B&M poor customer service.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oberon75

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2014
Roseville, Mi, USA
I called two different ones just to get a price on coils. Both refused to give me a price. Its due to competition, they claim. But what about customer service? That apparently doesn't matter in this market? And this is only one of many problems I've had with these B&M's

It's especially lame considering I have spent over $500 in the one store over the past three months. The one guy I talked to even recognised my voice but still claimed he was not allowed to give me a price.

Dealing with online vendors, I have received some of the best customer service ever which has even included personalized, hand written thank you notes for my purchase. And never do I need to build an order before knowing a price. But dealing with a B&M feels more like dealing with an arms dealer. Do they not realize that we are who keeps them in business? Instead they think they are doing us the favor. At least the ones I've dealt with anyway.

Danbrooks2k

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2013
Pensacola, Florida
I thought they only did that around my area. I heard they got a new line of juice in so I called to get a little info. They said we cant discuss that over the phone?! ...?

When I arrived I still couldnt get them to give me any idea of the vg/pg ratio of this new juice... and it did not taste at all like Frankenvape when I got it home.

I am oficially done with B&M shops unless I am completely out of something I need before going offshore for 3 weeks. But No more back up tanks or batteries, no new anything... just coils and maybe non house juice if I have already tried it before. A good place to window shop, but unless I get into Houston or some place civilized I would rather not even bother.

Oberon75

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2014
Roseville, Mi, USA
One of, it not the most important retail sales practices is to get customers into the store which increases sales potential exponentially. My wife got me a gift certificate at my favorite B&M and they reminded her that it is only redeemable when present in store, no phone or online purchases. And they do know me well.
Well in this case it didn't work since I just finished purchasing a 5 pack of BVC's, online instead. I'll also be sure to leave my review of both B&M's on yelp, yellow pages, etc. The one B&M is already rated with one star.

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
Most B&M's I have been in are owned and operated by people who have never done retail before. Not experienced with customer service, they seem to love the scene, but fatigue easily with the people factors, resulting in poor service.

I don't blame them for the increased price - rent and staff cost money. I also don't blame them for not knowing everything (I run reos, which most have never heard of) - it's a fast-evolving industry. I do, however, hold them to task for not being able to deliver the same level of service that I get at, say, Walmart or an Apple Store, whether it's pertaining to product information/pricing or personal interaction.

VaPreis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I understand the policy of the B&M, and don't find it surprising at all. There is a lot of local competition in our area.

When I was a teenager working at a local gas station, neighboring stations (posing as customers) would call and ask how much our regular unleaded was.

Come down and see for yourself!

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
I called two different ones just to get a price on coils. Both refused to give me a price. Its due to competition, they claim. But what about customer service? That apparently doesn't matter in this market? And this is only one of many problems I've had with these B&M's

It's especially lame considering I have spent over $500 in the one store over the past three months. The one guy I talked to even recognised my voice but still claimed he was not allowed to give me a price.

Dealing with online vendors, I have received some of the best customer service ever which has even included personalized, hand written thank you notes for my purchase. And never do I need to build an order before knowing a price. But dealing with a B&M feels more like dealing with an arms dealer. Do they not realize that we are who keeps them in business? Instead they think they are doing us the favor. At least the ones I've dealt with anyway.

check your local laws. they may be prohibited from quoting
prices over the phone.
regards
mike

Oberon75

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2014
Roseville, Mi, USA
Most B&M's I have been in are owned and operated by people who have never done retail before. Not experienced with customer service, they seem to love the scene, but fatigue easily with the people factors, resulting in poor service.

I don't blame them for the increased price - rent and staff cost money. I also don't blame them for not knowing everything (I run reos, which most have never heard of) - it's a fast-evolving industry. I do, however, hold them to task for not being able to deliver the same level of service that I get at, say, Walmart or an Apple Store, whether it's pertaining to product information/pricing or personal interaction.
Right but the one B&M consists of a 55 store chain which has been a tobacco shop for years before stocking vape supplies.

Now I don't mind the extra cost of convenience but customer service is a huge thing for me. I discussed this with my fiance as well who is a customer service manager/trainer for the fifth largest retail chain in the world. She pretty much agreed with everything I was saying about these practices.

I don't understand why everything is so cutthroat to the point of denying a customer, information on a product. It's not like there is a ton of local competition.

Oberon75

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2014
Roseville, Mi, USA
check your local laws. they may be prohibited from quoting
prices over the phone.
regards
mike
Doubt it considering I've never had a retailer deny me a price before. Even another B&M was willing to quote me a price on an iPV mini a couple weeks ago. Only problem is, they are like 20 miles away vs this place being around the block.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
Right but the one B&M consists of a 55 store chain which has been a tobacco shop for years before stocking vape supplies.

Now I don't mind the extra cost of convenience but customer service is a huge thing for me. I discussed this with my fiance as well who is a customer service manager/trainer for the fifth largest retail chain in the world. She pretty much agreed with everything I was saying about these practices.

I don't understand why everything is so cutthroat to the point of denying a customer, information on a product. It's not like there is a ton of local competition.

see my response to your original post.
they may not be able to quote prices over the phone.
regards
mike

Sir Pouncival

Verified Member
Nov 3, 2014
Indianapolis, IN, USA
When I see a local B&M sell clones as authentics or clones at near-authentic prices, I do not trust any advice or recommendation they give me. I don't expect the deals I get online, but I don't want to be ripped off in any way. There are also a few shops around here where the people either seem bored or are just plain unfriendly. I will pay more if I know the dude who works there is going to be happy and helpful. I also would like to see more variety from all the shops. They all seem to sell the same 3-5 mods and 3 tanks.

bussdriver

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2013
There is a B&M about a mile away that opened about 3 months ago, and another store (different owner) 25 miles away that opened just before. I've been to both.

The local store is large, with chairs, couches, etc. When you walk through the door though, you immediately feel as though they don't even care about your presence. If you want something, they are more than happy to make the sale. But conversation is difficult. Seems unfriendly in there. The clerks don't even seem knowledgeable about vaping. Juice sampling is limited to about a dozen CE4s. They toss out an unprotected tip in a bowl along with an ego battery, and then walk away. The samples contain nicotine in varying amounts. Some are so high in nic they 'bout knock you down. All of them are house juices. I wanted a battery a couple weeks ago. They had one lonely VTC? wrapped in green; TWENTY EIGHT BUCKS! Didn't buy that battery.

Went to the other store for the first time. I was greeted with a smile as I walked through the door, They were more than willing to spend time with a vaper, new or experienced. The clerks knew their stuff; I could tell by what devices they were using behind the counter. Their juice tasting area covered an entire wall, with the option to try 50 or 60 flavors if you desired, all of them 0 nic. The tip they offered had a condom to keep it clean. No pressure, sit in the chairs and try every one if you want while you interact. Good selection of mods, starter devices, tanks, drippers, on and on. And they did it in a much smaller and cozy environment. They made you feel welcome! Prices on everything much more in line. Of course, a B&M has to charge more than online, but they kept it reasonable. In that place I bought a mod, couple of batteries, and a bottle of juice. I now go back every couple weeks just to stay in touch, wish them well, and make a purchase just to let them know I appreciate them.

It goes without saying which store will get my future business. I wish our local store the best, but without customer service, they won't be there long.

MrStik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2013
SoCal
Doubt it considering I've never had a retailer deny me a price before. Even another B&M was willing to quote me a price on an iPV mini a couple weeks ago. Only problem is, they are like 20 miles away vs this place being around the block.

IF the place that is not giving you the price over the phone due to their policy is just around the corner... how about.... just going around the corner.

Oberon75

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2014
Roseville, Mi, USA
i would still check.
these types of thing are all over the area.
here in Minnesota you can finally advertise your prices for
alcohol and tobacco products but you can't quote over the
phone. big no,no.
why? who knows.
mike
I just looked up the retailer tobacco laws for my state and it says no such thing. The one guy on the phone also confirmed to me it was because of competition.

I also confirmed with my fiance who has been a customer service manager for 18 years at a grocery chain that sells alcohol and tobacco. She too says there is no such law and answers alcohol and tobacco questions over the phone as well.

So this really does come down to denying me proper customer service just to get me in the door.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread