Batteries in Pocket....

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpinDr480

ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Ok this is kind of scary, and hopefully I finally learned my lesson. I just was curious if anyone knows the reason this happens.

Anyway, I carry extra 18350 batteries in my pocket when I go out to make sure I have enough battery life. One day, I put them in my pocket started feeling my let burning and reached in and one of my spare batteries was scorching hot. It actually ruined the battery since it wouldn't ever charge again.

Since I had two spare batteries in my pocket I thought it had something to do with the two touching and creating some electrical charge. However, yesterday the same thing happened with only one battery in my pocket. It just started getting really hot and I took it out of pocket and could hardly hold it. I did have a spare key in that pocket.

Anyway, I was wondering if the battery is getting hot by touching other pieces of metal in my pocket or is it from static electricity? Also, these are AW IMR batteries, so they aren't the cheapo kind.

Thanks

gthompson

Free at last
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2011
Tennessee, USA
If your battery is on your pocket and not in one of these you deserve what you get.

thumbnail.asp

BigBen2k

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2013
MA, USA
Always respect the batteries.
You were lucky there. Think about what part of your body was close to the battery and what kind of damage could have been done by a hot venting lithium battery!
Plus the possible embarrassment of frantic stripping, and/or walking around shirtless, or worse, pantless...

It's just more convenient to carry the cell in a plastic box, than a change of clothes. :D

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio

WarHawk-AVG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
H-Town
Ok this is kind of scary, and hopefully I finally learned my lesson. I just was curious if anyone knows the reason this happens.

Anyway, I carry extra 18350 batteries in my pocket when I go out to make sure I have enough battery life. One day, I put them in my pocket started feeling my let burning and reached in and one of my spare batteries was scorching hot. It actually ruined the battery since it wouldn't ever charge again.

Since I had two spare batteries in my pocket I thought it had something to do with the two touching and creating some electrical charge. However, yesterday the same thing happened with only one battery in my pocket. It just started getting really hot and I took it out of pocket and could hardly hold it. I did have a spare key in that pocket.

Anyway, I was wondering if the battery is getting hot by touching other pieces of metal in my pocket or is it from static electricity? Also, these are AW IMR batteries, so they aren't the cheapo kind.

Thanks
$1.49 2*18650 Battery Waterproof Protective Storage Case - translucent / PVC at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Any time you have a chance of damaging a battery (I believe Li Ion are actually under pressure too) it's a safe bet to keep them in some sort of case

and yes...the battery and other stuff in your pocket could short and create a circuit..I have read 3x threads here on this forum of "venting in my pocket" type posts....put in em in protective case!!

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/safety_concerns_with_li_ion

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread