Battery Explosion

Status
Not open for further replies.

hallucinoJEN

ECF Veteran
Apr 26, 2012
Richmond, VA USA
Hey Foxman, sorry this post is so late, but I'm glad you weren't badly injured. When I first started using an ecig, I read everything in the library of this forum. The batt safety section made me paranoid (one reason why I will NEVER stack batts no matter what people tell me). Your story was a great reminder to not be complacent when it comes to our vape gear. I've been using eGo Twist batts when I go out, and always turn it off before putting it in my pocket, but even though I know they aren't like my 18650's in my LT, I still will not put anything else in the pocket I put my Twist in (like my cell phone or loose change). I keep my spare Twist batts in an Apollo ecig case (along with a bottle of nicquid and a spare Vision eGo clearo) I got when I won their VTube on ecigadvanced.

Keep on vaping! :vapor:

Jen

Also wanted to tell any noobs to NOT wrench their carto/clearo/atty down into the batt connection. Tightening them down too much can break the positive connection and create a short. As well as connecting adapters to mods properly. Steeljan has a couple of vids on her channel talking about batt safety.

Last edited:

Rocketman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
SouthEastern Louisiana
To the OP of this thread.

Can you now tell the difference between a 'protected Li-ion cell' and an 'unprotected' Li-ion cell?

4 types of Li-ion 3.7 volt 18650s are available,
unprotected Li-ion, IMR, Li-ion Hybrid,
and protected Li-ion.

There are advantages/disadvantages for each type.

At least know how to tell if a cell needs protection, and if it has protection.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
I would imagine so, but its a different scenario! When a twist is off , it's off.

Not true!

I had a non-twist, ego clone with the 5-click protection.........one that wouldn't turn off this weekend. It was an older one that 'lit up" when on, at the bottom.

I had to put it outside in a closed tin. I clicked and clicked, it would not turn off. It was lit up like a christmas tree, neon, out in the dark in the yard. I didn't want to go to sleep with it in the house.

pressure switch stuck, I even tapped it on the bottom against a rock, and then against the top, and it still wouldn't go off. I'll have to look at it later this week but it's probably going into the trash!

You can bet I didn't keep anything attached to it when I put it outside.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread