Status
Not open for further replies.

drunkenbatman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2014
It's windy, USA

I refuse to encourage this. ;) You're *this* close to an intervention being staged.

[edited] Now this is three threads I have come across with blatant lack of knowledge and safety. YOU CANT USE batteries WITH A DAMAGED WRAP, I mean you can but YOU SHOULDNT.

1. If you stick around, and I hope you do, you'll see a lot more. :/

2. I entirely get your frustration, and you really do have to impress the importance of a healthy respect for a battery, but also realize in many cases their ignorance is entirely understandable (in some it isn't).

The largest batteries mot people deal with are alkalin Ds in a flashlight, or the lithium battery in their phone. They see something cool on a website or youtube or their B&M, and their B&M is often all too happy to sell them a mech mod with a prebuilt coil and send them on their way. Unless they happen upon a forum like this, have a friend, or are very proactive, if it's sold they assume it isn't going to blow up or burn their house down. It just isn't widely dispersed knowledge.

ian-field

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2013
Hertfordshire
After a dead short, no one on here will tell you to go ahead and use them. Though, some of us would still use them if the tested okay and the damaged wrapper was replaced.

It all depends - the only dead short I've had was while I was holding the battery, it didn't take long to notice something wrong and unscrew the clearomiser in a hurry.

The cell was fit to continue service, but the total capacity had taken a hit, so it got replaced sooner than later.

Any sign of anything melted and I'd have assumed the seal at the positive end was unsafe and scrapped the cell immediately.

Zod

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2010
Salt Lake
Misfires or pocket fires do not warrant a tossed battery but ANY short lasting long enough to heat a battery significantly and it's gone. $8 is a small insurance policy for 1: safety and 2: protecting a more valuable mod.

You have no way to insure the internals of the cell were not compromised. The manufacturer would not sell it if they knew it was shorted for even a split second as these cells can throw serious amperage FAST. Because it didn't vent on you does not mean it's not 90% of the way towards a vent.

Those of us that have seen a battery vent either as an experiment or accident are going to be zealous about battery safety as more and more vapers are graduating from cigg-alikes and egos to mechs, RDAs, and high drain batteries. I'm all for people's freedom to tinker with these things as hobbies like I do but I fear for the community's reputation when there's such a keen eye just WAITING for a catastrophe they can put on a poster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread