Bad carto, or bad juice to use with a carto?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinkiegrrl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
New York, NY
Just stopped by a new brick and mortar that opened near where I worked and for my first bottle of five pawns liquid. They had a 20% off all liquid happy hour going on, which made it cheaper then many online vendors. Beyond Vape in NYC by the way. Happy hour is between 5 and 9 pm, Mon thru Thurs. Anyway, I loaded a cartotank with it as soon as I got home. I'm getting less then desirable results with it. A pretty bad burnt/dry hit if I press the button and inhale for more then a second. The bottle says it's 50/50 mix, and I never had an issue with that mix in cartos with two holes, like I'm using. Boge by the way. I'm wondering, did I get a dud carto, or is five pawns just not something good for a carto tank?

BillyWJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 22, 2013
usa
I'd say a dud carto, I've seen numerous reviews of people using 5 Pawns in cartos just fine. This is just my experience, but I bought a 5 pack of Boge's last month, and 3 were bad. I went back to Smok's, which out of probably 20, I got one bad one. There were quality issues with Boge (Bogegate), so like me, you may have gotten some of the bad ones out there.

My samples aren't enough for a carto. :(

Rocketpunk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Dayton, Ohio
If you primed it the way you primed every other carto before it, and all those worked fine, I'd chalk it up to a bum carto. It happens to all of us. It's rare, but it does happen.

I can tell a bum carto from the crackling sound it makes. I know a healthy carto crackle. It's sort of like a very low frequency "static" sound. If it makes a "ssssssssssss" sound right off the bat, I know it's a dud and I know what the hit's gonna taste like.

EDIT: You mentioned Boge. I've been hearing murmurs that another Bogegate is happening. What was Bogegate? Well, it happened before I started using cartos, but evidently they had an epic run of bad batches that ...... a lot of people off. This was back in the day. Currently it seems to be happening with Kanger heads lately. I would call it Kangergate. It's just quality control over in China. Sucks that it pisses a lot of new vapers off and causes them to quit vaping altogether.

Last edited:

BillyWJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 22, 2013
usa
I also picked up Jameson's Peaches and Creme and Standard Vapes Cell Block 4

All on my "To try" list. :)

I'm holding off on more purchases a while, and am going to enjoy what I have, but I'm going to try a couple of Standard's, and all of the Jamesons. I like the bottles. I think finally after decades of not collecting anything, have found something to collect. I think 5 Pawn's sample bottles have awoken a monster...

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I agree with Rocket. He knows his cartotanks. :laugh: But then, who taught him?

Bogegate happened the summer of 2012. All their cartos had an "off" taste to them. People blamed it on the filler used. Boge denied any change, but then they allegedly improved. (I never cared for them and never bought them, so I wouldn't know)

I've also heard and read of the KangerGate coil heads being a problem.

Expect these problems to continue and possibly get worse. China is beginning their New Year Holiday when their workers take the month off. These workers sign contracts to work for a year, and then either sign back on or choose to return to their families as farm workers. Those that don't return, the manufacturers have to train new workers and try to catch up with a month's worth of missing inventory. Quality control can be worse than usual under these conditions.

Last edited:

Tinkiegrrl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
New York, NY
Yep. It was the carto. Primed and popped a new one in the tank, and it's vaping beautifully. What I need to find though are prepunched Smok cartos without flanges that can be bought in bulk. I don't like flanges, because it's harder and you loose more juice if you need to swap the carto out of a full tank. Also bought the boges because I found a bulk deal on them.

BillyWJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 22, 2013
usa
Ikenvape Platinum or 510 Fusions, myself. Smoktechs in reserve.

I'm debating getting either Five Pawns' Queenside (blood orange and cream) or Standard's Slo Mo, an orange dreamsicle.

Queenside is not a creamsicle, to me. It's spiced orange, and very good. There's supposed to be cream in it, maybe it's not steeped enough yet, but I'm not getting the cream.

Tinkiegrrl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
New York, NY
Ikenvape Platinum or 510 Fusions, myself. Smoktechs in reserve.

I'm debating getting either Five Pawns' Queenside (blood orange and cream) or Standard's Slo Mo, an orange dreamsicle.

I've tasted Slo Mo. It's good, but I just don't like orange creamsickle all that much. Wanted to try Queenside, but I was limited in time. Also limited in budget and since I bought everything I had time to try, it was better that I didn't try it. Also enjoy standard vapes Irie nights, and Frankenvape. Thing about Frankenvape though is that I wanted more marshmallow to come through for me and it just didn't. When I buy from a brick and mortar, I buy the premium juices because prices at a brick and mortar for those seem to be similar in price as online. Other juices I've seen in brick and mortars are sometimes double the price I can get online. If I'm going to spend the same amount per ml as a premium juice in a brick and mortar, I may as well buy the premium juice.

Tinkiegrrl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
New York, NY
Queenside is not a creamsicle, to me. It's spiced orange, and very good. There's supposed to be cream in it, maybe it's not steeped enough yet, but I'm not getting the cream.

I found with Dead Mans party, the creme aspect does come through more with steeping. Perhaps I should have let Frankenvape steep a bit too, but it was still good enough to vape right away for me.

Tinkiegrrl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
New York, NY
I have Queenside at the moment in a clearo, waiting for a tank to be empty! It's very good, but I have to concentrate to get any cream, athough it is there.

I hear you on waiting for an empty tank. I clearly don't have enough! I don't want to waste suck good juice in a clearo, but I can't always afford IBTanked. Got the Pyrex Boge f16 v2 carto tank for a cheaper option, and it works so far. Have a couple plastic Boge tanks on the way too, becaus they are cheap. Hoping they don't leak though. I know IBTanked just works, so despite cost I'm afraid to order enough carto tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread