Bad batch of Smoktech LR 1.7 ohm and XL LR 1.7 ohm going around...

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickZac

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2012
Baltimore, Maryland--US
My most recent experience with Smoktechs was really bad. Out of 10, 2 were just dead dead, 4 would vary when checking resistance between 1.3 and 3.2 (did this on both the Provari V2 and a multimeter), and all had the burnt to a crisp taste in no time, which would not go away regardless of fluid level/flush with fluid. Even more amusing is that some of these had one hole punched, some had two, and some did not have a punch at all. Really awful experience with this...I'm done with Smoktech as a company for good!

Algernon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2010
Rocky Mount, VA, USA
www.flickr.com
Wow, um. I sort of thought cartomizers were a no-brainer.

I've had nothing but good luck out of both my ST 1.7ohm SC cartos on my 3.7v devices and my Boge 3ohm ones on my VV and 5v devices.

I don't know what you guys are doing but both seem to average a week for me before they need to be changed out, which is normal.

I do punch them and use tanks, btw, if that has anything to do with it. I wouldn't have known anything was wrong if I didn't read the thread.

MisterCombo21

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 20, 2010
Syracuse NY

I've had nothing but good luck out of both my ST 1.7ohm SC cartos on my 3.7v devices and my Boge 3ohm ones on my VV and 5v devices.

I don't know what you guys are doing but both seem to average a week for me before they need to be changed out, which is normal.

I do punch them and use tanks, btw, if that has anything to do with it. I wouldn't have known anything was wrong if I didn't read the thread.

Any chance u can tell us where u buy your 1.7s? Also are u sure the ones u are buying are not old stock? That may explain why u haven't noticed anything....
What u said eased my mind a little... almost out of my stock of 1.7s from before this whole debacle and hope my next order is the same...

kookycole

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2012
Newark, OH
I purchased 10 of the LR 1.7 single coil smok techs, and at first I thought I'd found something wonderful. Great throat hit, best performing cartomizer I've ever used. Then I started getting ones that tasted burnt on the very first draw (I completely filled them and gave them plenty of time to soak in). One of them had a short, and my battery would turn itself off when I tried to use it. Has anyone had any luck with getting a refund or replacement from a vendor? Out of the 6 I've tried so far, half of them have been unusable from the very first, I'm wondering if that would count as DOA?

Algernon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2010
Rocky Mount, VA, USA
www.flickr.com
Any chance u can tell us where u buy your 1.7s? Also are u sure the ones u are buying are not old stock? That may explain why u haven't noticed anything....
What u said eased my mind a little... almost out of my stock of 1.7s from before this whole debacle and hope my next order is the same...

They're resurrector jr's from CCV...

but I also use 70/30 and/or 85/15 pg/vg juice.

I could wick juice into fort knox.

One thing to note is WHY the cartomizers might not be wicking juice or keeping it. I would say VG could be a problem for you guys if they did indeed change the filler material.

Me, on the other hand. I use tanks. VG is basically my nemesis and only slows me down. My juices are very thin.

It seems to me that, if a company did something that changed the product. One of two things would occur.

1. They would revert the change to make everyone happy.

2. People would figure out a way around it.

It seems that my way around it, and why I never noticed could be my high PG levels.

Last edited:

MisterCombo21

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 20, 2010
Syracuse NY
I purchased 10 of the LR 1.7 single coil smok techs, and at first I thought I'd found something wonderful. Great throat hit, best performing cartomizer I've ever used. Then I started getting ones that tasted burnt on the very first draw (I completely filled them and gave them plenty of time to soak in). One of them had a short, and my battery would turn itself off when I tried to use it. Has anyone had any luck with getting a refund or replacement from a vendor? Out of the 6 I've tried so far, half of them have been unusable from the very first, I'm wondering if that would count as DOA?

I would certainly contact them and ask for exchange.. my only indication that they changed the cartos was when I recently ordered 1.5 ohm single coil STs from big daddy and 2 out of 4 did the same thing w a short where the battery cuts out... they said I may have hit the wire when punching which may be true.. I started doing a punch a little higher to keep the upper filler wet too so it may be that... I could not see a scratch on the wire though when I dissected.
Anyway I returned them and they were very generous w an exchange.

Keekers

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
Michigan

I prime the carto put it on my REO and make sure it's full. Easy enough. I know it was the cartos. My Boges work great as long as I prime them first.

Algernon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2010
Rocky Mount, VA, USA
www.flickr.com
I prime the carto put it on my REO and make sure it's full. Easy enough. I know it was the cartos. My Boges work great as long as I prime them first.

I just wish Boge would make 1.5-1.8ohm cartomizers.

Someone start a petition, I don't think you will have a hard time getting everyone to sign it.

kookycole

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2012
Newark, OH
Just an update, I e-mailed the vendor where I bought my smok techs, and he says that he's noticed that there are more issues with the black cartomizers than with the stainless steel ones. Just wondering if this could be a factor for the people who have had some bad experiences with their cartomizers lately, I know that my bad batch were the black kind.

Algernon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2010
Rocky Mount, VA, USA
www.flickr.com
Just an update, I e-mailed the vendor where I bought my smok techs, and he says that he's noticed that there are more issues with the black cartomizers than with the stainless steel ones. Just wondering if this could be a factor for the people who have had some bad experiences with their cartomizers lately, I know that my bad batch were the black kind.

All of mine are stainless as I only use them in tanks... which is why I use cartomizers, I like carto-tanks, but anyhoo. I've noticed the poly-fill change on my last box of stainless cartos. I don't think it is exclusive. They may have produced the black ones before the stainless ones, or rather than making new black cartos, they may have just stickered old stock.

Who knows, a lot of what-ifs go into what goes on in China.

horton

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2010
Left Side of Florida
I've only purchased stainless steel 1.7's. I contacted the vendor when I noticed they were not lasting as long anymore and they pretty much intimated "it must be something I'm doing". Well, I haven't changed a thing. Same juice, same PV, same everything. I use either 90/10 or 85/15 PG/VG juice. It is very disappointing. The Boge XL or XXL seems to be doing a better job, but nothing to write home about. When I used to get a week or better out of one carto and now I'm getting at best 2 days I think I can safely say that something has changed with the cartos given that nothing else in my "equation" has changed.
The petition sounds like a great idea. As mentioned before, you would think the mfg. would change back to the polyfill they were using prior to this problem arising.

Keekers

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
Michigan

Algernon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2010
Rocky Mount, VA, USA
www.flickr.com
I should have stayed with the blonde hair. :facepalm:
Ok so who's going to get this petition going? :laugh:

PINK CARTOS!!!!!!! I never thought this day would come!!

Look further down in the main cartomizer forum. I started it last week. No one paid any attention to it. I did send out a few emails to larger people in the community like Pbusardo and VapinGreek. Phil pretty much just told me it was a waste of time.

Bmays

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Its a "waste of time" for those folks who use "other" methods. I.e., Genisis, etc. I have switched myself and the wife is the only one using cartos for now. She will soon be switching to Genisis (she just dont know it yet...lol). But, for those folks that dont want to switch, did switch and didnt like it, or are new to vaping and using cartos, its NOT a waste of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread