basic questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renro

ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
New England
Hi all,

I'm pretty lost. Is there a glossary of terms in the forum? I am looking for a simple cost effective way to vape. I just started this January with the Smoketip starter kit. I'm very happy with the company and with the product - it's the only one I've tried.

I'm intimidated by the mere thought of e-juice and atomizers. I don't know the language or the numbers or anything about anything.

What I like about the smoketip is the free shipping and the life time warranty on the batteries. Also the fast delivery and the honest to goodness quality customer service. If I make any kind of switch, I'd like to keep these features.

I use their standard two-piece unit with prefilled 16 mg cartridges that equal about a pack/cartridge (my personal experience) - the company claims to be a a bit more @ 1.25 pack/cartridge.

The cartridges cost $17.99 for a 10-pack when you buy 3 or more at the same time ($17.00/carton equivalent for me) I bought 6 (10-packs) this first month and think I might need at least one more 10-pack to get me through the month comfortably.

So that is a huge savings for me. I am satisfied with the flavors, the cost and the vapor. It's been pretty consistent over these past three weeks.

But reading here, I get the feeling that I am missing out. Is there anyone here who started with Smoketip and moved on to something else, and if so why?

Are the flavors (subjective, I know) any different when you fill your own? Is the cost any less? The vapor any better?

I'm a natural born klutz and have genuine concerns about handling and storing e-juice. I am also thinking of transporting/ carrying everything I need - the three piece units sound like a lot of things, a lot of little things, that I would lose for sure.

I unexpectedly quit smoking when I started using the Smoketip so my main concern right now is just making certain that I will always have enough of what I need so that I don't go back to regular cigarettes (why are they called analogues here?)

I've looked at so many sites but the more I look, the more confused I get. What I want the most out of my vaper is a long lasting battery, a good price and nothing so fancy that I have to rent a van to take it with me. I could get used to any flavor, it's the nicotine that I am addicted to and need, yet I found out that I was getting too much out of the 16mg prefills to the point of allergic reactions - which doesn't make sense to me since I smoked regular strength Camels or Marlboro's before I switched.

So...is there a cheaper way to go and still get the benefits that I enjoy with my Smoketip? I have nothing to compare the ease of draw or vapor volume to, but would not want to lose either of those features. Oh, and I purchased a USB passthrough so I can vape at the computer, which I love, and they just came out with a new 360 longer battery (I haven't tried yet) so it would be important to find something that is compatible with these.

Is this too many questions at once? I seem to end up here at the end of the day, so I am not at my sharpest and babble on a bit. But any info/direction/advice/links would be helpful and much appreciated, especially from someone who's tried a lot of different products.

Thank you

Renro

ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
New England
Thanks e36smallz,
$45.00 would be a fraction of what i am paying right now. How does one start? There seems to be a natural progression? Anyone care to share their experiences of where you started, what worked, what didn't and where you ended up? It would be a tremendous help to me. Just so you know, i AM reading a lot at this site, but too much of it is still Greek to me.

Shining

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Houston
This is a good section to start and there are lots of short videos that show you how to do all those things. I was totally new to this just a week ago. I spent a week reading here and watching videos (some on youtube also). By the time I ordered my Riva 510 and some juices I had it pretty much all figured out. Upon seeing the products, it suddenly all made sense!
I'm sure someone here is familiar with what you already have and will comment as to what's compatible with the one you already have.
Good Luck and enjoy!!

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ecf-library/

btw, you should be able to find compatible carts for what you have and purchase them empty, the get juices to fill them yourself. It is cheaper, but it also gives you a huge variety that you won't get with prefilled carts.

Last edited:

trouble2k

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2010
Billings, MT
Hi Renro and welcome to ECF. I started with the SmokeTip. I didn't stay with it for several reasons, but the main one is that I needed more battery life. Now I use an eGo. I drip with an atomizer at home and use cartomizers when I'm out.

You can easily find interchangeable parts and accessories for SmokeTip at several vendors since it is a kr808d-1. The cartridge that it uses is called a cartomizer (that is an atomizer and cartridge in one piece). One supplier who specializes in this model is Vapor4Life. They have a large assortment of flavors. But, unless you start refilling w/ liquid, you will not see a significant savings. That may sound intimidating right now, but once you've learned how to do it, it's easy.

I would suggest checking http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/new-members-forum/120044-i-made-videos-newbies-particular-broke-newbies.html. She has a portion in the series where she goes through how to refill cartomizers.

I won't make suggestions for upgrading at this point because the KR8 is a good unit, you seem content with it, and SmokeTip does now have the 350mah battery that is a decent size battery if you need more power later. Once you've watched the videos or, if you do decide to move toward a different model or have any other questions, just chime on in. We all love answering questions:)

Good luck and happy vaping.

notdurrr

Dec 15, 2009
England
From doing a little bit of research it seems smoketip uses a "cartomizer". You may already know this means it that the cartidge and atomizer come as a single item. Most of us use seperate systems, which makes it a lot cheaper to use.

First off, I would say as far as ecigs go then the 901, the 510 or an Intellicig. All three of these have stood for some time, built up a decent fan base and have seen improvments over the years. Virtually any question you can think of could be asked of those models and someone would know the answer on here.

A few words about handling nic juice and price...
There really is no need to buy nic juice that is rated at really high mg. Sure it can be cheaper but the savings between a 52mg juice and a 24mg juice might not be that great once you work out the "per day" cost.

Are you still smoking with 16mg at all? Or hs it cured your desire to light up a real ciggy?

If 16mg is working then I would suggest getting some 18mg juice in various flavours, so when it comes to juice then for now just choose 4 or 5 flavours that you like the look of. Get some plain old VG, in fact to start off you might like to get your VG from one of the ecig retailers. There is usually a fair sized mark up for it, but it lasts for ages and is usually the correct thickness when you get it from an ecig retailer and lets face it, we are trying to keep things simple. Also get a spare dropper bottle, 5ml will do for now as it will come in handy if we ever start "dripping" instead of using carts, but that is way in the future yet.

Try them at their full 18mg strength at first, find out your favourite... Selection process is now done :)

Next, lets save some money by first turning the 18mg liquid into something closer to 16mg.

9 drops of 18mg and 1 drop of VG = 10 drops of 16.2mg. So put 9 drops of the 18mg and 1 drop of the 0mg VG into the spare dropper.

Congrats. You have just made half a ml of 16.2mg liquid.

Try it out, see if you like it. If so then use it for a week.

The week after you can make a very small batch up of an 8:2 ratio, giving you 14.4ml. If you are ok with it then make some more.
and a 7:3 ratio the week after that would give you 12.6mg.

Once you hve settled on a flvour and strength you like, and are happy with, then consider buying some 24mg juice, some flavours and take it from there.

Last edited:

Marverel

Oct 31, 2010
Berlin, Germany
Hi there

I am satisfied with the flavors, the cost and the vapor. It's been pretty consistent over these past three weeks.

But reading here, I get the feeling that I am missing out.

You asked for advice, so here it comes :D : If you found something you really like, stick to it. Consider yourself lucky that you found it on first try. I think you don't really miss out something important.

Most people change because they don't like the battery life, got wick problems, don't get sufficient vapor or throat hit from their actual system. Or they are just gadget geeks (like me, for example), who want to try out the newest and shiniest stuff :p

I have a few battery mods that I like, but in the end I mostly use the most convenient system - for me that's an eGo battery (that I bought 4 months ago) with a cartomizer.

I don't know anything about the Smoketip System, but if it's in fact a KR808 device, you could easily buy some inexpensive empty cartomizers (filling and refilling is easy) and try some lower nicotine juices, if you feel the need to do that.

Happy vaping,
Martin

VapNfool

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Texas
Hiya Renro! Welcome to ECF. Well...you asked for it! So, here we go!!

You may certainly want to stay with what you have but here is some info on other options that you may want to look into.

You really have two basic choices from where you sit. Stay with a "slim line" ecig like the one you have or move to a big battery solution. Let's look at these two options

SLIM LINE - Right now, I use a VaporKing from V4L http://store.vapor4life.com/and I am VERY happy with it. This unit uses what is known as a KR808D-1 battery. You will find this same battery marketed by different vendors on the web but the VaporKing is the one from VaporForLife. You can get various starter kits from V4L or just piece together the items you want to build your own kit. They have an assortment of battery colors and the "jewel" and "camo-stealth" batteries too. They also have a ton of flavors to choose from. You can get these in an automatic or manual battery styles. With an auto battery, you just put it to your mouth and pull like you would an analog (cigarette). With a manual battery, you do the same but they have a little button that you hold down as you pull. This button activates the battery to fire the atomizer in the cartomizer. The autos are no-hassle and convenient. The manuals give a bit better vapor and may last a bit longer. Anyhooo, here's the kit I bought that comes with everything:

VK-1000-PCC-1.jpg

V4L IS PROUD TO PRESENT:
THE ULTIMATE ULTIMATUM VAPOR KING KIT WITH PORTABLE CHARGING CASE
2 Automatic Batteries
1 USB Passthrough
1 Portable Charging Case
1 Carrying Case-Your choice of Color
1 VK USB Charger
1 VK Wall Charger
1 VK Car Adapter
1 BOX OF 5 VK CARTOMIZERS- Choose one Flavor/Strength

There are other starter kits as well for less money depending on what you want to begin with. Anyway, I highly recommend the VaporKing. One great thing about the KR808 is that is is a 2-piece unit...the battery and the cartomizer. NOTE: A cartomizer is simply an atomizer that is built-in to a cartridge (the part that holds the liquid). A 2-piece unit like the VaporKing is very easy and convenient to use obviously becasue there are only two pieces. You screw a cartomizer on and you're vaping! Another advantage is that you can simply screw one flavored carto on, vape it awhile, then take it off and screw another flavor on. These cartos are also disposable when they run dry but you can also refill them if you want to keep using them and save money (which I recommend). Just get some e-juice and refill them yourself. This is the way to go because it is MUCH cheaper to clean and refill your cartomizers. I even buy blanks and fill them up myself. Don't worry, there are plenty of YouTube videos out there that show you step-by-step how to clean and refill a carto. For example, here are two of them:

YouTube - Care and Feeding of Cartomizers Part 1

YouTube - Care And Feeding of Cartomizers Part 2

It's really very easy to do so don't worry about it. After you do it even one time, you'll get the hang of it.

The other popular model is any of the 510 stuff. These are basically the same as the 808 but the threads on the battery are different. There is one more major difference though...the 510s typically are 3-piece units (battery, atomizer, and cartridge). These do not have the atomizer buitl-in to the cartridge so they have one more piece than the 808s and you have to buy new atomizers and cartridegs separately. These are very good units too though and LOTS of people use them are are very pleased. It's a matter of preference. From what you posted though, it sounds like the 808 will be more suitable to your needs. In any case the Joye 510 or the Volcano Magma are good choices if you want a 510 unit. Here's the Joye 510 from Joye 510, Joye eGo, Electronic Cigarettes, Personal Vaporizer, E-Liquid Smoke Juice in a basic starter kit format:

file_26_1.jpg

The Joye 510 Starter Kit comes complete with the following:

(1) Instruction Manual
(2) JOYE 510 Atomizers
(2) Batteries
(1) Joye 510 Standard Charger
(5) Free Prefilled Cartridges (Type/Color dependent on availability)

And here's the Volcano Magma Deluxe Starter Kit:

magma_1.jpg

The Deluxe kit includes:
(1) Gift Box
(2) M-Batteries
(1) M-Pack
(1) Atomizer
(1) Wall Charger
(1) USB Charger
(25) Cartridges in the strength and flavor of your choosing!

Now, about the big battery solutions. There are quite a few of these out there but basically, the most popular ones use either the 808 cartomizers or the 510 atomizer/cartridge setups but with much larger batteries. In truth, the 808s are more limited in the big battery arena and the go-to model if you want to use the 808 cartomizers is the PigCig from LeCig:

PigCig3.1.jpg

•(2) 650ma/H Batteries ( Black, Chrome or Gold finish* )
•(5) Pack of Mega Cartomizers 2.3 ohm (Available in Reds 16mg, Tobacco 16mg, Menthol 16mg and Blanks)
•(1) Cone
•(1) USB Rapid Charger
•(1) Wall Charger
•Instructions
•Gift Box
•Works with regular LeCig D1 and Vapriot Cartomizers as well! (Vapriot needs D1 to D2 Adaptors)

There are several 510 big battery versions such as the:

Volcano Inferno - Volcano Fine Electronic Cigarette...home of the best eCig
images

EGo - Joye 510, Joye eGo, Electronic Cigarettes, Personal Vaporizer, E-Liquid Smoke Juice
images

T-Rex - Buy E-Cigarette Kits, E-Liquid & Accessories online | Kingpincigs
e-cigarette-ego-starter-kit.jpg

Riva - VaporJunction.com
TheRiva.png

Leo - VaporJunction.com
New-Products-The-Boge-LEO-Electronic-Cigarette-73-0.jpg

Any of these units are quality items that will provide you with extended battery use. They are good choices if you want to carry one unit around with you and not have to carry other batteries or charge the batteries as often. These units do not look like a cigarette either so be aware of this as well.

As far as e-juice and nicotine levels go...you can buy cartomizers, cartridges, and bottles of juice in a variety of nicotine levels from many vendors. So, if you feel 16mg might be too much, try something around 12 or even 8. You can test these and find what's right for you. So, there you have some info that may be useful to you. Again, from what you have posted, I would recommend the VaporKing. I use it and it has performed very well for me. I have no complaints and the V4L customer servicce has been stellar for me. They even send me freebie stuff cartomizers, battery, etc.) each time I order something from them. I am going to get a big battery PV (personal vaporizer) too so that I have the best of both worlds but that is not a neccessity. I just want another option. You may not. It's up to you.

Hopefully, this will help you find what you're looking for in an e-cig. Also, I absolutely recommend that you read DonDaBoomVape's 6 part series on e-cigs here on ECF. It's a MUST read for anyone looking into the move to an e-cig. Very well-written and extremely informative. I recommend it heartily!

The ECF Library

Good luck to you and keep asking questions here on ECF. There are a TON of people are very willing annd able to help you!! VAPE ON AND ENJOY!!

Last edited:

texasgranny

ECF Veteran
Dec 8, 2010
Texas
Renro
I would highly suggest that you spend some more time learning by reading here and watching YouTube videos.
Although many can suggest alternatives, you have to decide whether your gonna devote
the time and effort into any changes that may elevate your vaping experience or whether you want to stay where you are at.
Many of us have spent 30-40-60-80 or more hours, just reading and learning. There is alot to
vaping and not as simple as just buying the next PV unit or as simple as walking into the 7-11 and
buying your favorite cig.
This is a life changing experience. I so hope that you succeed and become a vaping fool!
It's alot of fun as well and this community of vapers is behind you every step of the way.

VapNFool
What a review and a reply. Lot of work there and very nice.

Last edited:

Renro

ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
New England
Hi Trouble2K, thanks for the welcome and the info. After reading through a lot of the library stuff and the video links supplied, something "clicked" and I think I am starting to get it. I haven't used the 350 mah yet but I certainly will be stocking up on a few of those. One thing I have decided is that I do want to try mixing my own juice, the variety of flavors are a plus but mainly I want to be able to titrate the nicotine content and I have to admit, the flavors are appealing.

The next step for me is learning about cartridges and compatibility. I feel I really lucked out with the Smoketip as a first time user and would like to give them my business. Is the next step learning to mix? Is it better to start with 0 nic and experiment with the flavors and then adjust for the nic? What's been your experience?

Thank you again for your welcome and support.

Renro

ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
New England
Hi notdurr,

Thanks for responding to my cry for help.Thanks for the direction with the brands. I've decided to stay with Smoketip and find compatible cartridges and stuff to go with it. I am happy with the one i have and I love the company.

The information that you supplied about the nicotine concentrations was very helpful and lessens my concerns about handling it. I've been able to watch a few videos on mixing and noticed that most people set up a little "lab bench". Do you know if it's better to purchase the bottles, droppers ect from an e-store supplier or go with a local pharmacy? One of my goals is to figure out a way to store the raw and mixed nicotine in a pet-friendly/ child-proof something. Any suggestions?

I am not smoking real cigarettes since 1/11/11. It was completely unexpected, painless, and surprising. I received my starter kit as a Christmas Present -they came with two batteries and 6 prefilled cartridges. I had 4 packs of analogs on hand. Sometime around New Year's I noticed that I still had two packs left! This was nothing short of a miracle. I am a die-hard addict. I was in no way mentally preparing to quit even then. I ordered more cartridges which arrived on 1/7/11 and smoked my last analog on 1/10/11. It wasn't until then that I made a conscious choice to stop smoking the analogs. I threw out what I had left and have been Vaping ever since. There have been just a few times that I thought about trying an analog, but that smoking addiction mind game of "i can have just one, just one puff, as a reward..." wasn't there for the first time ever. I thought about it, thought about having to go to the store, having to purchase a pack and having to start all over again if I wanted to quit. Turns out that i did want to quit. It hasn't been without a few moments of weakness, but nothing like any of the other times that I quit. Vaping should be Dr. ordered, swear to God this is the best thing that ever happened to me in regards to smoking. Thanks for asking BTW.

I was surprised that a heavy, full flavored smoker like myself was getting bad reactions to the Vaping at first. Really bad reactions. My Dr thought it might be a reaction to the nicotine, so I went down to 12mg. Within two days, all the symptoms that were not related to nicotine withdrawal (according to the Dr.) disappeared. He also suggested that I stay away from the Menthol for a few months which is not a problem for me.

You have been so helpful. Thank you.

Renro

ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
New England
VapNfool!!!
Thank you so very much for the links, photos, info and the welcome! I'm already eyeballing the Leo's :).

I've been able to make a few decisions after getting so much help and info here. I don't want to go back to analogs, so I will need multiple batteries, cartridges ect on hand. It's a mind thing with me but without plenty of backup, I stress out and when I stress, i think of analogs.

I'm going to stick with the Smoketip but I am going to expand and try mixing my own so that I have better control over the nicotine concentration. i also like the idea that i know exactly what is going into my vapor, and I like the savings.

I also decided to look into a non analog looking device, also a mental thing. Since I've decided to quit smoking, I don't want to look like I am, hence the Leo.

i did read through some of the library - Thank you, it's amazing. And I have read DonDaBoomVape's 6 part series on e-cigs (a few times actually, there's so much info there) And i agree, it's a MUST READ for nubes. It's what got me past the hump.

I have to research more about vapor. My smoketip delivers nearly identical analog vapor, which is plenty for me. I could EASILY get deep into Vaping, but to be honest, I am trying to avoid that. An addict is an addict is an addict and I don't want to be exchanging one for another - let me clarify, I in no way believe that those who Vape big or become master mixers or Mode designers are addicted to Vaping (versus the addiction to nicotine) I just know myself and know that i could go crazy with gadgets and innovations and whatnot, and just don't want to go down that road. :) Hey, that's one more decision that I've made - thanks!

Renro

ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
New England
Hi texasgranny,

I couldn't agree more. This is a whole new culture, language and tool set to discover and learn. Thankfully, this forum has a wealth of information and members who are willing to share their experiences and help me navigate. I've already been able to make a few choices and to clarify what I want from Vaping. Not only that, there is a community here, I used to love that aspect of smoking - that community braving the scrutiny of scowling mothers, snow, hail, wind and public opinion. For the first time in a LONG time, I don't feel like a social pariah. Thank you all for that, the mental health benefit to me is immeasurable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread