Basic battery help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
It is unwise to over discharge any cell.
Most mech user find the vape quality drops off significantly when the voltage reaches 3.4v - 3.2v.

No one can comment on if you're pushing your cells to or past their amp limit without knowing which cells you're using and the resistance being used.
Exceeding any cells CDR is a bad idea. Can at least shorten life up to cause a catastrophic failure.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
The discharge cycle for 18650s goes not from 4.2 to 0v but from 4.2 to something around 3v. Most cells are damaged if discharged below 2.5v, and with mechs you usually get an unacceptable dip in vape quality below 3.5v or so.

Sent from my Thor E using Tapatalk

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
It's acceptable to vape down to 2.8v on an typical 18650, but you wouldn't like the vapor production any lower than 3.4v. Vapor output will tell you when the battery needs charging. Current draw from the battery decreases as voltage drops.

Battery warmth would be a good monitor for whether you are stressing your batteries too much. A mech is a straight forward calculation using ohms law since there's no electronic component to buffer battery draw. Calculate your power level at the 4.2v max voltage level of the battery for safety.

Power in watts = Voltage*Amperage.
Current in amperage = Voltage/Resistance

If you are vaping a .5 ohm coil at the nominal 3.7v level with a single cell ohms law would calculate that you are vaping at 7.4 amps/ 27.4 watts. That's well within the safety factor for most single 18650 mechs. As you vape down to the recharge point the wattage and amperage will drop with voltage. Lower resistance will increase wattage and amperage.

Check it out here. Plug in some numbers and see what happens.
Ohms Law Calculator

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: stols001

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
I feel this is a matter of safety. I'm pretty new to mechanical mods and just figured out how to calculate using my ohms law..then wondered if I'm pushing my battery to its amp limit; if the amps in the battery decrease with the voltage....or is not letting your batts' drop below 3.2 or 3.4 volts just for life span?
Please help
I have provided a little more information which might help working with batteries.
Might like to read:
18650 Battery Buying Guide for Vapor Users – Wake and Vape Blog
Index | E-Cigarette Forum
Battery Safety: Will You Marry Me? - Mt Baker Vapor
http://ecigarettereviewed.com/e-cig-charging-safety
Vaping 101: Battery Safety
7 Best Practices to Keep Your Charge

Reactions: DaveP
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread