Status
Not open for further replies.

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
I have 6 18500/ 490 batteries that I bought a few months ago for when my Super-T ELA came in. I have only been using them since ELA came in which is probably about 3 weeks now. I notice that they just dont hold a charge very long. The only 2 out of the 4 that work properly and last longer than 30 mins consistantly are the Efest ones. THe other 4 IMR AWs just either dont work even after charging ( I do let them rest before popping them back in) or they only work for a few minutes or an hour at the longest.

I have always used AW IMR batteries in the past, 18650s but ELA is the first device that uses other sizes. I was wondering if anyone else has had any problems with AW ordered from about May this year or late March.

darkzero

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2013
SoCal
I have been using AW's in my custom flashlights for almost 10 years now & I have never received one that was bad. I have only killed two IMRs from neglecting to charge them when the voltage dropped too low. I have IMRs from when they first came out that are still performing fine.

On the ones that have issues, what are the resting voltages after a fresh charge? When measuring their voltages contiuously does the voltage gradually decrease? After measuring them off a charge, if you let them sit for a period time, check their voltage again, then sit for a period of time again, then check voltage again, are the readings less & less each time you check? Do they get very hot when charging? These are all signs of a bad cell.

Everytime one is discharged below 3.6v you risk causing damage to the cell & shortening it's life. Storing them below 3.6v will kill them. When they get down to 3.6v you should charge them immediately. Storing them fully charged for extended periods of time is not good practice either. If they won't charge up to 4.0v the cells are pretty much at the end of their life & shouldn't be used anymore.

Anytime I receive new cells that I purchased, I check the voltage to see what they are at, then charge to see what their resting voltage is after the charge. If both these readings are low I would contact the vendor but so far I haven't had to do so. In the past I have only purchased cells directly from AW & a few times from Lighthound. Since I started vaping I have only purchaded from RTD Vapor & once from Avid Vapor.

Last edited:

BurntHit

Jul 11, 2013
USA
Also never received a bad AW, and also been using them for years in my high end flashlights.

I agree with Darkzero but I feel his discharge voltage is a little conservative… which is fine, but I generally feel 3.4v is my personal max discharge. Advertised min from some manufactures is about 2.75v but I’ve never took a cell down that low.

If you have enough cells in rotation, getting them back on charge at 3.6v is perfectly fine.

In addition to what he said, I am also a little conservative on the charge voltage. I terminate at 4.1v which generally has a resting voltage about 4.08v on a quality cell with good health. I only do this to help promote cell life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread