to ban smoking in cars with children from 2010 and prohibit tobacco point-of-sale displays in retail outlets the following year.
The measures are part of the Tobacco Control Strategy, which aims to cut smoking rates by 20 per cent by 2013.

Not being one to sit on my heels....
Here is a copy of a e-mail sent just now to the "Hon" Mr Andrews

Dear Mr Andrews, I am writing to you directly in response to reading an online article at the Herald Sun website.
I would like clarification on a few matters pertaining to this reported ban on the sale of devices.
I write this to you as a user of these products which today being the 31/12/08 are still legal ..
I would appreciate if you could address the following questions.
-On what basis have you implemented the ban , what are the parameters for existing use of the devices for existing users.

-Could you please provide to me studies or reports which you have used in making this decision

-I understand sale of consumables will no longer be able to be carried out in Victoria, will we still be able to buy from interstate and overseas?

-What consultation, if any was made with the electronic smokers within your electorate or in fact the State of Victoria?

- Why does your Government authorise, and profit from, the sale of nicotine in cigarettes and outlaw a form of nicotine delivery that has no carcinogens, and 4000 chemicals less than tobacco?

- Is the ban only on the sale or of the USE of such devices and consumables?, is it only relevant to Victoria

I freely admit I am addicted to Nicotine, I have made a informed personal choice on the method I choose to deliver it.
Your banning of these devices in my eyes smacks more of supporting the tobacco companies and your tax revenue than of being in the confines of your portfolio.
I understand Nicotine is a poisonous substance, I understand it is addictive, and I understand that used incorrectly it may cause harm.
I also understand that quitting smoking is a better thing for everyone concerned, I understand that MY choice of delivery is far better for me and those around me than lighting a cigarette !!!
Like any poison , I , and I am sure ANY other user of electronic cigarettes understand that care should be taken in its storage and use.
What I don't understand is how your government can allow and tax a recognised UNHEALTHY delivery method , and OUTLAW another which promises far better outcomes???
I attach a PDF file of Dr Murray Laugesen's interim safety report 2008 from Health New Zealand for your consideration ... could you so kindle please forward to me in kind , ANY scientific reports you have commissioned on this matter???

Cheers
Simon Willson

His e-mail address is daniel.andrews@parliament.vic.gov.au

I am taking some solace in the fact that the ban is only in Victoria at the moment. Hopefully it would be still ok to import??

Last edited:

lucisac

ECF Veteran
Sep 15, 2008
The ban follows the release of the Brumby Government's Tobacco Control Strategy 2008-2013, which aims to reduce smoking rates by 20 per cent.
The new regulation, which comes into effect tomorrow, outlaws the manufacture, sale, supply, purchase, possession or use of unregulated nicotine delivery systems.

Ban on battery-powered smokes | theage.com.au

A follow up email to him also

"
The new regulation, which comes into effect tomorrow, outlaws the manufacture, sale, supply, purchase, possession or use of unregulated nicotine delivery systems.

The decision will have no effect on the sale of nicotine replacement therapies, which are used to assist people stop smoking."

As quoted from the Herald Sun website

Apparently at Midnight tonight I , presently a law abiding citizen of this state , will become a criminal in your eyes,

Happy New Year, it appears my government in their wisdom wishes me to assume a criminal state or return to being a harmful purchaser of tobacco . I know you will be saying " O.K. Mr Willson ... then quit !!! " but as your own reports will tell you , an addict FORCED to quit by another party seldom will achieve their aims.... I chose to be a healthier consumer, you appear to choose me to be an unhealthier one... I feel that you in doing this have failed to meet your obligations as Health Minister .

Cheers
Simon Willson

Di

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 30, 2008
*Australia*
I know we shouldn't
but dammit,
they want to ban the one thing that is actually achieving their goal........

most people, many people, who are using these e-cigs have quit tobacco cigs,
and many will quit nicotine over time,

the incidence of quitting in % I would like to see.

I bet it is a lot better than all their patches and gum.

Di ......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread