Batteries: EM Fields/Close Proximity Storage???

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonkeyMonk

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2009
When, temporarily, storing the e-cig batteries, can keeping them in close proximity to each other (e.g. bundling with a rubber band) cause the batteries to go bad?

I ask this question because I had 4 batteries, fully charged, and prepared for use... I got Trog's screwdriver and began using that, Thus, about a week went by before coming back to these 4 fully charged batteries which I had bundled with a rubber band. Now, 2 are inoperable.

Would the bundling or placing of fully charged batteries in close proximity to each other cause an Electro-Magnetic field so strong that it would/could permanently screw up the batteries?

Cellmeister

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2009
Beantown, USA
When, temporarily, storing the e-cig batteries, can keeping them in close proximity to each other (e.g. bundling with a rubber band) cause the batteries to go bad?

I ask this question because I had 4 batteries, fully charged, and prepared for use... I got Trog's screwdriver and began using that, Thus, about a week went by before coming back to these 4 fully charged batteries which I had bundled with a rubber band. Now, 2 are inoperable.

Would the bundling or placing of fully charged batteries in close proximity to each other cause an Electro-Magnetic field so strong that it would/could permanently screw up the batteries?

NO

(isn't this the reason u bought the screwdriver?)

Keep Vapin!

500KV

ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2009
Chattanooga

Short answer--NO.
Batteries cannot produce EMF's, the're DC voltage.
It takes AC to produce EMF's.
One thing I did notice; storing batteries in plastic bags will sometimes cause them to activate when moved around.
This would be caused by static voltage similar to walking across a carpet, etc.
Don't really know what caused the problem with your 2 batteries though.

MonkeyMonk

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2009
Cellmeister, thank you for answering. I was worried that I had done something wrong by rubberbanding them. I am most grateful for your answering because from reading other posts, I can be confident in your answer. Thanks!

By any chance, Cellmeister, do you know:

1. How to determine the charge level that a battery is at. Per articles that I've read, Lithium-ion batteries should be at 40% charge if storing them.

2. Would a volt/ohm meter detect a bad atomizer that was shorting out batteries. (I had a different situation that prompts this question)

MonkeyMonk

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2009
Short answer--NO.
Batteries cannot produce EMF's, the're DC voltage.
It takes AC to produce EMF's.
One thing I did notice; storing batteries in plastic bags will sometimes cause them to activate when moved around.
This would be caused by static voltage similar to walking across a carpet, etc.
Don't really know what caused the problem with your 2 batteries though.

Thank you! I had a situation when I was jumping my neighbor's car and an e-cigar in a plastic bag went "supernova" in my pocket. I thought it was from being between the cars moving the jumper cables, but perhaps it was due to the plastic bag. Thanks ever so much!

Cellmeister

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2009
Beantown, USA
Cellmeister, thank you for answering. I was worried that I had done something wrong by rubberbanding them. I am most grateful for your answering because from reading other posts, I can be confident in your answer. Thanks!

By any chance, Cellmeister, do you know:

1. How to determine the charge level that a battery is at. Per articles that I've read, Lithium-ion batteries should be at 40% charge if storing them.

2. Would a volt/ohm meter detect a bad atomizer that was shorting out batteries. (I had a different situation that prompts this question)

Hi MM.

1) I would not be to concerned with the storage, as these are cheap batteries anyways, storage for real batteries would be apply. But the easiest way is the multi-meter and sucking on the battery to make it go off at the same time (I know LOL) to check voltage or easier is just charge them up, clean them, put in a plastic baggie & store in cool place, don't worry about voltage, its going to drop anyways..

2) Yes Ohms if There is a direct short. Normal cold Atoms I find between 1.7 to 3.2 range (I have a lot of atoms). But Sometimes it may not be detected, when the atomizer is powered it is heated and the resistance changes (the short can be at a certain temp). The best way is to always label each one of your batts & each atomizer (many ways too) and then see whats what, usually the best way (only if you have more then 1 of each).

Just My Personal Opinion. Hope That helps :D

Keep Vapin!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread