Status
Not open for further replies.

eratikmind

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2013
Las Vegas/San Francisco
Yw Erat, yes I remember playing twister alot, got a few strains from it too lol. Also was just remembering my Secret Agent Sam gun, can still find pics on the net very kewl toy when I was a kid, launched real good to. I also remember us kids making our own bows and arrows never really killed each other. Then we use to play kick the can, back when they were tin and not aluminum, well my best friend at the time took one in the head boy was he mad at me.

I remember making bows and arrows. That actually stayed with me . . . Eventually, I moved on to long, recurve, and compound bows.

Dave L

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2013
Modesto, CA, USA
My dad told me how one of his more well off friends as kids had a Gilbert U-238 Atomic Energy Lab. Yes it was a kit that had radioactive samples, a Geiger counter, a cloud chamber, etc.

I remember those. Didn't have one, but I made some explosives with my pre-teen chemistry set (wasn't trying to). I dunno, in a way this stuff makes me mad. Common sense requires some supervision when your kids have potentially dangerous things in their hands, like, oh, say, hammers. And since when is it the gummint's job to protect us from being stupid? Isn't that survival of the fittest? Anyone ever read the Darwin Awards?

Just wait til some kid swallows a drip tip or drinks a bottle of juice.

A quote from the Darwin Awards: "Natural selection deems that some individuals serve as a warning to others. Who are we to disagree? The next generation, ever and anon, is descended from the survivors."

Last edited:

eratikmind

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2013
Las Vegas/San Francisco
Oh man, how did we survive? I look back....

I remember being about 7 or 9....something back than....riding my Briggs & Stratton powered mini bike....ahh, I can still feel that clutch jitter and hear it chatter.....and carrying my BB gun.....the cops stopped me in the neighborhood, told me to be careful and not shoot any people...then sent me on my way.

Today? It would have been on the news and my parents would have been arrested.....

PS....I got pretty good shooting while riding.....

The good ole days. My siblings and I would take off and ride our bikes for hours on end. Today, I watch my 5 year old grandson like a hawk. Times have changed, unfortunately.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I used to do backflips off the side of the pool.

My mother wouldn't watch, but she never tried to stop me.
I suspect in today's world, my mother probably would stop me.

And if she did, would that mean she was a different person?
Or was she the same person living in a different world and acting in a different way?

All I know is my mother couldn't even watch me play baseball, because she was afraid I would get hurt.
Baseball for goodness sake!

But she never once thought it was her job to stop me from doing things that could hurt me.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
The good ole days. My siblings and I would take off and ride our bikes for hours on end. Today, I watch my 5 year old grandson like a hawk. Times have changed, unfortunately.
But you're the one that let's him smoke!
;)

EDIT: It's an inside joke
EDIT: Pictures in the Supporting Members subforum

Last edited:

Txrider

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
We had bottle rocket and roman candle wars as teenagers. I still have a scar on my left calf from a roman candle at point blank range. I still had fun!

Yup same here, I got scars all over from childhood. Loved bottle rocket and roman candle wars.. We used to have pellet gun wars as well, with a 1 pump rule, we still got a few subcutaneous bb's now and then.. ;) The penalty for violating the one pump rule was a firing squad.. ;0

Then there was my dad turning me loose on the world with my own shotgun at 12-13 years old, boy you wouldn't see a kid that age toting a 12 guage shotgun down the street in suburbia these days.. It would make CNN headline news.

We would never have even considered wearing kneepads and elbow pads and a helmet riding a bike either. A friend of mine 50yrs old got a ticket from a cop for riding his bike without a helmet fairly recently.

eratikmind

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2013
Las Vegas/San Francisco
I was probably about 10 years old . . . My cousin and myself took a short piece of black steel pipe and partially buried one end into the dirt behind my parent's home. The pipe was buried at an angle, facing a mountain behind the house. As I yelled, " Ready!? " at my cousin, I tossed a M80 with its fuse fizzing away into the open end of the pipe. My cousin immediately dropped a golf ball into the pipe.

Well, in a blink of an eye . . . We heard a muffled BOOM and the golf took off like a bat late for Halloween. We never did that again, as my mother came out to see what we were up to.

Fred Garvin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Anyone remember Bag-O-Glass in that skit that Danny Ackroid did on SNL. Hilarious!!!! And the amazing Bass O Matic....Man, that's great bass!

Irwin Mainway! Seen on Consumer Probe hosted by Joan Face. Another classic Dan Aykroyd character (as my namesake linked in my sig)

This clip has Candace Bergen....Jane Curtin played Joan Face in the originals.

We need an "Irwin Mainway" on the forum hawking obviously dangerous vaping supplies......

flintlock62

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2012
Arkansas Delta
Instead of banning my buckyballs, they should just ban stupid kids!
Hammocks: Slept on one many a time.
Electric blanket: If it weren't for those, I would have frozen as a kid. I could place a glass of water on the headboard in the winter, and next morning it would be frozen.
Slip and Slide: Had loads of fun on one.
Bean bag chairs: Ah yes, the hippie days!
Deep fryer: Still have one.
Lawn Darts: The heck with that, I had a bow and arrows!
Red Rider BB Gun: I didn't shoot my eye out.

Last edited:

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
I was playing baseball in my friends yard when I was a kid...
His father was mowing the lawn and a rock shot out of the lawnmower and hit me in the head.

Ban lawnmowers.

I was playing football in my friends yard when I was a kid...
As I was running backwards while guarding the receiver I ran into a tree with my head.

Ban trees.

EDIT: Wait, now that I think about it, it would make more sense to ban heads.

Lol!
I actually think they are banning trees come to think of it. Seen the rain forest lately? Nobody else has either.

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
Yeh, some bans on toys were because of stupid kids. I mean really stupid kids. I was ...... that my Viper for battle star galactica didn't have launching missiles because of some kid in Oregon who was too stupid to play safely. But all my micronauts from Japan had loads of missiles. Another banned toy was a "make yourself superball". You mixed two bags of ingredients and poured the mixture in a mold. An hour later, a big red superb ounce ball. Apparently some stupid kids just couldnt resist eating the mixture. And when kids got hurt playing with said ball, eventually the banned superbounce balls.

Now I can understand toys that melted a metallic almangam and used metal molds to make monster figures get banned. I've accidentally spilled the molten metal on plastic table, and ate right thru it like alien blood on a ships' hull. They eventually came out with a plastic version but it still heated the stuff to scalding levels. It was still fun. How many kids did the DIY version of melting army men in their sisters' easy bake oven?

My dad told me how one of his more well off friends as kids had a Gilbert U-238 Atomic Energy Lab. Yes it was a kit that had radioactive samples, a Geiger counter, a cloud chamber, etc. it was low level enough unless you ate it. Your old Coleman lantern heating element was more radioactive but still.

Aqua dots turned into GHB when swallowed. Magnetic Bucky balls we like being shot in slooooow motion in your gut.

So basically, it was always stupid kids that just couldn't seem to NOT eat their toys or point them directly at their eyeballs that ruined it all for us.

As a side note, it wasn't banned but what was the deal with wood burning kits? Who got the bright idea that using a soldering iron on balsa wood was art let alone fun for kids?

I never baked my action figures in an easy bake but we did get the excercise bike going real good, then force their faces onto the tire, melting and awesomely disfiguring the faces. Good times. Haha

chaos-7

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2011
St. AUg Fl.
Just thought this would be interesting as well as funny and nostalgic. Found this using google. Brought back a few memories.

10 beloved banned and recalled products - Yahoo!

Hope that link works. I'll add to the list does anyone remember Clackers, they were 2 hard plastic balls about 2" in diameter connected together by a string, man how my wrist hurt a few times when missed. Lol.

I still have a couple of sets.:)

mitzeli

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2012
louisiana
Yw Erat, yes I remember playing twister alot, got a few strains from it too lol. Also was just remembering my Secret Agent Sam gun, can still find pics on the net very kewl toy when I was a kid, launched real good to. I also remember us kids making our own bows and arrows never really killed each other. Then we use to play kick the can, back when they were tin and not aluminum, well my best friend at the time took one in the head boy was he mad at me.

Kick the can, I almost forgot about that game!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread