Batteries---concerning memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

JB Goode

ECF Veteran
Oct 15, 2010
Bronx, NY
Hi
Usually, the companies that sell rechargeable batteries ( size double AA and AAA) which are used in cameras say that before recharging these batteries, a person should make sure that the battery is completely empty because if not done that way, the battery eventually develops a "false memory' which means that when the battery signals that the battery is fully charged, it really isn't. There may be approx be about 10 to 20 % that hasn't really charged. I know about this cause it's happened to me. I'd like to find out if the E Cig batteries work on the same principle as those other batteries. Can they be charged when the E Cig battery is low but not fully empty or eventually will they too also develop a false memory.
Thanks very much for any knowledge about this.

Last edited:

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
That's outdated information that used to apply to Nicad batteries, doesn't apply to much more current NiMh batteries, and is totally non applicable to Li-On chemistry batteries used in e-cigs. The last thing you ever do to a Li-On battery is drain it completely. There is no memory effect with Li-On batteries and recharging them no matter what partial charge state remains in the battery has no bearing on it's longevity or run times.

Last edited:

VamoV5

Feb 15, 2014
Netherlands
What you are referring to with "false memory" is actuality called "memory effect". This means that when a nicad or in a less serious way also nimh battery is being recharged when it's not fully drained, the chemicals in the battery will actually crystallize and thus decreasing surface area and therefore hold less charge. Nicad and nimh batteries don't contain a circuit that can monitor the charge level, only lithium batteries have this. It's actually good for lithium batteries to charge them when they are not fully discharged. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread