Battery came with Resistance tester

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockford

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2018
BC Canada
I purchased this tester that came with the AWT battery before I was reading up on Mooch's tests and unfortunately I now have it.

I know it's a re-wrap and have seen Mooch's (Do Not buy) and definitely respect his analysis reports. My question is would it be okay to use strictly in the resistance tester?

Thank you

6708501-3.jpg

Last edited:

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
Probably if just using the resistance reading portion. But might not be a good idea to use it to fire the coil. Using it to fire coil would be no difference than using it in a mod.

The reader has a protection circuit in it so might just not fire if not enough power. Good batteries are inexpensive so best overall not use a questionable battery

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
I purchased this tester that came with the AWT battery before I was reading up on Mooch's tests and unfortunately I now have it.

I know it's a re-wrap and have seen Mooch's (Do Not Buy) and definitely respect his analysis reports. My question is would it be okay to use strictly in the resistance tester?

Thank you

View attachment 782937

Testing the resistance only requires enough power to power up the circuit within the tester. My tester runs off a 2 AA batteries just to give you an idea of the amount of power needed. Typical multimeters are pretty much the same. That battery should be adequate for resistance testing only. As @Beamslider pointed out, I would not use it to fire a coil.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
My question is would it be okay to use strictly in the resistance tester?
Probably if just using the resistance reading portion. But might not be a good idea to use it to fire the coil. Using it to fire coil would be no difference than using it in a mod.
I agree with Beamslider and Punk in Drublic, it would be ok to use to only test for coil resistance, but I wouldn't test fire a coil under load with that battery. As he said, using it to fire the coil would be no different than using it in a mod. I'm assuming that you purchased that particular ohm reader so that you could test fire a coil under load, so if that is the case I would NOT use the AWT.

These AWT are terribly over-rated batteries and I wouldn't accept one even if it was free. I don't know where you purchased the ohm reader, but I would send them a FYI note that if they are going to include a battery with it they should send a decent battery and not an over-rated re-wrap if they don't wish to be in a lawsuit should a battery explode. My :2c:

Last edited:

Rockford

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2018
BC Canada
Well now that you guys scared the crap out of me, I went to my local shop and got a couple Samsung 30Q's, but heres a little story for ya.
I asked the girl at the desk for 2 30Q's so when I took them out of the box they were pink with a silver sticker across them that said 18650 30Q but no other markings. I said these aren't original, I'd like original pls. She went went to another drawer and took two more out that have all the Samsung markings etc and those are originals, that will be 29.59 pls.

So Yes I'm happy I got them, No they are not cheap like in the USA, but yes it's worth it.

Thanks all and cheers

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    Well now that you guys scared the crap out of me, I went to my local shop and got a couple Samsung 30Q's, but heres a little story for ya.
    I asked the girl at the desk for 2 30Q's so when I took them out of the box they were pink with a silver sticker across them that said 18650 30Q but no other markings. I said these aren't original, I'd like original pls. She went went to another drawer and took two more out that have all the Samsung markings etc and those are originals, that will be 29.59 pls.

So Yes I'm happy I got them, No they are not cheap like in the USA, but yes it's worth it.

Thanks all and cheers
    The Samsung markings were probably under the required sticker for shipping.
    Some are silver, sometimes white.
    Glad you upgraded from the AWT, but 29.59....WOW!

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    I asked the girl at the desk for 2 30Q's so when I took them out of the box they were pink with a silver sticker across them that said 18650 30Q but no other markings. I said these aren't original, I'd like original pls. She went went to another drawer and took two more out that have all the Samsung markings...
    Samsung30QBattery.png

Was the sticker like above? Most batteries are shipped with the above stickers for identification purposes. Under the sticker was likely the Samsung identifiers (below).

1099632276_w640_h640_30q.jpg

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    Glad you upgraded from the AWT, but 29.59....WOW!

Equals $13 CAN per cell (~$9 US) – average price in Canada. They can be found cheaper in the States, but once you factor in exchange, shipping and the risk of losing them at the boarder, $13 is actually not a bad price.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    • Agree
    Reactions: Rockford

Rockford

ECF Veteran
    Nov 21, 2018
    BC Canada
    Samsung30QBattery.png

Was the sticker like above? Most batteries are shipped with the above stickers for identification purposes. Under the sticker was likely the Samsung identifiers (below).

1099632276_w640_h640_30q.jpg

Yep, that was them, I prob ended up with used now..lol but good to know for next time :)

Also that was the cheapest in town, the rest of the shops wanted 18 to 20 apiece before taxes, so that was a good deal.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Baditude

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    Again, shipping makes it ridiculously expensive. I priced a pair of Sony’s out of the UK once, $30 for shipping alone. Unless buying in bulk, it is not worth it. And there is still the risk of them being denied by customs.

My Jac Vapour DNA 75 was returned to England by customs because there was an 18650 in the package. JV shipped me another and deleted the battery. Then, it went right through with no problems. Go figure. Once it reached the U.S. it went ground ship from there anyway (as far as I know).

Reactions: Rockford
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread