Battery Help Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hans Wermhat

Vaping Master
Jun 9, 2015
Texas
While the chip is supposed to protect you, I still use the rules for a mech when using a regulated mod. Somewhere in the 75 - 85W range, I switch over to a 30A battery. Sony VTC4's are the best mix of CDR and mAh. I would recommend them if you are going to run that high of wattage. And you still don't want to build below .25 ohms. That will MAX OUT the batteries at that wattage, leaving no safety margin.

Matty316

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2014
Hull, England
Guys remember in a Regulated mod coil resistance doesn't determine amp draw on the batteries. It's determined by wattage used, battery voltage and mod efficiency.

wattage used divided by battery voltage (remember in a dual series mod battery voltage is doubled) = amp draw at 100% efficiency. Regulated mods are not 100% efficient most claim to be around 90 to 95% efficient so adding 10% to your amp draw will cover that.

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
Guys remember in a Regulated mod coil resistance doesn't determine amp draw on the batteries. It's determined by wattage used, battery voltage and mod efficiency.

wattage used divided by battery voltage (remember in a dual series mod battery voltage is doubled) = amp draw at 100% efficiency. Regulated mods are not 100% efficient most claim to be around 90 to 95% efficient so adding 10% to your amp draw will cover that.
Yep this.
And the efficiency of the converter circuit will vary depending on the wattage being used. Ususllay most efficient at the higher wattages and least efficient at the lower wattages. But different methods are used so the efficiency curve will vary between mods.

Reactions: Mooch

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
Yep, I = P ÷ V. Series mod so V is double a single battery. Most use a low cutoff of 3.2v per battery, or 6.4v then for two batteries in series. I expect the mod will have to cut you off sooner than 3.2v though at that power.

If you look at trying to run batteries down to 3.5v each before switching them out:

I = 200 ÷ 7 = 28.6A

You definitely need 30A batteries like Sony vtc4s, and the mod will cut you off before the 3.5v drainage. Given a 90% efficiency I would expect to be changing my batteries in the 3.6-3.7v range.

Reactions: Mooch

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    At 200W you absolutely need 30A batteries unless you're taking draws with a good long rest between them. The VTC4 can be used if you're not chain vaping at max wattage though. Otherwise I recommend the HB4 or HB6.

If you're under 150W the number of batteries you can use increases a lot.

Liskrig

ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2015
    MA, USA
    Just because you can, doesn't mean you should :) I've never even seen the 100w+ readout on my 3 month-old Sigeli 150w TC. What are you building that you would need 200w for? I've never been above 70w daily, and only above 90w once to stress test a build...

If we are talking about theory here, then the VTC4 would be a good option (confirm authentic ie. not eBay or Amazon) but the safest would be as Mr. Mooch said; LG HB4 or LG HB6.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Did Sony quit making the VTC4 or was that the VTC5 or am I confused?
    Well I am obviously confused....

We don't know for sure but it seems that production never stopped, just slowed, and availability to distributors that sold to vape-related companies was very limited.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread