Status
Not open for further replies.

MsComptrtchr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2013
Tucson, it's a dry heat
I just joined the ProVarinati after being married to 3 Evics since late spring. I got a V2 in the classies with an extension cap. Here's the problem . . .

I have 4 batteries - 2 brand new EFest IMR18650 2000 mah with button tops and 2 used 18490 AWs. The AWs seem to work fine, though not very long when I am chain vaping (maybe 2 hours of straight vaping). When I check the battery fully-charged, they read 4.1 volts. The Efests only seem to work for about 20 minutes until I get the rapid red flash of death. A fully-charged Efest reads at 3.8 volts (which is under the 4.2-4.2 recommended), but these same Efest batteries work FINE on my Evics - they last for hours on end.

So, I read the FAQs on ProVape and pulled the spring on the extension cap out a bit, no go. Could my extension cap be defective??

Did I get the wrong 18650 batteries? I need a longer lasting battery and thought these would do it. I'm apprehensive to buy new batteries until I determine exactly what is the problem.

If there IS something wrong with the ProVari, will ProVape fix it if its 2nd hand?

So frustrated . . . thanks in advance for your advice!

Ozwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
Montana
Queue up Baditude :)

I wouldn't use the Efest's personally, only authentic AW's. Your cap isn't defective if the unit will fire, but the threads could be dirty which could pose a problem. I would buy some brand new authentic AW's, make sure I was using a good charger (such as a Pila) & the problem should go away. The AW's you have now sound like they could be old, especially if you got them used.

MsComptrtchr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2013
Tucson, it's a dry heat
I use a Nitecore Intellicharger I2. You are correct, the AWs are old, I got them as a temporary thing until I could figure out what 18650s to use. But THEY work, unlike the EFests.

Queue up Baditude :)

I wouldn't use the Efest's personally, only authentic AW's. Your cap isn't defective if the unit will fire, but the threads could be dirty which could pose a problem. I would buy some brand new authentic AW's, make sure I was using a good charger (such as a Pila) & the problem should go away. The AW's you have now sound like they could be old, especially if you got them used.

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
Provape only recommends the use of AW batteries in their devices, some people have had good luck with the Eftest batteries in a Provari, others, not so much! It's a crap shoot at best!
It doesn't sound like either of them are fully charging, fully charged should be 4.2v. My suggestion would be to go to RTDvapor and order some new AW batteries for it, then you will know if it's the battery or not. If it is a problem Provape will gladly fix it, even if it's second hand, for a minimal fee.

serenity21899

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Antioch IL
Clean the connections with some isopropyl alcohol and a long qtip? I bought a mini off the classies and had a similar issue. My batteries were working fine in my other ProVaris. A good clean fixed the problem for me.

Regardless, it won't hurt anything if that is not the issue.

ETA: The only mod I have had efests work well for me is my VTR. I use AWs in my ProVaris.

Last edited:

MsComptrtchr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2013
Tucson, it's a dry heat
Alright . . . I (wo)manned up and ordered some AWs from RTD. Hopefully that solves the problem. I don't think my charger is the problem, all my batteries work great on my Evics. I do have a back-up Tenergy charger, if needed.

If it is a problem Provape will gladly fix it, even if it's second hand, for a minimal fee.
That's good to know - what is "minimal" in terms of fee?

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
Alright . . . I (wo)manned up and ordered some AWs from RTD. Hopefully that solves the problem. I don't think my charger is the problem, all my batteries work great on my Evics. I do have a back-up Tenergy charger, if needed.

I think the most expensive was $20? to replace the whole board.
I also agree on cleaning the battery posts, but I don't think that's the issue in this case.

LX1X

ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2013
Fee State

Terms and Conditions

Standard Service Repair Costs

Replace Window and screws- $10.00
Replace Circuit Board - $65.00
Upgrade to V2 - $20.00
Replace plastic pushbutton - $5.00
Repairs to the circuit board - $25.00
Cleaning - $20.00
Replace top cap - $15.00
Broken Cartomizer Service - $10.00
Return shipping within the USA - $5.00
Return shipping International ~$46.00

serenity21899

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Antioch IL
From ProVape's Terms and Conditions page:

Standard Service Repair Costs

Replace Window and screws- $10.00
Replace Circuit Board - $65.00
Upgrade to V2 - $20.00
Replace plastic pushbutton - $5.00
Repairs to the circuit board - $25.00
Cleaning - $20.00
Replace top cap - $15.00
Broken Cartomizer Service - $10.00

Return shipping within the USA - $5.00
Return shipping International ~$46.00

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I hate to sound like I Slamming eFest Batteries, because I'm not.

But why is it that I have read Dozens of Post where Weird things are Happening with eFest Batteries but never seem to see the Same Weird things with AW IMR's?

I dunno.

Anyway, a Battery that Will Not charge up to Full Voltage doesn't sound Right. But I'm not a Battery Expert so I'll let someone who is Tackle this one.

BTW - Are you measuring the Voltage with a Meter? Or are you using your Mod to see the Voltage?

BlueSnake

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2012
Columbia, SC
I just joined the ProVarinati after being married to 3 Evics since late spring. I got a V2 in the classies with an extension cap. Here's the problem . . .

I have 4 batteries - 2 brand new EFest IMR18650 2000 mah with button tops and 2 used 18490 AWs. The AWs seem to work fine, though not very long when I am chain vaping (maybe 2 hours of straight vaping). When I check the battery fully-charged, they read 4.1 volts. The Efests only seem to work for about 20 minutes until I get the rapid red flash of death. A fully-charged Efest reads at 3.8 volts (which is under the 4.2-4.2 recommended), but these same Efest batteries work FINE on my Evics - they last for hours on end.

So, I read the FAQs on ProsVape and pulled the spring on the extension cap out a bit, no go. Could my extension cap be defective??

Did I get the wrong 18650 batteries? I need a longer lasting battery and thought these would do it. I'm apprehensive to buy new batteries until I determine exactly what is the problem.

If there IS something wrong with the ProVari, will ProVape fix it if its 2nd hand?

So frustrated . . . thanks in advance for your advice!

If the Efests are only reading 3.8 fully charged then there is definitely something wrong with the batteries. Anytime they won't fully charge then something's wrong.

Ozwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
Montana
I would definitely leave the eFest's to the other mods & use only the AW's in the Provari. As I mentioned before, make sure the threads are clean as well. As an extra step you can treat them with an anti-O2 product - I believe Noalox is recommended. Those will tend to gunk up before the actual battery post/spring, but are still a part of the electrical system. I have a good feeling that the new batteries will make a huge difference though.

Ozwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
Montana
if you can get a hold of a multimeter.. try reading the voltage from multimeter vs provari.. to pinpoint which is correct..

but what ozwald said also. clean the screw on the extension and contacts also.

Very true. The Provari's tend to be rather accurate, but double checking against something else is never a bad idea.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
A fully charged 3.7 volt battery will read 4.1 - 4.2 volts.

Normally, the Provari's LED button will blink when the battery needs to be recharged. However, it will also blink prematurely if there's an issue with the electrical connection between the battery and the Provari's processor. This could be a compressed spring in the battery compartment. It also could be dirty connections.

The Provari is very sensitive to any dirt or carbon deposits on the positive battery contact inside the Provari. Use isopropal alcohol on a long cotton tip applicator, or a pencil eraser, to clean it. This can cause some battery issues if not kept clean on a regular basis.

Also check the battery cap's threads. These are bare metal and should be shiney. If dark and dirty, this can cause battery issues because the end cap is part of the electrical circuit. You'll need an anti-oxidant like Noaloxx to clean the threading. You can find this on the Provape website, or find it in the electrical section of most hardware stores. Spread sparingly on the threading, work it in with either an old toothbrush or with the cap on the Provari (on & off motion). Wipe it away with a soft cloth or paper towel, and apply another time until the threads look shiney.

noalox-2.jpg

PROVARI CLEANING AND MAINTANANCE GUIDE

I've personally had bad luck with Efest batteries, to the point where I don't recommend them to friends. Having said that, many people use them and like them. I use pretty much only AW IMR batteries in all of my mods. I've never had a problem with any of them; a few of them have been in a rotation for about 16 months and are still going strong.

I use a Nitecore Intellicharger i4 as my primary charger.

Last edited:

MsComptrtchr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2013
Tucson, it's a dry heat
You know what? The threads on the extension cap are practically black. Never having seen a Provari before, I did not know they were supposed to be silver and shiny. I'm gonna get some noalox tomorrow (I wonder if ACE Hardware carries it??) I bet they have long cotton swabs and isopropyl too, if not, Walgreens is down the street.

Thanks everyone for your informative replies!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread