Battery Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

landonk12

Nov 18, 2017
Got brand new batteries for my smok alien. I’ve read articles that say keep your batteries at a high charge for the longest battery life (short and long term) and I’ve also read articles that say I should let them get close to dying before charging them to preserve battery life (again both short and long term). So I’m not sure which one is the better option. Does anyone know which is better for the batteries?

Reactions: stols001

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
I really don't think it makes much difference unless you let them drain down too low. Most mods cut them off around 3.6 v to prevent that.

You might get a little better lifetime with recharging before they get that low. But not worth the hassle.

I have batteries that are over a year old and still in good shape. They are cheap anyway so no problem to replace.

• Agree

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
  • Long term storage of unused batteries should be done in a dry place at room temperature (69 degrees F) at 40% voltage. Dispose of old unused batteries at a recycling center such as Radio Shack or Hope Depot.
Battery University is an excellent resource for all topics of batteries.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Got brand new batteries for my Smok alien. I’ve read articles that say keep your batteries at a high charge for the longest battery life (short and long term) and I’ve also read articles that say I should let them get close to dying before charging them to preserve battery life (again both short and long term). So I’m not sure which one is the better option. Does anyone know which is better for the batteries?

Here is a Great Source of Information on Batteries...

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

Battery Information Table of Contents, Basic to Advanced

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Unless you're using a mechanical mod, over-discharging your batteries is very hard to do.

It is good for Li ion cells to hit the charger at 3.3v, which where all but one my regulated mods say "charge!" The other stops me at 3.4v.

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
Got brand new batteries for my Smok alien. I’ve read articles that say keep your batteries at a high charge for the longest battery life (short and long term) and I’ve also read articles that say I should let them get close to dying before charging them to preserve battery life (again both short and long term). So I’m not sure which one is the better option. Does anyone know which is better for the batteries?

It is either or in all honesty, or like Baditude posted above, for storage, long term their is a median charge between 3.4 to 3.7v for long term storage and keep them topped off and checked for voltage about every month to 2 months to keep them in that 3.4 to 3.7v range.

The next issue will be from your mod itself, amp limits on a dual battery mod like the Alien 220W, if you are 150watts plus you "Do Not" want to go down below 50% charge on your batteries with that mod, because it will battery error out at 5.6v total voltage (2.8v per battery) and that is way to low for the amount of amps that mod can ask from a pair of batteries.

220watts/5.6v=39.28amps
220watts/7.4v (3.7v per battery)=29.73amps.

Just FYI

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Unless you over discharge them, the life isn't going to be affected much either way. LiIon batteries have a natural life cycle, and it is about 300 recharges. However, that's 300 full charges. If you recharge them at the halfway point, you only "use up" half of a charge. The short answer is don't over-discharge and otherwise don't think about it. They'll last long enough provided you buy quality cells.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Welcome and glad you joined.
I have followed the recommendations below for years and found the article to be accurate with regards to maintaining max. full charge between use.
Might like to read:
7 Best Practices to Keep Your Charge

• Informative

Gramdogg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2016
Fredericton NB Canada
Unless you over discharge them, the life isn't going to be affected much either way. LiIon batteries have a natural life cycle, and it is about 300 recharges. However, that's 300 full charges. If you recharge them at the halfway point, you only "use up" half of a charge. The short answer is don't over-discharge and otherwise don't think about it. They'll last long enough provided you buy quality cells.
Yup 300-500 and my mods cut off at 2.85v, 3.11v and 3.3v where batteries cut off at 2.5v so say with the 3.3v cut off you can expect closer to or over 500 charges. I had someone tell me I'm in for trouble using them almost 2 years now... they are fine. Drop 0.05v after charging overnight and don't get weak battery alerts till around 3.3v. Storing them incase of power outages but could easily get 2 years the way I vape.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I've rarely let my batteries drain all the way down before charging/swapping a fresh set. Almost all my batteries are 1-2 years old. Last week I had 1 battery in a three paired not accept a charge. So I broke that by tossing the bad one and keeping a two sat instead. I also ordered a bunch of batteries on Thanksgiving sale last week just to have a buffer. I have about 18 batteries (maybe, I lose count) and this is the first time an issue ever arose. Good batteries are reliable but they're not immortal.

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
"These ain't your granddad's rechargeables." Today's lithium batteries don't have the "memory" issues associated with ye olde NiCd batteries from the days of yore. Keep them topped up, go ahead and recharge whenever is convenient. There's no need to let them discharge all the way, and in fact letting them drain below 2.5 volts can permanently damage the battery. They don't hold up especially well to long-term storage under any conditions, but best results can be achieved at about half charge, or just under 3.7 volts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread