Battery Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spiros_Strat

Nov 17, 2021
Hello! I posted about my issue in the "new" section, but I'm also posting here, hoping more people will see. Here is the problem: My batteries go down very fast after they drop below 40%. So for a bit of info, I first used an eleaf istick pico, with a sketchy battery in retrospect, used to charge it via usb and all was good. I then wanted to upgrade and got a vaporesso GenS, 2 vtc5as and an Xtar vc2 to charge them. After a bit, I updated its firmware and I started noticing the issue I described above, but it could have been there from before. I then got a pair of vtc6s, which did the same in my Gen S, and finally, I got a pair of molicel p26as, which also did the same out of the box, they came at about 40% charge new. After all those, I repurposed my set of vtc6s and use them on the pico, charging all the cells on the Xtar. I now think that the issue comes from the charger, since the vtc6s in the pico also die very fast after 40%. Is this a known issue with any of my gear?

• Optimistic
Reactions: Superuser187

Superuser187

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2020
Athens
Γεια σου Σπυροοοοοοοοοοο...

I also answered but i will add here also that since u tried so many sets of batteries cant be all faulty...

If the xtar charger didnt charge them properly then they wouldnt charge fully and the mods wouldnt show 100% battery when u put them in cause they wouldn't have high voltage...

So i think as i said in the new members thread that all is fine ajd since the update the battery in the gen changed the way it shows it...

But u say that the eleaf mod do the same so i am not sure whats going on...
Cant be all batteries faulty... something is wrong or we miss something here...or maybe u start notice the battery percentages more now and notice difference...

I hope when u say the battery last less u compare with the same coils cause if u change resistance and wattage u cant compare good...

Either way u gonna figure it out i am sure :)

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    If you think your charger isn't charging to 4.2v, then check them on a Digital Multimeter after you charge them.

On your other thread...

I do indeed, 75-100 watts depending on the atty

eLeaf istick pico

I assume your pico is a single battery pico since 99% of them are. If so, you shouldn't be vaping 75-100W on a single battery mod even on a 30 amp battery IMHO. 75W-80W should be safe but you're asking for major voltage sag. Anything more than that and you're asking for trouble. Stick with dual bat mods if you vape that high.

Spiros_Strat

Nov 17, 2021
    If you think your charger isn't charging to 4.2v, then check them on a Digital Multimeter after you charge them.

On your other thread...

I assume your pico is a single battery pico since 99% of them are. If so, you shouldn't be vaping 75-100W on a single battery mod even on a 30 amp battery IMHO. 75W-80W should be safe but you're asking for major voltage sag. Anything more than that and you're asking for trouble. Stick with dual bat mods if you vape that high.
    I don't vape the eleaf in those wattages, the issue started appearing there too though

Spiros_Strat

Nov 17, 2021
    Γεια σου Σπυροοοοοοοοοοο...

I also answered but i will add here also that since u tried so many sets of batteries cant be all faulty...

If the xtar charger didnt charge them properly then they wouldnt charge fully and the mods wouldnt show 100% battery when u put them in cause they wouldn't have high voltage...

So i think as i said in the new members thread that all is fine ajd since the update the battery in the gen changed the way it shows it...

But u say that the eleaf mod do the same so i am not sure whats going on...
    Cant be all batteries faulty... something is wrong or we miss something here...or maybe u start notice the battery percentages more now and notice difference...

I hope when u say the battery last less u compare with the same coils cause if u change resistance and wattage u cant compare good...

Either way u gonna figure it out i am sure :)
    The problem is that the batteries drain slowly up to 40%, and after that, they deplete in about 5-10 puffs. The pico didn't have that problem before using the xtar charged batteries, it drained smoothly from full to zero. This happens no matter the atomizer/mod/build, will probably research it more

BillW50

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 23, 2014
    US
    How do you vape Spiros_Strat? If you are a tootle puffer, you probably can vape through 100% of the battery without noticing any problems. But if you are using quite a bit of amps, about 60% of the battery is useful and the last 40% drops quickly. It always was that way with cylinder cells. They can't physically expand and shrink like lipos in poly bags.

Even so, I still prefer cylinder cells because they are easier to change and recharge outside of the mod. Plus they are harder to physically damage (except the wrapper). Some mods say the battery is dead after 60% used and some mods doesn't. Some are smarter and adjust the battery level based on how you are using it. If the battery can't supply the amps (wrong kind of battery), a regulated mod will error with weak battery or just shutdown.

Regardless how the mod is reading the battery level, I charge the batteries at or before the cells hit 3.6v. This is about 60% of the capacity used. Plus your batteries will last longer if you practice this since you will get many more recharges out of them. They last longer too if you only charge them up to 4.10v too. That is about 94% charged. Yeah PIA and you don't have to do it that way. But it helps.

Train2

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 11, 2013
    CA, USA
    Hello! I posted about my issue in the "new" section, but I'm also posting here, hoping more people will see. Here is the problem: My batteries go down very fast after they drop below 40%. So for a bit of info, I first used an eLeaf istick pico, with a sketchy battery in retrospect, used to charge it via usb and all was good. I then wanted to upgrade and got a vaporesso GenS, 2 vtc5as and an Xtar vc2 to charge them. After a bit, I updated its firmware and I started noticing the issue I described above, but it could have been there from before. I then got a pair of vtc6s, which did the same in my Gen S, and finally, I got a pair of molicel p26as, which also did the same out of the box, they came at about 40% charge new. After all those, I repurposed my set of vtc6s and use them on the pico, charging all the cells on the Xtar. I now think that the issue comes from the charger, since the vtc6s in the pico also die very fast after 40%. Is this a known issue with any of my gear?

Just a couple thoughts that MAY not have been pointed out already -
    First - batteries almost always are delivered well below full charge. They should be!
    Second - not sure where 40% is, as I almost always run mechs - but I CAN tell you that when I pop a battery in to charge it, it's usually somewhere near 3.6 volts or so. Nowhere near "all the way run down". In fact, most mods protect you from going below I think 3.2 volts, as beyond that and they can be damaged. So running from 100% down to 40% and then charging MAY in fact be expected use, and totally normal...
    Finally - where'd you buy your batteries? Just check that it's a highly trusted reputable vendor (you can check with people here) - because there ARE "fake" batteries that won't perform as well as the models you think you're buying!

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    not sure where 40% is, as I almost always run mechs - but I CAN tell you that when I pop a battery in to charge it, it's usually somewhere near 3.6 volts or so. Nowhere near "all the way run down".

I think people using percentages are figuring a battery's working voltage from 3.2v and 4.2 volts. So 40% charge would be about 3.6v.

The mod I'm using right now is telling me my battery is at 48% @ 3.72v.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA

Superuser187

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 10, 2020
    Athens
    The problem is that the batteries drain slowly up to 40%, and after that, they deplete in about 5-10 puffs. The pico didn't have that problem before using the xtar charged batteries, it drained smoothly from full to zero. This happens no matter the atomizer/mod/build, will probably research it more

That is so wierd....since u say after 40% the batteries drain with only 5-10puffs or so and that this happens on the eleaf also with 3 different brands of batteries....hmmm

I think we miss something here cause this dont make sence..

First of all its good to check eith a multimeter that your batteries charge to full even tho the mods wouldnt show 100% battery i guess if the batteries didnt reach 4.15v or something...

Now all that u say lead me to think that the problem is the batteries but how can the batteries be the problem since u have tried 3 different brand new brands of batteries i mean vtc6 vtc5 and some molicel that u mention...

The only thing i can think of is that maybe those batteries are purchased by the same shop that sells fakes or used batteries?

Or maybe at some point u tried to experiment on the gens with a huge coil build and vaped with all those batteries at extreme high wattages like 180watts or something and sooo the batteries got damaged and now they no longer perform that great???

Just saying 2 scenarios that would make sence with the info u tell us cause really cant think of something else...

Also it would be nice if u remember how many puffs u used to get before the problem starts and by using same wattage and coils ofc and check how many puffs u get now...
    Its not the moet accurate way to measure but u could get an idea

Another thing that i thought of now is that on the gen s mod that needs 2 batteries u must use for example 2 vtc5 batteries that are both bought new and they are used only for the gen or any other double battery mod and never use one of those batteries in other single battery mods...cause they must have the same wear on the them....u must think of them like they are one double battery....just saying in case u didnt knew...

Last edited:
    Reactions: smacuser

Richard Winter

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 30, 2018
    United Kingdom
    This is quite a confusing thread. Some good advice being given but I'm still unclear what the real problem is.

When you fully charge a battery, it should read 4.2V give or take a smidge. When its depleted and the mod shuts down it should read approx 3.4V. Check that this is the case with either a multimeter or put the battery back in the charger to see what voltage its reading.

A lot of mods do display slightly different voltage reading due to the nature of the different on board chips. They are also not consistent with reporting a linear curve of remaining battery voltage.

Dual battery mods DO need the 2 batteries to be paired/married together throughout their life cycle.

If you've tried many different batteries in the mod that seems to be causing the issue your having I can only say it's something the mod is doing.

Hawise

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 25, 2013
    AB, Canada
    I'm not entirely clear about what's going on so I may be mistaken, but I'm inclined to think that nothing's actually wrong and you're just seeing the effects of voltage sag. Basically, as soon as you put a load on a battery its voltage drops. For example, a battery might read 3.5 v while it's at rest (meaning it shows as having a reasonable amount of power left), but as soon as you press the fire button it drops to 3.2 v and you get a low battery warning. Two major factors in voltage sag are how hard you're using the battery and the age of the battery - sag will increase significantly as the battery ages.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread