Status
Not open for further replies.

NoFumus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2015
St. Paul, Minnesota
I just caused a short in a mech mod. I had checked the resistance of the atty before putting it on, but I should have known better than to use the AGA-T5 with a mech. Sometimes the bottom plate with the 510 connection gets loose and it goes up through the build deck, when that happens...

Anyway, I noticed immediately that it was getting warm, so I removed the battery as I walked to the front door, where I set it on the front steps in the MN cold. I'm a little nervous to go out there, but I don't want to blow up the mailman either.

I got the battery out within about 30 seconds of attempting to fire it. Will the battery cool off or, do I need to shove it into the bushes before the mailman gets here?

NoFumus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2015
St. Paul, Minnesota
Haha, don't want to anger the Mailman who brings those vape goodies.... We gotcha:)

I almost said that in jest, but then I considered the possibility...

When I got a mech mod, my teenage daughter volunteered that, should I blow myself up, she would hide my vape gear before the ambulance arrived, just to keep me out of the press and the forums. I don't think she could cover for me blowing up the mail carrier.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
I am glad you were not hurt and caught it so quickly. Once the battery cools down, if it hasn't blown, it won't. Heat is what kills them; they don't blow up when cold. Yes, as you say, do recycle it and don't use it. And either fix that atty, or dump it. A resistance of .04 is actually less than the resistance they use for dead short testing. If it wants to do that to you, it's trying to kill you. Off with its head :)

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Toss the battery, it's not worth the mental aggravation of worrying about it's safety every time you go to use it.

If that mechanical has a hybrid top cap ... toss it too. (or put it away until you have toppers that were specifically made to be used on it)

BTW, my mechanicals all have 2 ohm coils on them. ;)

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 26, 2013
    God's Country
    Toss the battery, it's not worth the mental aggravation of worrying about it's safety every time you go to use it.

If that mechanical has a hybrid top cap ... toss it too. (or put it away until you have toppers that were specifically made to be used on it)

"Hybrid look" top cap.
    ( or direct-to-battery)
    Let's not call those hybrids as they are not.
    Hybrids don't have 510 threads.

NoFumus

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 27, 2015
    St. Paul, Minnesota

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 26, 2013
    God's Country
    Well, 0.9 ohm, 2.0 ohm, doesn't matter when it shorts. They all go to 0 or just about when they short :?:

I wouldn't toss the atty. I would use it on a regulated mod and maybe add a heatsink so you don't have to unscrew/screw it back on as often. Unscrew/screw back on the heat sink instead. And at least keep it for spare parts for your other one.

We did discuss our concerns with that atty wondering if that base might do this. Its too bad as its a darn nice atty otherwise for the price, and has really good flavor.

Wth?

If it jumped from .9 to .04 ( near dead short) there's a serious problem.

Please do not advise vapers to use a damaged atomizer on a regulated mod.

That's incredibly unsafe.

If you can fix it, that's one thing.
    If you can't fix it do not use it.

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 19, 2014
    Ohio
    I hope mine is behaving for the person I gave it to. Last I knew she was very happy with it. She was new to RTAs and I first had her try a Prometey. She was successful building it, but not being able to see her juice drove her crazy. Then she bought a Lemo2, but was having some newby wicking issues, so I sent her the t5, which was very easy for her to get going with, without leaks.

NoFumus

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 27, 2015
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    0.9 isnt all that low; if you could be satisfied with a 1.3 ohm build then you can get along fine with a mech regulated by a common kick module and get the durability of a mech plus the standard short circuit protection of a regulated.

oo00oo
    lookie! they're down to 5 bucks now!
    $5.82 Authentic Sigelei Variable Wattage Kick Module for Mechanical Mod - 5-15W at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Yep, that's exactly what's been in my cart for while now, waiting for my next purchase.

dimo

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 8, 2011
    Chicago
    Had that happen to me on a AGA-T2 back when I used mechs and genesis style atomizers. Once the damage was done it was too easy for that center pin to slide up and down easily. I didn't didn't want to worry about another potential short so I just tossed it. The battery I discharged and tossed out as well.

Thankfully regulated mods can offer up safely all the power I'll ever need to vape. I no longer use any of my mechs, they sitting in a drawer collecting dust.

NoFumus

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 27, 2015
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Had that happen to me on a AGA-T2 back when I used mechs and genesis style atomizers. Once the damage was done it was too easy for that center pin to slide up and down easily. I didn't didn't want to worry about another potential short so I just tossed it. The battery I discharged and tossed out as well.

I had another T5 that I retired for that reason. I replaced it because it's a nice flavor atty (as Roxy said). I thought, being aware of it's potential for doing that, I could avoid it happening to the second one by taking a bit more care when I removed it from the mod. I guess not.

YoursTruli

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 27, 2012
    Ohio
    So glad you caught it fast! :)
    I admit to tossing my AGA-T for this very reason, yes the original AGA-T, this has been an issue from the start and obviously has not gotten any better with subsequent versions over the years :(
    Although nothing happened to me with mine too many others were experiencing this issue for my comfort level to keep using it or pass it along to anyone.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread