Hard For Me To Buy From Local B&M Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

GolfMan

Dec 26, 2017
I thought I would share my opinion.

There is a local B&M shop close to my house and I have been in there about 3 times now and have picked up three different juices so far. Each one was a different recommendation and so far only one I would consider buying again. Anyways, I want to support my local B&M shop because they are a small business and respect that, but it is hard for me to pay $15 for 30ml worth of ejuice that may or may not be any good. Plus there is a ton of different options online and usually can get a better deal. Only downside is shipping time, but usually not an option.

I just feel like they could do a lot more with their store and service they provide. Also, with being fairly new to vaping and that store being the only one I have ever been to, it kind of put me off from even bothering with B&M stores. I sure there is a lot of good ones out there, but not of fan of mine.

Does anyone else feel the same way about their local B&M shop?

Thanks!

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
B&M stores vary quite widely in quality. Just because you don’t like the one doesn’t mean you won’t like another. Juice prices are higher in stores in my area because there’s a 95% excise tax on it they can’t do much about. Might be similar in your area as well.

jfcooley

I find your lack of faith disturbing...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2017
Charlottesville, Virginia
I've found them to be hit or miss.
I think, price aside, if you're into regulated and tanks, and you prefer SMOK then you're good to go.

If you prefer almost anything else and affordable prices you're out of luck.

I do have 1 I would prefer, but it's a little drive and I don't get there often. She has a slightly better selection.

I can't fault them too much. They carry what the locals are buying.

GolfMan

Dec 26, 2017
I wouldn't mind supporting them but as I mix myself and it cost only around $1.50 per 60 ml. I won't be buying $15+ 30 ml bottles from them.

If they have equipment for a fair price I would buy it. Not often the case though

I thought about getting into DIY. Maybe one of these days haha.

B&M stores vary quite widely in quality. Just because you don’t like the one doesn’t mean you won’t like another. Juice prices are higher in stores in my area because there’s a 95% excise tax on it they can’t do much about. Might be similar in your area as well.

That is true, there is another one about 20 minutes away from me I may go check out one day. I don't know about the tax in my area? But could be the case like you said.

I've found them to be hit or miss.
I think, price aside, if you're into regulated and tanks, and you prefer SMOK then you're good to go.

If you prefer almost anything else and affordable prices you're out of luck.

I do have 1 I would prefer, but it's a little drive and I don't get there often. She has a slightly better selection.

I can't fault them too much. They carry what the locals are buying.

Haha funny you say that, because the one time I looked at their mods it was mainly Smok stuff. You're right, if they are making money and the locals are buying I guess you can't fault them.

I just have business background and I really just want to give them my personal opinion to try and help them out. I like to see small business owners succeed.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
This thread pops up from time to time and after about 20 pages or so, a general consensus forms that:
  • B&M's are pricier than online joints because of higher overhead
  • B&M's carry limited stock because of localized demand for a particular brand/type of hardware
  • Service varies widely from shop to shop and any one of them is luck o' the draw
  • Try before you buy is a good way to get started
  • An owner who mans his/her own storefront is hard to beat

jfcooley

I find your lack of faith disturbing...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2017
Charlottesville, Virginia
This thread pops up from time to time and after about 20 pages or so, a general consensus forms that:
  • B&M's carry limited stock because of localized demand for a particular brand/type of hardware
  • Service varies widely from shop to shop and any one of them is luck o' the draw
Had to take the fun right out of it, didn't you?

Reactions: redeuce

Sickbxy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2018
Spring, Texas
You left out the difference in high turnover (all 18 years old) versus the stores who treat their staff right and/ or a solid core crew.

Last edited:

Sickbxy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2018
Spring, Texas
It took me awhile to find the right store for me, I got to know staff at almost every shop within 15 miles, then after I got to know most everyone and really getting into the local community a couple of them sent me into the middle of nowhere to check out this shop that has the kinda gear you use and the owner and core staff know their stuff. The owner sat with me for a couple hours even though the line was out the door explaining why I wanted a SOI vs rig vs Kennedy side by side; how his shop was different; and what to expect from them, then he did a nice build and rewick on my Alpine.

I have another store I frequent, but a much different crowd. It is more the 18-20 crowd, it is just more a place to kick it and BS, I end up kicking down used gear to some of the kids and will do builds for them. It is more a social thing and place to spend down time down the street from my house.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
You don't state where you're located but visiting a different shop is certainly a reasonable option. Some shops will offer tastings so you know what you're buying before purchase. They usually have a small fee for tasting to comply with regulations, but if you're going to the trouble of a trip to a retail shop you should be able to take advantage of services like that which are unavailable online, short of buying a full sample set from an online vendor.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
It's hard for me to admit I won't support my local vape shop (which is pretty good) mainly because I DIY now, and they really don't carry equipment I would buy in any case. They were very helpful when I got started, but I also value self-sufficiency and I'm not going to buy juices I can make better myself, just to support a brick and mortar. I figure there are plenty of people doing that, it was always full when I went. I just... If you want me to buy something, don't shift stuff around an pull out a two year old regular nautilus tank when I ask what MTL stuff you have...

Anna

Sickbxy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2018
Spring, Texas
I checked out a new original shop, the owner was behind the bar, loved the atmosphere. It was set up like a high end smokers lounge, kinda felt like a cross between a cigar shop/ old time bar that you might find in San Francisco’s North Point. I wanted to like it so bad, especially since they had the sweetest shop cat that was obsessed with drip tips... They just didn’t have any selection, not even smok and their juice selection was barren. He mentioned he does special group orders with his high end vapers and when new cool stuff comes out; but I do not see the difference with buying online or getting it from my primary shop that has an established relationship with the manufacturers and gets preferential treatment and deals.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
Quick answer to your question, Yes. Going into mine is like a walk into a head shop in '68.

I thought I would share my opinion.

There is a local B&M shop close to my house and I have been in there about 3 times now and have picked up three different juices so far. Each one was a different recommendation and so far only one I would consider buying again. Anyways, I want to support my local B&M shop because they are a small business and respect that, but it is hard for me to pay $15 for 30ml worth of ejuice that may or may not be any good. Plus there is a ton of different options online and usually can get a better deal. Only downside is shipping time, but usually not an option.

I just feel like they could do a lot more with their store and service they provide. Also, with being fairly new to vaping and that store being the only one I have ever been to, it kind of put me off from even bothering with B&M stores. I sure there is a lot of good ones out there, but not of fan of mine.

Does anyone else feel the same way about their local B&M shop?

Thanks!

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
Most of the ones in SF are either Cigarette shops that sell vape stuff. Very limited selection of juice and equipment, plus expensive. Or they are headshop type setups.

There is one that is more like a smoking lounge with a couple couches. Has good equipment and lots of juice selections and will let you try the juice before you buy. The owner and workers are vaping up a storm too. But expensive.

Gone With The Smoke - Vape Shop - San Francisco

Riff

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2014
Texas
I had all but given up on locals. I mix myself 85% of the time, and for gear the net is just so hard to beat. But I went to one with a friend, and ran into an old friend. I made the other associates friends too. I can't beat some of the mixing advice I get in person, and the weekly special isn't too horrible on in house juice ($22 for 100ml) so I catch myself going in about 2-3 time a month to hang out, talk shop, and kinda support a local shop. Without these guys I don't think I'd be near as good and confidant mixing at home anyway. I'm really proud of how far I've come along, and it's thanks to them.

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
Most shops in my town cater to smokers that look to switch. They're maybe good for one or the other flavor and some VG/PG. There's only one shop that even has a decent selection of more advanced gear. But it's all old.
By the time devices reach us they're outdated because the TPD has this moronic waiting period of 6 months (it's really purely a waiting period, nothing happens during it), which means advanced users are ordering from China and/or countries that have a more relaxed view on things. Of course customs have picked up on this and it's become a game of cat and mice.

I'd be totally willing to pay the 10-20€ more for a device from a b&m store, at least then I have the opportunity to test it first or someone to complain to when the device doesn't work properly. Worth it imo.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Most shops in my town cater to smokers that look to switch
That strikes me as a good thing. Way too many shops here are no longer interested in that. Instead, they cater to the 30 ml per day cloudz crowd and you often can't see from one side of the store to the other due to that crowd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread