Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

grob1963

Sep 8, 2013
North Carolina
Hoping some of the vets can give advice on batteries, I have a Vamo V3 and a INNOKIN iTaste SVD Telescoping on the way, I have read lots of conflicting info on the batteries some say better to use just one 18350 while others say to stack the 18350's for better performance and others say never stack the batteries so what the opinion of the vets here? I will use the 18650 battery as well but my question is on the single or stacked 18350

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Stacking batteries is unsafe. Or, I should say it's not the safest use of them in high drain devices like APV's. The Vamo has redundant circuitry in it to prevent short circuits and it monitors temperature in the device. If battery problems occur, the device shuts itself off.

However, that circuitry is not the world's finest, most expensive or most reliable.

What can happen is that you stack two batteries with different charge states and different actual capacities. The one with the greater charge remaining can attempt to charge the other, which can cause either to go into thermal runaway. One going thermal means both batteries go thermal and a potential catastrophe can occur inside that sealed metal tube.

The two grey 800mAh 18350 batteries that come in some Vamo kits are risky for use in standalone mode and should never be stacked. Those are unprotected ICR cells and have an unsafe chemistry. While the Vamo has the circuitry to prevent most incidents from getting out of hand, you are again back to trusting cheap electronics to prevent personal injury or property damage due to a fire or an explosion.

You should get high quality batteries. AW IMR's are the best available in 18350 configuration. Efest also makes decent 18350's. Those are the ones you want, but I wouldn't stack those, either.

Last edited:

Traver

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2010
WV
What can happen is that you stack two batteries with different charge states and different actual capacities. The one with the greater charge remaining can attempt to charge the other, which can cause either to go into thermal runaway. One going thermal means both batteries go thermal and a potential catastrophe can occur inside that sealed metal tube.
Even if the battery doesn't go thermal in the pv it can be damaged to the point where charging can cause a thermal runaway.

Take a new pair of batteries and always use that pair together. Check the charge on both of them every time you take them off the charger, check them every time you put them on a charger to be sure they are discharging at the same rate. If they aren't discharging at the same rate then something is happening with the chemistry of one or both batteries and you need a new pair. Do all of this and it it may be reasonably safe but still not as safe as a single battery.

Seems like an awful lot of effort to me.

Last edited:

WarHawk-AVG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
H-Town

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I'd honestly recommend not stacking batteries. If you do stack batteries, make sure you have a kick properly installed. I wouldn't ever stack batteries in a fully regulated mod.

Just to be clear, you wouldn't put a Kick in a regulated mod, only a mechanical mod.

The Vamo or iTaste SVD very well might accept stacking two smaller batteries instead of one larger battery, but for what gain? It will not give any longer battery time, only more voltage. And you can't take advantage of more voltage in a regulated mod unless it was specifically and inherently designed to use stacked batteries.

It's always preferred to use one larger battery over two smaller ones.

Last edited:

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy
I don't have a Vamo but do have a SVD. I have AW 350s and Panasonic NCR18650PDs.

The SVD eats the AW 350s for a snack. The electronics in it must soak up their energy because it drains it fast. The flip side about 1.5 hours to charge.

I really like my Panasonics. Again I thought they would last longer, but they last a sufficient amount of time. Around a 5 hour charge depending on how low I let them get.

I haven't tried to stack... It seems too much of a hassle to keep track of the batteries if you are going to do it correctly. In a regulated VW/VV type mod I don't see the difference in 10 watts with a single battery or 10 watts with a stacked setup (The SVD shows it as 3.2V to 4.5V single and 4.6V to 9V stacked). I barely go above 8 watts usually 7.5 watts.

Going to add.. Every one is going to tell what they like or what you should get (If you were them). What you like vs what another likes can be completely different. In everything from liquid to form factor to quality to metal and delivery device. I am of the mind when I smoked I flipped the .... on the ground and squished it with my shoe or twist flipped the ash on the ground and tossed it in the trash.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread