AW IMR 18650 in Innokin SVD, Getting a little hot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve0311

Oct 19, 2013
NY, USA
Hi folks, new guy here so this question may seem stupid but I need to ask.

Just got an Innokin SVD and I put a charged AW IMR 18650 battery in there. It had charged fully yesterday on an xtar WP2, and so has had a day to "Rest". I've noticed that when I chain vape at higher wattages (in the 10 watt range) the tube on the mod starts to warm up a little. I'm brand new to mods and these batteries, so I wanted to know if this is normal. It doesn't get HOT, just warm to the touch. The tube then immediately cools down. When I pulled the battery out, there was no melting, no engaging of the fail-safes of the mod, and the battery was cool to the touch. I don't believe I overcharged the battery, nor do I believe I have a knock-off AW IMR. By chain vaping, I mean doing about 8-10 long vapes in a row at a mid-high wattage.

Any ideas on whether I'm in trouble or if this is just normal operation? Thanks.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
That's a great battery for this mod Steve. My first thought is that it's probably not the battery that's heating up, but the mod from the chain vaping. It would be heating the top of the SVD first. Is this the case? What do you have on it, clearo/carto/RBA? That would be getting warmer than the mod.

If it is the battery making the tube warm, don't continue to vape it, something would be stressing the battery and once they start getting warm in use it's not safe.

Couple more questions if it's the battery getting warm. About how many charge, discharge cycles on the battery and where did you buy it from?

Steve0311

Oct 19, 2013
NY, USA
That's a great battery for this mod Steve. My first thought is that it's probably not the battery that's heating up, but the mod from the chain vaping. It would be heating the top of the SVD first. Is this the case? What do you have on it, clearo/carto/RBA? That would be getting warmer than the mod.

If it is the battery making the tube warm, don't continue to vape it, something would be stressing the battery and once they start getting warm in use it's not safe.

Couple more questions if it's the battery getting warm. About how many charge, discharge cycles on the battery and where did you buy it from?

Thanks for the info! Using the iclear30 that came with it, battery is brand new and hasn't been deplete once, came from Volcano with my Lavatube 2.5. Like you said, the iclear30 gets warm before the body gets warm (noticed this after you said it). After looking at what you and the poster below you said, I took a closer look at whats happening and I think it is more the Mod itself heating up rather than the battery. When I take the battery out right after vaping, it's perfectly cool.

At 10 watts - and chain vaping - it sounds like the Innokin is doing what it's gonna do. The mod body itself is acting as the heat sink, dissipating the heat away from the regulator. The body of my Tesla will get warm too if I push it hard, but not the battery itself.

Yup! I had hoped this was the case, and this is what I think is happening, just a normal reaction to doing what it does. Thanks!

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
*SNIP By chain vaping, I mean doing about 8-10 long vapes in a row at a mid-high wattage.

Any ideas on whether I'm in trouble or if this is just normal operation? Thanks.

Yup! You are hitting it way to hard, although both the mod and batt can cope. In the days of old if the system got too hot, it simply shut off and told you! Son time to slow down.

Camaroboi13

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2013
San Bernardino, CA, USA
I didn't want to crowd up the threads with a new topic on the same question so I figured I'd ask it here. I'm using an Ihybrid clone with a typical genny atty in it. I just got it about a week ago, and decided I wanted to make my own coil. I have a 4 round wrap of 32awg kanthal wire, and 400 mesh that I just picked up. Everything seemed to go ok, I went through the whole process of burning the wick and all that good stuff, and it seems to be vaping way better than the factory coil/wick setup did. It does get noticeably hotter, but I have been beating on the poor battery for the last 10 minutes getting rid of hot spots and whatnot. Probably turned it off and on some 20 times in a span of about 3 minutes, burning for 3-5 seconds at a time. As soon as I felt the body get warm I immediately unscrewed the battery and took it out, and set it on the other side of the counter lol. Within a couple minutes everything was back down to the temp it should be. I am assuming this is because I was pushing her a little harder than I normally would, but would definitely like some insight on this. Thanks for any input in advance guys!

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
It sounds to me like the same issue Camaroboi. Was the battery warm when you took it out and what make & model/mAh battery is it?

Also, do you know the resistance of the coil? I'm betting it's not too low because it's 32 gauge with 4 wraps, but if your battery turns out to be poor, this info could help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread