Battery OverCharge Question - Need Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wern314

ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2013
Erie, Pennsylvania
I'm new to mods and I've just been reading about rechargeable batteries and how to charge properly. I'm seeing that you shouldn't be charging above 4.2v however I notice that when I put a freshly charged 18650 battery (using Intellicharger i4) into my Vamo V5 it shows 4.3v. I want to get the most out of my batteries so I'm doing my homework. Is this a charger defect or is if my batteries? Or both? I'm pretty sure my first bought 18650 batteries are knockoffs but I'm getting good authentic ones soon. Any help is appreciated.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
First of all, high quality batteries are a MUST in any mod. This is one area to not skimp by using cheap no-name batteries. High quality batteries also deserve a high quality charger.

The Nitecore Intellicharger i4 is an excellent charger, but there are knockoff (counterfeit) chargers being sold just as there are knockoff batteries. I use an authentic i4 myself and my batteries always come off the charger at 4.2 volts.

Your saving grace is that the Vamo is a regulated mod which uses protective circuitry in the processor, so anything fishy with a battery and it will refuse to fire.

Always purchase from a trustworthy vendor like RTD Vapor for all your batteries and chargers to insure you are getting authentic supplies.

Battery Basics for Mods

Last edited:

HughDaHand

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2012
Swartz Creek, MI
Buying cheapos was a newbie mistake I admit, I plan on buying only authentic good quality batteries in the future. So after checking the fully charged batteries on my multimeter it looks as though my Vamo v5 is showing higher than actual. The 2 batteries I tested on multimeter came out to 4.21v and 4.22v.

My vamo v2 does the same thing. My batterys come off my I2 and I4 chargers right at 4.20-4.21 as read by my brother in laws expensive fluke multimeter (he is a electrician). My Vamo will read them as 4.3v right after that and I tend to believe the multimeter in that situation. It does get the ohm readings pretty much spot on tho.

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
RA-YellowroseMouse207-welcome.gif
to ecf Wern314. So glad you are here and good questions. One that will help you and others. That is why I like reading new posts.........I always learn a bit along the way. Have fun and happy vaping to you. :)

Vosblod

Apr 16, 2014
UK
There was a headline on the news last night saying how dangerous e cigs were so I decided to watch - turns out it was a 'my battery caught fire' story; at the end they casually mentioned that it was due to a dodgy/unregulated charger that didn't know when to stop. And therein lies the truth - it could of been charging any battery for any purpose but they had to link it to 'e cigs are dangerous'.

Anyway I digress - as above don't skimp on batteries/chargers; unless you want to give e cigs a bad name and charcoal your wall socket...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread