Battery Safety and Amperage

Status
Not open for further replies.

mimöschen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2016
Sure, long puffs cloud out any room, no matter which coil you use.
But if you want a very warm, *dense* and flavorful vape, without the need to take 10sec pulls or some exotic, overpriced gear, enough power has to be delivered to the coil. And as it stands now, building low is unfortunately the only way to go. If you're using standard gear, that is.
But granted, firing a 0.15 or lower ohm coil on a mech is a cheerful example of lived Darwinism in its truest form.

mimöschen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2016
Try a dual kanthal Clapton 26/36 7 wraps, should come in around 0.5 ohm. Bet you get a nice warm cloud and flavor. You will have to hold the fire button a second or two to heat it up.

Eliminate the wrap and use plain round kanthal like that and you’ll still have a very solid vape. It will heat up a bit faster. If it’s still not hot enough drop by 1 wrap.
In fact this was my standard build for a very long time. ;)

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
But if you want a very warm, *dense* and flavorful vape, without the need to take 10sec pulls or some exotic, overpriced gear, enough power has to be delivered to the coil. And as it stands now, building low is unfortunately the only way to go. If you're using standard gear, that is.
If you can't get what you described with a safer build on a mech, conventional wisdom says you can get it with a regulated mod and not worry about the resistance of the build. No need to go Darwin.

By standard gear, I'm assuming your talking about mechs exclusively.

Last edited:

invisiblehand13

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2014
Woodville, WI
That's why I don't use mechs. ;)

No I don't. Sorry. I had to state that more clearly.
I don't use mechs with a mouse, I do not use them in a house. I do not like them with a fox, I will not use them in a box. I do not use them here nor there, I do not like them anywhere! I do not like cloud blowing mechs, just as I will always hate my ex!

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
@mimöschen @Baditude @invisiblehand13 @Eskie @CliffCloff
@classwife @retired1

Is it just me or is something wrong with this thread? The forum is showing it as having no replies or views and no post date/time and so it just keeps dropping down the list even though there are new replies. This is the only thread with this problem.

brokethread.jpg

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
It's all good. Some like a six shooter and some like a gas operated auto handgun. Both need knowledge and training to own and use.

IMO, there's really no reason not to use a mod with protection circuitry. Mechs are cool retro tech, but you have to do it right every time or there's propensity for melt down. In 8 years of vaping there's been 2 or 3 times where I fired up my coil and got "short detected". It happens no matter how careful you are.

If you use a mech, some sort of short protection is crucial, whether it's a button style breaker or a fuse it can save you from battery spew (or worse). Most of the time when shorts happen the mod is in your pocket or close to your face and 3 inches from your eyes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread