Battery question???

Status
Not open for further replies.

DizGrizz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2012
Near Austin, TX
As a rule, Lithium-ion (and derivatives like Lithium-manganese, etc.) prefer to be at 1/2 to 3/4 charge when placed into "cold storage". At full charge, they are, like all batteries, more prone to internal current leakage which can degrade them over time. LiOn batteries are, however, some of the best rechargeables at retaining their power in storage and can hold a charge for months and longer.

vsummer1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2012
California
As a rule, Lithium-ion (and derivatives like Lithium-manganese, etc.) prefer to be at 1/2 to 3/4 charge when placed into "cold storage". At full charge, they are, like all batteries, more prone to internal current leakage which can degrade them over time. LiOn batteries are, however, some of the best rechargeables at retaining their power in storage and can hold a charge for months and longer.

And based on this information, I would indeed store mine fully charged in anticipation of power outages if I was in an area where they tend to occur. You can buy another battery for what, $10? Which is better than NOT having a charged battery.

I rotate mine but keep them charged.

Also, I have a car adapter for my charger. It came with it, and I am very happy with it:
Crystal Clear Vaping

moishesmom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2012
west bloomfield

I know I have the brain of a road-cone & now I'm REALLY confused:confused: all my batts are Li-Ion; am I supposed to partially use them & then store them or can I fully charge them before I put them away? I'd hate to ruin them........

vsummer1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2012
California
I know I have the brain of a road-cone & now I'm REALLY confused:confused: all my batts are Li-Ion; am I supposed to partially use them & then store them or can I fully charge them before I put them away? I'd hate to ruin them........

NO. It won't matter if you rotate them, and half discharged is only for LONG TERM storage. Don't be cheap if you may need those batteries charged!

moishesmom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2012
west bloomfield
NO. It won't matter if you rotate them, and half discharged is only for LONG TERM storage. Don't be cheap if you may need those batteries charged!

I do rotate but just bought some new ones & thought of just charging them for storage....guess I'll just put all of them to use in rotation?

moishesmom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2012
west bloomfield
Ive had batts well over a year sitting that still have a lot of charge..

Good to know, THANKS:) I just recently ventured into the world of batts; starting with 18500s & have now included the 18650s - so with the ice-age coming, just didn't have a clue. BTW - Love your avatar...what a cutey.

moishesmom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2012
west bloomfield

Cost doesn't enter into it....just want to be prepared if the wind blows over 2mph here. I don't know where 'lurking behind the iron curtain' is or if you've ever had an outage, but it means no gas, no cash registers, nothing. Therefore, generators, gasoline, propane,etc are all 'must haves' here. This is my 1st year using these type of batts & just want to cma the best way possible.

vsummer1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2012
California
Cost doesn't enter into it....just want to be prepared if the wind blows over 2mph here. I don't know where 'lurking behind the iron curtain' is or if you've ever had an outage, but it means no gas, no cash registers, nothing. Therefore, generators, gasoline, propane,etc are all 'must haves' here. This is my 1st year using these type of batts & just want to cma the best way possible.

I was referring to the people who were saying that the battery would last longer if stored half charged. What I meant was, for you, a charged battery is more important than a $10 battery lasting another year :)

Sorry if you took my meaning wrong.

Faylool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Sweet Home, Oregon USA

What are my AW IMRs then please. Thank you

moishesmom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2012
west bloomfield
I was referring to the people who were saying that the battery would last longer if stored half charged. What I meant was, for you, a charged battery is more important than a $10 battery lasting another year :)

Sorry if you took my meaning wrong.

No...I'm sorry if I sounded cross:facepalm:You're absolutely right, having the batteries charged in an emergency is exactly what I want. Funny that you mentioned CCV - I'm expecting an order from them tomorrow. I never even looked at the auto charger (duh). I've seen where someone wrote that their PV blew up w/one of those; not necessarily from CCV. I've even been looking for some kind of crank charger - not paranoid am I?

vsummer1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2012
California
No...I'm sorry if I sounded cross:facepalm:You're absolutely right, having the batteries charged in an emergency is exactly what I want. Funny that you mentioned CCV - I'm expecting an order from them tomorrow. I never even looked at the auto charger (duh). I've seen where someone wrote that their PV blew up w/one of those; not necessarily from CCV. I've even been looking for some kind of crank charger - not paranoid am I?

lol.gif

I just had this insane picture in my head of you cranking that charger like a madperson!

ETA: you don't put a PV in a charger? You put a battery in one. No wonder it blew up! :lol: I love mine, and it does have all those nice features plus the car adapter...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread