Battery question

Status
Not open for further replies.

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    I don't know if I can help you much on which batteries to use, except highly suggesting to get them from a reputable vendor. What I can say though is if the mod calls for 2 18650's, then that's what you should probably use.

Here's some links featuring the knowledge of our resident battery expert, @Mooch.
    videos - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCePHh3NMvu3rW2LFJeOWo-Q
    blog - https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/members/mooch.256958/#member_blog_entries
    recommended batteries - Mooch's Recommended Batteries | E-Cigarette Forum

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    What is the best batteries to use in a
    Laisimo L1 200w t/c Mod? Can I use anything other than 2, 18650 3.7V 3000MAH ? I'm not educated on batteries tho been vaping since 2010ish lol

It purely depends on what is the max wattage you vape at.
    For a dual battery mod:
    Under 60 watts 2 x 10A batteries LG MJ1 3400mah or Sanyo NCR18650GA 3300mah
    However if you are close to 60 watts, you may get more runtime from the 15A batteries below.
    Under 90 watts 2 x 15A batteries Samsung 30q, Molicel p26a, Sony vtc6 and more from Mooch's recommended battery chart:
    https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/attachments/164ff016-f4d4-4cd9-bffa-5633214a61be-jpeg.889007/
    Under 120 watts 2 x 20A batteries - Molicel p26A, LG HG2, Murata vtc5d and others from the above link

Chris01rob

Nov 27, 2020
    What is the best batteries to use in a
    Laisimo L1 200w t/c Mod? Can I use anything other than 2, 18650 3.7V 3000MAH ? I'm not educated on batteries tho been vaping since 2010ish lol
    Hi , if the mod is regulated then you should be able to put any 18650 battery and it regardless of the mah or voltage , this is because the mod will have safety features on it that will come into play if your mod can't handle that specific 18650, generally you are not going to get better than the Sony vtc 6's when it comes to 18650's, which the specs on these are also pretty similar to what you are using , 3.6 v 3000mAh, getting better battery life and more sustainable hits means and upgrade of mod and batts to a mod that can handle 2700 batteries etc. Anyway hope this was of any good use to you.
    Kind regards

mimöschen

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 15, 2016
    Hi , if the mod is regulated then you should be able to put any 18650 battery and it regardless of the mah or voltage , this is because the mod will have safety features on it that will come into play if your mod can't handle that specific 18650, generally you are not going to get better than the Sony vtc 6's when it comes to 18650's, which the specs on these are also pretty similar to what you are using , 3.6 v 3000mAh, getting better battery life and more sustainable hits means and upgrade of mod and batts to a mod that can handle 2700 batteries etc. Anyway hope this was of any good use to you.
    Kind regards
    Nonsense. Better forget that "advice" as quickly as possible.
    Protection circuits in your mod might possibly prevent that a lousy 18650 explodes right away, but a cell not tailored to your needs won't provide the best performance.
    Mah means nothing. Watthours and CDR (amprating) are the only factors that matter.
    Because of that and although it is one of the best 18650s with a 15A CDR, the VTC6 is not the best 18650 around. At higher wattages the VTC6 is easily outperformed by other cells like the Samsung 20S for example.

Straydonkey

Nov 24, 2020
    Palm Beach Florida
    I don't know if I can help you much on which batteries to use, except highly suggesting to get them from a reputable vendor. What I can say though is if the mod calls for 2 18650's, then that's what you should probably use.

Here's some links featuring the knowledge of our resident battery expert, @Mooch.
    videos - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCePHh3NMvu3rW2LFJeOWo-Q
    blog - https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/members/mooch.256958/#member_blog_entries
    recommended batteries - Mooch's Recommended Batteries | E-Cigarette Forum
    Thank you that does help

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    And when you do choose, I urge you to only buy from the following vendors as they are known to sell authentics. Vape stores are unreliable, no telling from whom they buy.

18650batteries.com
    imrbatteries.com
    liionwholesale.com
    illumn.com

There are others, but those are very popular with US buyers/vapers.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    I'm usually st 50w, I will use 60-80 at times but not for long

With a dual battery regulated mod you are basically pulling half the watts out of each battery, so in your case about 25 watts max per battery with a typical setup. And let's say you might want to try 100 watts one day (giving you a little head room here, just in case) you would be pulling 50 watts per batt.

25 watts per battery means each would be seeing an amp draw of slightly over 9 amps max (when the batteries are almost empty so this is a worst case scenario ... it'll be less when the batts are fully charged). At 50 watts per battery that would double to say 18.5A per battery.

Generally, the higher the mAh rating of a battery, the lower the maximum current (amp) draw that battery can handle safely. The reverse is true for lower mAh rated batteries. What makes best battery choice hard though is that there is also internal resistance to contend with. Higher amp discharge rated batteries have less of it and that really complicates things because that means they can run longer per charge irregardless of higher mAh ratings :sneaky: . Keep in mind too that my amp draw calcs are for an almost empty battery, the amp draw will be less with a more charged battery.

In your vape situation I would go for a maximum amp rating of at least 20A, pick one from Mooch's test tables and buy it from a reputable supplier as @UncleJunkle posted about. If you chose one that is higher in max amp rating you will get better performance in your higher wattage range, if you chose one closer to 20A you will get more mAh's that will translate to more vape time per battery charge at your preferred vaping wattage where you will spend most your time.

Standout OEM batteries from that list I would consider first if I vaped like you do (after a very quick look at them):

Molicell P26A
    Molicell P28A
    Murata VCT5A
    Samsung VTC5D

I would chose from that list first with attention to price and choice of supplier.

There are a bunch of batts in Mooch's non-OEM list, but I try to stay away from those as I don't know when those companies will change the battery they put under the wrap. When they do that things can change. That's just my opinion though so take it with a grain of salt.

Keep in mind too that finding the 'ulimate best' battery for you is much more involved than just choosing one that will get the job done well enough to keep you happy. As long as you chose something that vapes safely for your vape style and does not need to be recharged 12 times a day, you will likely be happy with it and not look back :)

Hope this helps a bit.

Last edited:

Chris01rob

Nov 27, 2020
    Nonsense. Better forget that "advice" as quickly as possible.
    Protection circuits in your mod might possibly prevent that a lousy 18650 explodes right away, but a cell not tailored to your needs won't provide the best performance.
    Mah means nothing. Watthours and CDR (amprating) are the only factors that matter.
    Because of that and although it is one of the best 18650s with a 15A CDR, the VTC6 is not the best 18650 around. At higher wattages the VTC6 is easily outperformed by other cells like the Samsung 20S for example.
    Hi no need to get defensive here , what I was saying in that no matter what 18650 you put in your mod, the mod will work. I did not say they will all work amazingly in the mod and give you the best performance ,I was saying he can put any 18650 in the mod as his question asked if he could use anything else. Circuit protection on your mod will protect your device and detect the problem if something was to go wrong somehow because of the batteries.

Last edited:
    • Disagree
    Reactions: TrollDragon

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Hi no need to get defensive here , what I was saying in that no matter what 18650 you put in your mod, the mod will work. I did not say they will all work amazingly in the mod and give you the best performance ,I was saying he can put any 18650 in the mod as his question asked if he could use anything else. Circuit protection on your mod will protect your device and detect the problem if something was to go wrong somehow because of the batteries.

I don't believe I have a mod that has protection functionality such that it will stop me from exceeding a given battery's amp limit.

Chris01rob

Nov 27, 2020
    With a dual battery regulated mod you are basically pulling half the watts out of each battery, so in your case about 25 watts max per battery with a typical setup. And let's say you might want to try 100 watts one day (giving you a little head room here, just in case) you would be pulling 50 watts per batt.

25 watts per battery means each would be seeing an amp draw of slightly over 9 amps max (when the batteries are almost empty so this is a worst case scenario ... it'll be less when the batts are fully charged). At 50 watts per battery that would double to say 18.5A per battery.

Generally, the higher the mAh rating of a battery, the lower the maximum current (amp) draw that battery can handle safely. The reverse is true for lower mAh rated batteries. What makes best battery choice hard though is that there is also internal resistance to contend with. Higher amp discharge rated batteries have less of it and that really complicates things because that means they can run longer per charge irregardless of higher mAh ratings :sneaky: . Keep in mind too that my amp draw calcs are for an almost empty battery, the amp draw will be less with a more charged battery.

In your vape situation I would go for a maximum amp rating of at least 20A, pick one from Mooch's test tables and buy it from a reputable supplier as @UncleJunkle posted about. If you chose one that is higher in max amp rating you will get better performance in your higher wattage range, if you chose one closer to 20A you will get more mAh's that will translate to more vape time per battery charge at your preferred vaping wattage where you will spend most your time.

Standout OEM batteries from that list I would consider first if I vaped like you do (after a very quick look at them):

Molicell P26A
    Molicell P28A
    Murata VCT5A
    Samsung VTC5D

I would chose from that list first with attention to price and choice of supplier.

There are a bunch of batts in Mooch's non-OEM list, but I try to stay away from those as I don't know when those companies will change the battery they put under the wrap. When they do that things can change. That's just my opinion though so take it with a grain of salt.

Keep in mind too that finding the 'ulimate best' battery for you is much more involved than just choosing one that will get the job done well enough to keep you happy. As long as you chose something that vapes safely for your vape style and does not need to be recharged 12 times a day, you will likely be happy with it and not look back :)

Hope this helps a bit.
    Hi very useful infrormation and you are right , however the amprage draw from your batteries will like you said be determined of the wattage that you vape on but the total draw will solely be determined by the resistance of you coil. When you calculate amp draw you need to know the voltage of your battery, the resistance of your coils and of course like you said the wattage in which u vaping at.eg, battery:3.6 v
    Resistance:0.22
    Wattage :60
    Amp draw = 16.67
    Fyi.This is a single battery demonstration as duel batt calculation gets more complicated as the amp draw will then also be determined on the voltage of the 2 batts together and vary on whether the mod is connected series or parallel this being because a coil that has the same ohmage in series will have a different ohmage in parallel, which like I said will change the total amp draw calculations final answer because amp draw also depends on resistance.

And although you can calculate amp draw by simply dividing the wattage by the total number of volts the battery supplies , this applies only to other devices, not vaping, as we use resistance to get our final product out and thats why resistance needs to be factored into total amp draw inorder calculate it correctly with vaping.
    Have a fantastic day further

Last edited:
    • Disagree
    Reactions: TrollDragon

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I already know all this. I was pointing out the flaw in the logic behind your assertion that any 18650 battery can be used in any 18650 mod and that "Circuit protection on your mod will protect your device and detect the problem if something was to go wrong somehow because of the batteries" it utterly false in ALL cases. And yes, ALL CASES DO MATTER.

...I was saying he can put any 18650 in the mod as his question asked if he could use anything else. Circuit protection on your mod will protect your device and detect the problem if something was to go wrong somehow because of the batteries.

First off, I don't believe the OP was asking if any and all 18650 batts would work/fit in his mod. I believe he was basically asking what other 18650s he could use. Your answer of any will work and the mod will protect you, is dangerous and not really in-line with the decade of battery safety vapers have been pushed down our throats.

Secondly, no mod, as far as I know, is intelligent enough to know when you are exceeding a battery's amp limit and therefore protects itself and the vaper from doing so and from the negative outcome that could bring about. Therefore, using "any battery" is not safe. If it were, we'd all be vaping on Trustfires lol.

Besides, It's not wise to even trust a mod with the protections it does have. This is especially true with these cheap mainstream mods, but I would not put my faith in any mod, high-end or otherwise.

• Agree
    Reactions: AngeNZ
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread