Battery explosion makes local man very curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made a bottom feeding box mod out of a broken ovale v8 (bad 510 connector). I'll get some pics of it in the modding forums when its finished. It vapes great, took it out last night for a test drive, the top battery seemed loose, but I pushed it back in, lots of times, and planed on making piece to hold the battery better. This morning it blew up, I noticed a bright light from within the mod, it started spewing smoke, I pulled em out. The blowed up one was very hot and the gray wrapper was destroyed at a top corner. I closely inspected the mod and found that the positive connector in the explosion zone was bent sharply into the battery compartment, thats what was making my top battery loose, and all night I was pressing the side of my battery against it. I dont know a lot about ecectricity and batteriezz, but my hope and theory is that I pressed the side of the battery against the corner of the positive connector until it broke the side insulation on the battery and exploded it. What do you guys think? I fixed the pos connector problem, and my blue battery fits as it shold in an almost factory battery compartment. I just hope its not something more mysterious, I like this mod and am using it right now, but I cant leave the batteries in un attended until I figure this out.
p.s. the batteries are about a month old and they are a matched set.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I dont know a lot about ecectricity and batteriezz, but my hope and theory is that I pressed the side of the battery against the corner of the positive connector until it broke the side insulation on the battery and exploded it.

I agree with zapped on this one. The problem is that you are asking very basic questions that anyone who makes mods needs to know the answers to to be safe. Even answering your questions is really tough because with your low level of battery and electricity knowledge, every little detail would need to be spelled out to try to ensure you don't miss anything dangerous and that is really tough to do.

Some rules of thumb I use in my modding endeavors: Do not use a mod which you are not sure of. Don't use batteries damaged in any way, even if the damage seems cosmetic only. Never assume something is OK because it has not bit you yet - that can change fast. Don't experiment with mod safety issues you are not completely sure you understand every aspect of, as if it goes bad you could lose teeth, flesh and gain a lot of pain.

There is a lot of great info on modding, bats and electricity on ECF and on the web in general. Reading and asking questions to get a good understanding of what it all means is a really good idea IMO. Might not happen overnight, but hey, that's not the end of the world. Best of luck with it. Above all, stay safe :thumb:

I didnt really change much, functionally from the ovale, the connector was bad so I ordered a pre made bottom feeder 510 with leads from bogger box mods and connected it to the tiny, tiny, wires from the board with some modified .... connectors. Thats all the electrical work I did, all I wanted to do for this box. Come on, I didn't mean to sound like an idiot. Buy pre made mods, the ovale broke 15 minuets after I got it, I cant just throw it out and get a provari, Im broke, thats how this mod got made. I think its the same, electronically, just different physically, its a v8 with a bottom feed 510 and a 10 ml bottle. Dont tell me not to mod

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
I didnt really change much, functionally from the ovale, the connector was bad so I ordered a pre made bottom feeder 510 with leads from bogger box mods and connected it to the tiny, tiny, wires from the board with some modified .... connectors. Thats all the electrical work I did, all I wanted to do for this box. Come on, I didn't mean to sound like an idiot. Buy pre made mods, the ovale broke 15 minuets after I got it, I cant just throw it out and get a provari, Im broke, thats how this mod got made. I think its the same, electronically, just different physically, its a v8 with a bottom feed 510 and a 10 ml bottle. Dont tell me not to mod
Please don't get your knickers in a twist. You asked a Q and were provided with solid advice, what you do with it is entirely up to you. In your opening post you didn't understand what happened and until you know, no you shouldn't be modding. To do so, smoking would be a safer alternative for you...

fixed the battery connector and it works great, the positive connector cut thru the side insulation and connected the top of the battery to the side, fizz. I have been working on cars, motorcycles etc.. for years and building these things is fun and rewarding, and even better, all the parts fit right on my desk. I can't trow in the towel because of one measly set back. This thing has been rock solid since sunday afternoon, bottom fed vv with a vapage hybrid atomizer, it vapes so good, it would be hard to put it down and go back to my vivinova tanks and my working ovale v8.

RoseB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2012
Washington
fixed the battery connector and it works great, the positive connector cut thru the side insulation and connected the top of the battery to the side, fizz. I have been working on cars, motorcycles etc.. for years and building these things is fun and rewarding, and even better, all the parts fit right on my desk. I can't trow in the towel because of one measly set back. This thing has been rock solid since sunday afternoon, bottom fed vv with a vapage hybrid atomizer, it vapes so good, it would be hard to put it down and go back to my vivinova tanks and my working ovale v8.

Hello, you're pretty new here. That is the why for all of the advice on caution :) It's nerve racking when stuff like this happens. I am glad you're okay. Building stuff is fun, and since you like building stuff I can understand the desire to mod. Please keep in mind though that when things go wrong it can hurt us all. The media likes to take anything and run with it. The FDA is already on our backs. So please, if you have a desire to mod get familiar with as much as possible first.

I get that, I am new to posting, and we don't need any bad press. But I research the ever living heck out of this stuff before I try anything. I promise, seriously I researched the high powered flashlight forums and considered looking at rc stuff about these batteries . Im working on an outer cover, it should be done by sunday, i hope, then Ill get some pics and specs and put it in the mod forum... your gonna like it, i just know it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread