Battery tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctorvapes

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2017
I do not understand how every couple weeks a battery of mine will get a tear on the wrap. They go straight from the charger to the mod or 521 tab and vise versa . These are new batteries too and I have no clue on how to re wrap so I'm just out of the battery and it's left me with going back to internal battery mods but I would really like to use external batteries...

Are they just this fragile or did I get a bad batch or something?

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
You buy battery wraps, which are a few cents a piece in bulk, remove the old wrap if you wish (it’s strictly speaking not required though they do build up) and put the battery inside the tube, making sure to keep the little plastic washer around the positive end (it’s important). The tubing is heat shrink so when you heat it with just about anything it will conform around the battery. a hair dryer is popular. I personally use the gas stove burner in my kitchen which makes the process very fast but a bit touchy.

There should be a complete tutorial perhaps with a video around somewhere

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
Some battery wraps are more/less durable than others.
I found the original baby blue Samsung 25r wraps were the worst.
I use Fat Daddy Vapes wraps - (shrink tubes) 1/3 of the way down the page
and IMRBatteries insulators
+ a hair dryer
There are YouTube videos. It's easy but important.
I offer to rewrap & replace for free on my FB timeline.
Here's 25+ years worth that cost me under $25 maybe under $20 IIRC
28167888_2106014819629337_2769864180806803607_n.jpg

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I do not understand how every couple weeks a battery of mine will get a tear on the wrap.

Some manufacturer's wraps are more fragile than others. The baby blue Samsung 25R's were notorious for this, and is probably why they now sport a green wrapper which seems to be more durable.
Jac Vapour INR18650-25R 20A 2500mAh 18650 Battery

battery-wrap-300x234.jpg

If you find this to be a recurring bi-weekly problem, I'm guessing that there may be some human error involved with the way you handle your batteries, too. Be extremely careful when removing or inserting a battery into your mod or charger. Don't pry them out with a "tool", perhaps use a ribbon under the battery and just pull both ends of the ribbon to remove it.

Some mods and chargers seem to have a poor tolerance of releasing the battery for removal, so even greater care must be used with them. When transporting spare batteries, make sure to use a plastic battery case to protect them.

You need not discard your damaged batteries. It's quite easy and inexpensive to re-wrap them or insert new insulation rings.

Are your battery wraps and insulator rings intact?

Why Repairing Batteries With Cracked Wraps Is Absolutely Essential

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
One source of wrap nicks could be the way the battery is removed from the charger. If you just pull it up, the wrap can get nicked by the positive contact in the charger. It's hard to pull the battery toward you when removing it, but doing so helps prevent nicks. One of those little rubber sheet jar openers is a good thing to keep next to your charger. Grab the cell with the rubber sheet and you have all sorts of pulling grip to slide the battery away from the positive contact as you lift it upward.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Rewrapping is easy. I did have one mod that just chewed through batteries (it had a ribbon, they were just a tight fit). Some wraps are more fragile than others, although most of mine are in pretty good shape, now that I've learned extreme care is necessary. No need to toss the battery, but I could see rehabbing batteries weekly as very tiresome. What mod and charger do you have that this is happening with? Could be someone on the forum could give you some specific tips for your mod. I find with battery sleds (I have nitecore intellecharger) stretching them all the way open and then gently letting the "end" rest on the battery, and same with removal, pull the sled down and then gently remove.

Oh man, coyotes are having a major party in our yard this morning (no, not the human ones).

But yes, more care may be needed, and there may be a "trick" to dealing with your mod...

Anna

Reactions: Mowgli

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I do not understand how every couple weeks a battery of mine will get a tear on the wrap. They go straight from the charger to the mod or 521 tab and vise versa . These are new batteries too and I have no clue on how to re wrap so I'm just out of the battery and it's left me with going back to internal battery mods but I would really like to use external batteries...

Rewrapping Batteries is relatively Simple. And all you would Basically need is a Hair Dryer and some Battery Wraps.

But I would want to know Why are my Battery Wraps getting torn in the 1st Place?

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
The wraps our batteries come with are meant for applications like a battery pack where they sit nicely and don't experience any wear and tear. They were never meant to be dicked around with the way we do, in and out of charger, in and out of mod etc.
I tend to replace my wraps with more durable ones as soon as I unpack new batteries.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Most mods are sized for a minimum of free play when the battery is inserted. Adding an overwrap increases size on most cells and it's hard to maintain the original wrap and an overwrap, especially when I add a label containing the date purchased.

Still, a good heating of the secondary wrap usually yields something that works and allows the battery to slide into the sled. I like clear wraps that maintain the see through info on the original wrap.

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread