Status
Not open for further replies.

NoFumus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2015
St. Paul, Minnesota
I just caused a short in a mech mod. I had checked the resistance of the atty before putting it on, but I should have known better than to use the AGA-T5 with a mech. Sometimes the bottom plate with the 510 connection gets loose and it goes up through the build deck, when that happens...

Anyway, I noticed immediately that it was getting warm, so I removed the battery as I walked to the front door, where I set it on the front steps in the MN cold. I'm a little nervous to go out there, but I don't want to blow up the mailman either.

I got the battery out within about 30 seconds of attempting to fire it. Will the battery cool off or, do I need to shove it into the bushes before the mailman gets here?

NoFumus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2015
St. Paul, Minnesota
After it cools down test the battery.
If there's any issues, toss it.
Batteries are cheap enough.

Thanks. I'm not worried about the battery, as I have no problem tossing one. I just wasn't certain whether I'd started a reaction that would continue or if it just needed to cool down. Once I got it outside, I was mostly worried about the mailman or other passersby.

Luckily (I guess) I noticed it right away. A metal object in a 68 degree room should feel cool, not body temperature. As soon as I got it out the door, it had me shaking for a minute there.

I'm sorry this happened to you. I always used my t5 on a mech.

Thanks. This is my second T5, and this is the first time I've had the problem with the bottom plate unscrewing on this one. Still, I had made a mental note that, for me, they were best left for regulated.

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
I would play it safe with that one and run it regulated from now on. I do have some attys I won't use on mechs. My first Lemo has a goofy 510 and it recesses when I screw it onto a mod. The eXpromizer has a spring for the 510 connection that allows the whole pin to move up and down. My new HIGO has a recessed pin though I'm going to make it a new insulator.

Reactions: NoFumus

NoFumus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2015
St. Paul, Minnesota
I would play it safe with that one and run it regulated from now on. I do have some attys I won't use on mechs. My first Lemo has a goofy 510 and it recesses when I screw it onto a mod. The eXpromizer has a spring for the 510 connection that allows the whole pin to move up and down. My new HIGO has a recessed pin though I'm going to make it a new insulator.

I agree re: keeping it on regulated. When I checked the T5 the second time, it's reading 0.04 ohm.

NoFumus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2015
St. Paul, Minnesota
Haha, don't want to anger the Mailman who brings those vape goodies.... We gotcha:)

I almost said that in jest, but then I considered the possibility...

When I got a mech mod, my teenage daughter volunteered that, should I blow myself up, she would hide my vape gear before the ambulance arrived, just to keep me out of the press and the forums. I don't think she could cover for me blowing up the mail carrier.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Toss the battery, it's not worth the mental aggravation of worrying about it's safety every time you go to use it.

If that mechanical has a hybrid top cap ... toss it too. (or put it away until you have toppers that were specifically made to be used on it)

BTW, my mechanicals all have 2 ohm coils on them. ;)

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 26, 2013
    God's Country
    Toss the battery, it's not worth the mental aggravation of worrying about it's safety every time you go to use it.

If that mechanical has a hybrid top cap ... toss it too. (or put it away until you have toppers that were specifically made to be used on it)

"Hybrid look" top cap.
    ( or direct-to-battery)
    Let's not call those hybrids as they are not.
    Hybrids don't have 510 threads.

NoFumus

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 27, 2015
    St. Paul, Minnesota

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 22, 2014
    Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
    I am glad you were not hurt and caught it so quickly. Once the battery cools down, if it hasn't blown, it won't. Heat is what kills them; they don't blow up when cold. Yes, as you say, do recycle it and don't use it. And either fix that atty, or dump it. A resistance of .04 is actually less than the resistance they use for dead short testing. If it wants to do that to you, it's trying to kill you. Off with its head :)

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Well, 0.9 ohm, 2.0 ohm, doesn't matter when it shorts. They all go to 0 or just about when they short :?:

I wouldn't toss the atty. I would use it on a regulated mod and maybe add a heatsink so you don't have to unscrew/screw it back on as often. Unscrew/screw back on the heat sink instead. And at least keep it for spare parts for your other one.

We did discuss our concerns with that atty wondering if that base might do this. Its too bad as its a darn nice atty otherwise for the price, and has really good flavor.

Reactions: Enta
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread