Bad luck with mods!

Status
Not open for further replies.

EagleGreen

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2012
Hammonton NJ
I have been having bad luck with all my mods man and its driving me crazy. I bought my 1st mod 3yrs ago Lavatube v1 and it is the only one that still works and it has a busted spring. MVP v1, Vamo v1 &5 VTR all busted. The Vamo v5 and VTR were bought in Feb and the VTR keeps getting a 888 reading and the Vamo just died.. New batteries and still nothing. So I pull out my EA mech mod that I had stored away since I don't use it any more cause the Kick v1 I used for it also crapped out!! Not the mech mod worked great for a few days but NOW when I fire it up the fire button gets burning hot!! Just bad vaping luck. Anyone know why the EA mod is smoking the batteries? AW IMR and efest there was never an issue but sometimes my EA mech mod nearly melts it gets so hot..

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
I hate to further the impression people seem to have that ProVari fans over-recommend it - but you sound like you kinda should consider one. You prefer variable to a mech - and the 'Vari is SOLID.
And if you DO have some kind of trouble, they fix it, and quickly.
They have "blems" on their clearance page right now for like $150, and another 10% off for about an hour (Memorial Day)...
Seriously though - if it's $150, but vapes GREAT and lasts as long as you want it to...it's a worthwhile investment.

And there's something about the power delivery that provides a noticeably better vape than a VAMO or VTR.
I never had any trouble with my SVD or my VAMO - but they mostly just sit now...

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
So I pull out my EA mech mod that I had stored away since I don't use it any more cause the Kick v1 I used for it also crapped out!! Not the mech mod worked great for a few days but NOW when I fire it up the fire button gets burning hot!!

You have dirty switch contact surfaces causing high resistance in that switch. Take it apart and clean everything with clean cloth and alcohol. Q-tips are good too. I do this to my mech mods about monthly. Don't use it until you have done this and the switch stops heating up. Also do all the screw threads on the rest of the mod and the 510 connection.

One good clean typically will have you vaping immediately.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I agree with the above sentiments. Do not use a mod that gets hot; something is causing a short which could cause major issues with your battery - not something you want to experience.

Since your previous China-made mods are now expensive paperweights, you should consider buying a Provari. It is US made and designed to be just as durable as a mechanical mod. In the rare event that it would require repair, it can be returned to Provape who will fix it for life for a minimal fee.

Why Provari?

Cearamm

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 24, 2013
USA
Toss all that Shyte and get yerself a provari bro. I work in a machine shop and drop mine on concrete at least once per day and it just has a couple scratchs. I hear they use Arc-reactor infused plutonium as the metal...kinda like iron man.
Lol jk...

But for reals...your story is the exact reason i bought my provari and my wife a provari and recommend them above all else except the semovar mod. I had countless ego batts and tanks ad all that crap out within one month. I was wasting so much money so i finally ponied up for a reliable machine that is built to last. My provari will work in 5 years. It may need to be serviced, but it will work.

I apologize if i offended you by putting down your gear. The EA is a nice piece...keep that but buy the Kick 2 module for it.

brickfollett

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 25, 2013
Washington
If you like the mechanical, may I recommend a Reo? I got mine and it changed my vaping experience forever. Imagine dripping, without having to drip. Reoville is pretty good.

The Provari is also another fantastic choice, I loved mine to death and did some very nice genesis builds on it that were extremely satisfying for about 4 months. Then I discovered the Reo and sold all my hardware except my Stingray clone and Atmomixani Dome clone. So all I have now is a Reo, Reomizer, Stingray, dome and two trident drippers, one converted to bottom feeding for the Reo.

You can't screw up a Reo man, and if you do, you can replace the parts yourself for 35 bucks. It's as simple as simple gets

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
If you like the mechanical, may I recommend a Reo? I got mine and it changed my vaping experience forever. Imagine dripping, without having to drip. Reoville is pretty good.

The Provari is also another fantastic choice, I loved mine to death and did some very nice genesis builds on it that were extremely satisfying for about 4 months. Then I discovered the Reo and sold all my hardware except my Stingray clone and Atmomixani Dome clone. So all I have now is a Reo, Reomizer, Stingray, dome and two trident drippers, one converted to bottom feeding for the Reo.

You can't screw up a Reo man, and if you do, you can replace the parts yourself for 35 bucks. It's as simple as simple gets

I shorted one, (kinda on purpose during a test)....spring dropped immediately, battery lost contact and I was 100% safe. I was amazed at how efficently that all worked. :)

And a dream to vape for sure in general. Can run it over with a truck no problems.

brickfollett

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 25, 2013
Washington
I shorted one, (kinda on purpose during a test)....spring dropped immediately, battery lost contact and I was 100% safe. I was amazed at how efficently that all worked. :)

And a dream to vape for sure in general. Can run it over with a truck no problems.

Heck yeah Racehorse. I haven't had that happen yet, but it's nice to know that its single safety feature does its job so well

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Sounds more like bad handling and poor maintenance.
My original Young June Lavatube, as well as original V1 Vamo, and other 20 mods all work just fine. Many go out to work or get banged around while doing yard work.
Wipe them down, keep them clean and don't over tighten toppers and they do last.

Insulting gear is getting comical.
Seems A proponent of Provari once told me My Evics would not last a month - that was 18 months ago and they are just fine. LMAO

Sirius

Star Puppy
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2013
North Carolina
1) Give your mechanical a good cleaning once a month.
2) Use noalox on the threads.
3) Pay attention to battery safety, (some button top types won't work with some mechs ie. the Caravela)
4) Make sure atty is in good contact with pos post.
5) Always lock the fire switch with lock ring when not in use.

These are the five mechanical mod points that get me by. Vape happy and often. :vapor:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread