Status
Not open for further replies.

nuhrayoh

ECF Veteran
Aug 2, 2013
SC, USA
So I'm kind of a noob when it comes to batteries since I've only been using the 2 18650 efest batteries and the charger that came with my kit. I'm a little confused about them. I've heard that AW IMR batteries have safer chemistry. So those are safer than my efest batteries? Also, do different batteries require different chargers? Will my current charger work on AW IMR's if I choose to buy them? or would I need to buy a whole new charger?

SilverZero

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 20, 2013
Illinois, USA
So I'm kind of a noob when it comes to batteries since I've only been using the 2 18650 efest batteries and the charger that came with my kit. I'm a little confused about them. I've heard that AW IMR batteries have safer chemistry. So those are safer than my efest batteries? Also, do different batteries require different chargers? Will my current charger work on AW IMR's if I choose to buy them? or would I need to buy a whole new charger?

As Sugar stated, without knowing what charger you have it's impossible to say.

It's also important to know what type of mod you are using the Efests in. I use Efests in my VAMO all the time and they work great, but I won't use them in a mechanical mod.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
My guess as to why members would not use in a mech mode is that they may not have the circuitry protected. It will say on the battery if it is protected or not. I don't use mech, so like I said just a guess.

edit. Just looked up the sigelei zmax and it has protection in the unit itself but not the batteries. Very important distinction. Always know what you are buying and why. When you buy mods, etc in the future, make sure you read the descriptions the vendor places on their websites AND always follow their recommendations. Most will tell you what to use exactly.

Last edited:

SilverZero

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 20, 2013
Illinois, USA
Currently I'm using them on a sigelei zmax. Why wouldn't you use efests in a mechanical though? i keep hearing different things but I haven't heard exactly why they wouldn't be good.

The Efests I own do have the same stated maximum discharge rate as AW IMRs, but AW's are likely higher quality cells. My understanding is that one battery manufacturer can produce a batch of batteries but not every individual battery in that batch is created equally in terms of discharge rate and their ability to hold a charge. AW will test those batteries and will only put their initials on the ones that meet their quality standards. Basically they only purchase grade A cells from the manufacturer while other companies will be content selling the lower grades.

It's quite possible that the Efest IMR's that I have are grade A as well but I'd prefer to use AW in my mech. My VAMO is completely protected so I don't worry so much about using a lesser grade battery in it.

nuhrayoh

ECF Veteran
Aug 2, 2013
SC, USA
The kit i bought came with 2 Efest IMR 18650 2000mAh batteries and a HG-1206W Dual battery charger, according to the vendor I bought them from. I'm planning on buying a mech mod soon though but I want to be safe with what batteries I put in them. Would I be okay with the AW IMR's or are there better ones? Money isn't an issue at this point since I don't want to go cheap when it comes to batteries.

moondragon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2012
Is there a specific battery you would recommend for mech mods?

The exact battery best for a mod (mech or not) is going to be dependent on the specific device (type, size, button top, no button top, etc). Generally there will be specific information from the supplier about which battery is the best for the device. Once you know the battery, then you can get the appropriate charger for that battery.

Here are some good links which talk about selecting/using rechargeable batteries, in general:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ecf-library/129569-rechargeable-batteries.html

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/announcements-news/129007-warning-rechargeable-batteries-apvs.html

In conjunction with the supplier's recommendations, the information from those links helped me understand not only the 'what' but 'why'.

Hope this helps.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
The kit i bought came with 2 Efest IMR 18650 2000mAh batteries and a HG-1206W Dual battery charger, according to the vendor I bought them from. I'm planning on buying a mech mod soon though but I want to be safe with what batteries I put in them. Would I be okay with the AW IMR's or are there better ones? Money isn't an issue at this point since I don't want to go cheap when it comes to batteries.

The issue with mechanical mods is that they have no safety features built in. The features that count here are short protection and drawing too many amps from the battery. Both conditions result in the battery draining too fast and getting hot. IMR lithium ion batteries are considered chemically safer and should not burn. Because of this they are not protected. ICR lithium ion batteries need a protection chip in them because if they are discharged too fast they get hot, vent and then burn. That chip can fail. If there is not enough venting in the mod you have essentially a pipe bomb.

If you are staying above about 0.7 ohms with your coils you should be fine with any IMR battery from a known manufacturer. If you go below that resistance I would chose a battery that could handle the amp draw with some to spare for shorts. AW IMR's are considered the best until you get REALLY low in resistance.

The charger should be of good quality also. I don't know yours, so can't comment on it. Xtar and Pila are very well known and liked.

Both types of lion batteries can be charged with the same charger.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread