Bases & Crafting 'Thicker' Juice

Status
Not open for further replies.

echofinder

ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2012
Damascus, MD
www.reddit.com
A couple of my recipes require high quantities of alcohol-based flavoring. Though I can breathe them & such to remove any lingering alcohol scent/flavor, the final juice is still water-thin, and since I favor carto-tanks this is often a problem. I am already mixing 100VG.

Are there any alternative bases I can use, or additives I can add, to thicken these juices some? VG is as high as it can go but still doesn't have the muscle.

I realize that this is perhaps an odd problem, and it is certainly a new area of thought for me... any advice would be greatly appreciated.

unloaded

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2011
SW. Indiana
Interesting problem, curious to see if you come up with any solutions. The only thing I can think of is to try to evaporate the alcohol before you mix. It'll throw off your recipes and might not mix with your VG though. What brand of flavors and what percentages are you using?

You might do some research on Gastro-Chemistry they are doing some crazy stuff with foods, some of the thickening agents might be usable.

Have you tried condensing your VG? Not much water in it so probably won't work, but it would be cheap and easy to try.

LucentShadow

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2011
Michigan, USA
My thoughts are to evaporate the alcohol before mixing as well. Maybe putting it in a glass jar and heating it just enough to rapidly evaporate the alcohol, then pour in some VG and heat that a bit and shake the crap out of it to help dissolve the residual flavoring, the finish mixing after it cools a bit.

I don't know if much of the flavoring would be lost to that process. Also, if completely drying it is too much, maybe adding a bit of vg before heating it would help keep it suspended in a liquid.

I've been curious about trying something like that with an alcohol flavoring that I have, but have not gotten around to experimenting with it.

echofinder

ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2012
Damascus, MD
www.reddit.com
I am using Nature's Flavors (butterscotch to be specific) and mixing it at 40%.

I can go up to 23% and have the juice flow normally. But the recipe is perfect and needs 40%.

I have not used heat, but have experimented with air - I have breathed flavoring for 3 days before mixing, and the final juice for 2-3 days after mixing. I like to do this after mixing the juice now, because I am unsure how breathing affects the raw flavoring & in juice my hypothesis is that alcohol will evaporate before anything else and the flavor will all stay in the VG. That is a guess though, I am no scientist.

I am actually out of raw butterscotch at the moment, but have some other NF flavors laying around - tomorrow I will try heating a couple batches and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread