Status
Not open for further replies.

mberlinger3

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 2, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Hey guys,

I'm trying to find information on these parts that Baps has up on shapeways. I want to know if anyone has tried them and knows they fit. They are in testing on the site. Also, how do I keep the chip secured from falling off if I push the button hard. Lastly, is the polished alumide too weak for a mod? Shapeways says it's not as strong as the other type of plastic.

Steamer861

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2014
Canada
You need to glue the chip to the cover I used epoxy and it's secure even with a hard button push. The cover fits nice. I used the WS&F from shapeways so can't say about the alumide
The baps cover is nice but IMO a hanna enclosure from FT is way better for a DIY mod. There are a few threads on using the FT enclosure here on the site you can get a few ideas on what would work for you there http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/battery-mods/585616-building-hana-style-mod-fasttech-enclosure-looking-tips-tricks-suggestions.html
https://www.fasttech.com/p/1785702
If you add up all the parts needed to build a hammond with a SW cover it can be costly

mberlinger3

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 2, 2014
You need to glue the chip to the cover I used epoxy and it's secure even with a hard button push. The cover fits nice. I used the WS&F from shapeways so can't say about the alumide
The baps cover is nice but IMO a hanna enclosure from FT is way better for a DIY mod. There are a few threads on using the FT enclosure here on the site you can get a few ideas on what would work for you there http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/battery-mods/585616-building-hana-style-mod-fasttech-enclosure-looking-tips-tricks-suggestions.html
https://www.fasttech.com/p/1785702
If you add up all the parts needed to build a hammond with a SW cover it can be costly
Thank you and I know it's going to be pricey (~$150) but that's including the 6400mah battery that's going in there. I vape through an entire vtc5 in 1/2 to 3/4s of a day. So I wanted something with more bang.

Last edited:

Steamer861

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2014
Canada
In your case a hammond 1590g with the baps cover would be a good fit
I mite recommend dual 18650's instead of a big lipo Charging that big lipo takes a long time with dual 18650 you can just swap and go
Thank you and I know it's going to be pricy (~$150) but that's including the 6400mah battery that's going in there. I vape through an entire vtc5 in 1/2 to 3/4s of a day. So I wanted something with more bang.

mberlinger3

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 2, 2014
In your case a hammond 1590g with the baps cover would be a good fit
I mite recommend dual 18650's instead of a big lipo Charging that big lipo takes a long time with dual 18650 you can just swap and go
I'm putting in the 1A charger baps recommend. I don't have any extra 18650s -_- and lipos reduce the amount of soldering I can do wrong because of the bullet connector.

Some extra questions.

did you use the rectangular or rounded screen cut out? And how is the wsf in terms of strength? I keep sitting on my evic and breaking it. I just did it for the fourth time. -_-

Last edited:

moresalt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2013
Tucson,Az
Be careful of the connector on the 1A charger. I had 2 that the connector came off with the plug when I removed it. It has been recommended to put just a spot of gel Superglue on the sides of the connector to hold it in place. I don't seem to have that problem with the 500ma charger, although 2 LG 18650's take close to 7 hours to charge.

I don't have one of these covers but I do have what is now called a "bap" (originally called a Tibs) in black strong flexible. It is pretty sturdy, but I wouldn't want to sit on it. i have heard of a couple of people that built mods out of alumide, and I haven't heard anything negative about it. Oh, and the screen on my tibs is rounded and I like that more than the rectangular. That would be a personal preference much like what flavor juice you like.

mberlinger3

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 2, 2014
Be careful of the connector on the 1A charger. I had 2 that the connector came off with the plug when I removed it. It has been recommended to put just a spot of gel Superglue on the sides of the connector to hold it in place. I don't seem to have that problem with the 500ma charger, although 2 LG 18650's take close to 7 hours to charge.

I don't have one of these covers but I do have what is now called a "bap" (originally called a Tibs) in black strong flexible. It is pretty sturdy, but I wouldn't want to sit on it. i have heard of a couple of people that built mods out of alumide, and I haven't heard anything negative about it. Oh, and the screen on my tibs is rounded and I like that more than the rectangular. That would be a personal preference much like what flavor juice you like.

Thanks for the tips. =) with a 1A charger it should take about 4-5 hours to charge my lipos if my estimation is close. I think I'll stick with black unless someone comes back to rave about the aluminide (id get the polished variant). But the sitting fear is real haha

For you guys that use Hammonds, I've heard they boxes have a slight slant. How noticeable is this slant and should I get the unpainted box (instead of black) so I can sand it down?

moresalt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2013
Tucson,Az
It depends...how much do you drink? My hammond box tilt was quite noticable, probably 3-5 degrees of tilt. Similar to the face of a putter (think golf). I torn it down because I was tired of the large size not because of the tilt though. I ordered a couple of enclosures from Fasttech since they look smaller. Yea, they only have space for a single battery. Not sure if I will regret that though.

mberlinger3

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 2, 2014
It depends...how much do you drink? My hammond box tilt was quite noticable, probably 3-5 degrees of tilt. Similar to the face of a putter (think golf). I torn it down because I was tired of the large size not because of the tilt though. I ordered a couple of enclosures from Fasttech since they look smaller. Yea, they only have space for a single battery. Not sure if I will regret that though.
Got any pictures before you tore it down with an atty attached? I guess I could always take a chance and try and counter bore the black version but sanding the top and bottom and plasti dipping it maybe easier.

mberlinger3

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 2, 2014
Not from the side. This is the only pic that I took

That's really nice. Is that a 1590b or 1590g? I don't know if its just the perspective but it doesn't look tilted that much at all. Does anyone know if these enclosures would plastidip well. I have a tub I was going to use for my other project that failed epically. I may sand the edges down and try to coat it if its not that much trouble. I have an old belt sander in my workshop.

rhelton

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2014
spokane, wa
This my 3D that is about 4ml shorter than a kayfun and its pretty noticeable. I will sand the next one down, as far as overall size goes it is a little bit larger than a hana style box but not by much. They fit in your hand nicely and there is plenty of room for a dual sled or a big lipo.

Attachments

• unnamed (6).jpg
    unnamed (6).jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 47

mberlinger3

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 2, 2014
This my 3D that is about 4ml shorter than a kayfun and its pretty noticeable. I will sand the next one down, as far as overall size goes it is a little bit larger than a hana style box but not by much. They fit in your hand nicely and there is plenty of room for a dual sled or a big lipo.

Do you have any more pictures? =]

rhelton

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2014
spokane, wa
Here are some with a kayfun for some more reference as you can see the lean is pretty noticeable. I dont think it would take much to square the box up, but then you will need to paint or polish it.

Attachments

• unnamed (4).jpg
    unnamed (4).jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 26
  • unnamed (5).jpg
    unnamed (5).jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 25
  • unnamed (6).jpg
    unnamed (6).jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 26

moresalt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2013
Tucson,Az
That's really nice. Is that a 1590b or 1590g? I don't know if its just the perspective but it doesn't look tilted that much at all. Does anyone know if these enclosures would plastidip well. I have a tub I was going to use for my other project that failed epically. I may sand the edges down and try to coat it if its not that much trouble. I have an old belt sander in my workshop.
I'm pretty sure its a 1590G. Thanks, maybe I'll put it together again. If I do I'll sand it down to try to make it more level. Originally this was the cobat blue, but somehow it didn't look that good so I painted it black. Maybe I'll try a 1590B next. I think that is a little smaller.

mberlinger3

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 2, 2014
I'm pretty sure its a 1590G. Thanks, maybe I'll put it together again. If I do I'll sand it down to try to make it more level. Originally this was the cobat blue, but somehow it didn't look that good so I painted it black. Maybe I'll try a 1590B next. I think that is a little smaller.

The g is actually smaller than the b. The b is really large actually.

mberlinger3

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 2, 2014
I have the Alumide printed for the GDNA and I notice no difference from the WSF.
Glad to head it! I just ordered it in aluminide with black buttons. If I may ask a general question about the cover how much extra space is between the chip and the surface of the box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread