battery question

Status
Not open for further replies.

marviner

ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
According to lighthound.com:

The primary difference between the Protected and Unprotected batteries is that the protected batteries have a small circuit board, typically on the bottom of the battery, that stops the charging or discharge of the battery in certain circumstances. Some of the circumstances in which the circuit include: Over-Charge, Over-Discharge, Short-Circuit, and in some cases, overheating.

So I guess protected batteries are safer to use and charge - but even protected batteries are not absolutely safe.

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
I believe the way you see protection in action on something like an Ego/Riva is if you short the threaded end with juice, you get flashing LED instead of power. If the battery voltage gets below a certain amount of volts, you get flashing LED instead of power. When the battery is on the charger, it knows when to stop charging and does not overcharge. If you put on an atomizer that draws too much current, that will be treated like a short and you get flashing LED instead of power. All of these things are designed to protect the battery becoming undercharged, overcharged, or discharging current too fast (all things that can damage a battery and lead to meltdown). It's not perfect but it tries to protect the battery from stupid human tricks.

Without protection, a battery is stupid and will give/take whatever it is asked for to the point of destroying itself, often in dangerous ways.

Check Lighthound for batteries or boxmods.net or Madvapes?

Last edited:

Shekinahsgroom

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2011
South East

Quinic

Verified Member
May 9, 2011
North Carolina
According to lighthound.com:

The primary difference between the Protected and Unprotected batteries is that the protected batteries have a small circuit board, typically on the bottom of the battery, that stops the charging or discharge of the battery in certain circumstances. Some of the circumstances in which the circuit include: Over-Charge, Over-Discharge, Short-Circuit, and in some cases, overheating.

So I guess protected batteries are safer to use and charge - but even protected batteries are not absolutely safe.

This post has much truth in it. However, do not think because a Lion battery is protected that it is completely safe. They are still very capable of thermal runaway (this is a very bad thing). I HIGHLY recommend getting a good charger... the Pila IBC 4-stage charger ( Buy Pila IBC 4-stage Charger, AC Adapter | Pila BC01-AC01 ) is the lowest quality one I would purchase... and it starts at about $45. This charger can also handle IMR batteries. I personally have a hobby charger, but that setup ran me over $100 (and it helps that I play around a bit with R/C cars). A good charger lets you set the voltage you want to charge your batteries to. Considering the application (e-cigarettes) there is no need to "break in" or "deep cycle" our batteries.

Also, AW makes decent batteries. All of the AW's that I have purchased are made of parts that are manufactured in Japan (although, they are assembled in China). AW has a bit of a reputation for making a good, reliable battery.

Get a multimeter... a crappy $30 one will do... but it wouldn't hurt to spend money on a good brand name one. Never charge a Lion battery that has been over discharged (I consider 2.0 volts as too low... although some protection circuits will kick in as high as 2.9 volts). Never use a battery that has been over charged (I consider 4.3 volts too high).

I would also make sure I had an area to charge the batteries. Something that will not burn easily. A metal box, concrete slab... something like that, and would only charge my batteries there. Never charge them unattended.

Just as a side note, I personally try to avoid using Lion batteries, and stick with Nimh. This comes with it's own set of problems...

Oh my... I'm rambling again. I'll just sum this all up by saying, do a lot of research in regards to these batteries. The "Li" part of "Lion" is lithium which burns when exposed to water. Although, I do not mean to scare you away from Lion batteries... do keep in mind, most phones and almost every laptop these days use Lion batteries. And there are some "safe" chemical Lithium batteries that do not supply a fuel source to the lithium... I'm rambling again.

Do more research.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread