Status
Not open for further replies.

WolfeReign

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2011
Wolfe Paradise
First off if this is in the wrong section then oppsum (?)

I have a aw imr 18490 battery for my bolt and long story short, i checked the volts on it last night which was around 3.6V, then forgot to check it as i used it today. The Bolt just stopped working, i checked to make sure it was not the cart then called myself a few choice names when i realized the battery was too low to power the bolt.

When i checked the "dead" 18490 i was sitting at 2.3V which i put on the trust fire tr-00 to charge, and put a fresh battery (only have two of them) in the bolt and i am off to the races with the vivi nova again.

So my question is, is there a certain level i should remove the 18490? is charging it from the state of 2.3V going to cause it, or the bolt damage? I am asking as i thought i read somewhere on ecf that if they get that low you need to toss them?

I mean if it is more then safe to allow them to get too low then yeah for me, though with the vivi nova on there i doubt it would allow that as the bridgeless atomizer and kanger did.....

scalewiz

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2011
If the battery charged up OK and you were able to vape with it, I wouldn't worry too much. Don't make a habit of it or you will most certainly destroy the battery.

That is the problem with using an unprotected battery with a device that won't cut it off should the actual battery voltage be too low. Any mechanical mod or simple unregulated mod will most certainly be able to over-discharge an unprotected battery. But it is best to remove and recharge that battery when is gets down to about 3.2 volts or so. Over-discharge GREATLY increases the risk of battery failure.

greekbasil

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
no , Imr batteries are not protected because they have a safer chemistry...basically they say that if they go thermal they won't start a fire....anyway for the op, get yourself an extender cap for your bolt and a kick by evolve and you'll get a better vape and it will cut your battery off at a safe 3.2v so you know it needs to be charged

DummyMe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2011
North Carolina
Here's what happened to me: I had an ePower battery. I charged it normally, no problems, read 4.1V. I stuck it in my pocket, along with my ePower & went to work. I vaped on the ePower all day until the battery inside it went dead. I installed the charged battery in it, the battery was dead, no vape at all. When I got home, I checked the battery with my voltmeter, it read 2.4V. I put it on the charger, got green light, it never turned red. Battery is done, it must have shorted against the ePower and/or pocket change. Lesson learned - put spare batteries in a plastic bag before putting in pocket. (I let the battery just sit on my desk for several days & the voltage came up to 2.8V, still wouldn't charge.)

WolfeReign

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2011
Wolfe Paradise
no , Imr batteries are not protected because they have a safer chemistry...basically they say that if they go thermal they won't start a fire....anyway for the op, get yourself an extender cap for your bolt and a kick by evolve and you'll get a better vape and it will cut your battery off at a safe 3.2v so you know it needs to be charged

I was thinking on getting a kick, but was not sure with just having the 18490's in there if i needed a extension cap or not for the kick now i know i do need that first. Seeing as i have three evo's, and the revolution 2 (which i use as a pass through box mod more then a bottom feeder) i thought i would get a bolt for those times i would need the lower volts like a ego (without the ego's airy like draw)...i had no clue i would like it so much in the mean time

If the battery charged up OK and you were able to vape with it, I wouldn't worry too much. Don't make a habit of it or you will most certainly destroy the battery.

That is the problem with using an unprotected battery with a device that won't cut it off should the actual battery voltage be too low. Any mechanical mod or simple unregulated mod will most certainly be able to over-discharge an unprotected battery. But it is best to remove and recharge that battery when is gets down to about 3.2 volts or so. Over-discharge GREATLY increases the risk of battery failure.

So far the charging went ok, as for vaping on i have no real clue as soon as i did the volt meter i slapped a fresh battery into the bolt as the other one that i had drained down to 2.3V was charging. When i removed it off the charger i got a 4.2V reading last night and i checked it again and still got a 4.2V reading. I have not placed it in the bolt right now, as ......well a bit of paranoia and wondering if i am still risking being put into low earth orbit lol. But i will try it a bit later today with just a bridgless LR 510 atty and keep a eye on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread