Status
Not open for further replies.

Blix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2013
Stabekk, Norway
buy a set of these and thank me later.... :)

One of those got me through a 13 hour workday yesterday. Obviously not chainvaping, but still.
They are also the very best battery there is for those who like to go below 1 ohm. They are hi-drain, safe chemistry and blows the AW IMR out of the water and then some. 2900mAh

I'm ordedring a few more as I type.

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Cool. It says, tho, that they are 10 amp discharge (max pulse 18 amp). MNKEs are 20 amp (max pulse 60 amp), and AW1600s are 24 amp. So for subΩ, one might think otherwise. I checked with Pbusardo when he reviewed these (under the Orbitronic name: ncr18650pd 2900mAh), and we agreed that these are GREAT for Variable Voltage devices but that for subΩ, not so much. He has some charts that reflect it.

Blix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2013
Stabekk, Norway
Cool. It says, tho, that they are 10 amp discharge (max pulse 18 amp). MNKEs are 20 amp (max pulse 60 amp), and AW1600s are 24 amp. So for subΩ, one might think otherwise. I checked with Pbusardo when he reviewed these (under the Orbitronic name: ncr18650pd 2900mAh), and we agreed that these are GREAT for Variable Voltage devices but that for subΩ, not so much. He has some charts that reflect it.

You might want to read this thread: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...8650-2900mah-high-drain-version-part-1-a.html

Bish have quite a lot of experience with sub-ohm coils and raves about them.

I just checked out the PBusardo vid, and he said it pretty much outperformed anything else, didn't see anything that indicated something else?

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
pbusardo has a chart for the orbitronics performance (pg 4 on tasteyourjuice; gallery; pic/thumbnail #4). There's a pane/window where you can see a comparison to AW2000. From 4.2 to ~3.8 volts, the AW outperforms the Orbitronic. This is the point at which I (and I'm given to understand many/most) SLR vapers swap batteries.

If you then take the winning AW 2000 over to ↓ this interactive chart and compare it to the AW1600, at 5&7 amps, you'll see the 1600 outperforms the 2000 in the same volt range.

Battery test-review 18650 comparator

The fact that I emailed busardo and he confirmed my understanding of his chart, and concurred with my conclusion (that the ncr18650pd isn't as good for subΩ as even the AW2000), I'm afraid, you'll have to take my word on.

EDIT: took a glance at the bishopheals thread. That's gonna take a while to wade thru. Thanks for the info.

Last edited:

Blix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2013
Stabekk, Norway
pbusardo has a chart for the orbitronics performance (pg 4 on tasteyourjuice; gallery; pic/thumbnail #4). There's a pane/window where you can see a comparison to AW2000. From 4.2 to ~3.8 volts, the AW outperforms the Orbitronic. This is the point at which I (and I'm given to understand many/most) SLR vapers swap batteries.

If you then take the winning AW 2000 over to ↓ this interactive chart and compare it to the AW1600, at 5&7 amps, you'll see the 1600 outperforms the 2000 in the same volt range.

Battery test-review 18650 comparator

The fact that I emailed busardo and he confirmed my understanding of his chart, and concurred with my conclusion (that the ncr18650pd isn't as good for subΩ as even the AW2000), I'm afraid, you'll have to take my word on.

EDIT: took a glance at the bishopheals thread. That's gonna take a while to wade thru. Thanks for the info.

My head literally spins from going through those charts lol. :)

Now the charts from Busardo may not reflect vaping conditions, I suspect the the AW IMR may hold the voltage better under continious load, while the 18650PD holds it better in short bursts, which Bish's numbers suggest, sounds plausible to me?

Either way, I can really recommend the Panasonics, you really get a nice few hours out of them :)

ChrisEU

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2011
Germany
Ah, the age old discussion is back =) If you really plan on pushing 7 to 10 Amps through your Kanthal, you need to look at what the manufacturers call "Power Tool Cells" - Today those are all IMR or INR and thus "safe chemistry".

I believe the current best that is actually available is the Samsung INR 18650-20R cell, rated at 10C / 20A and outperforming the AW IMR 1600 by quite a bit. But it is mint green and you need to use a button magnet or spot-weld something on top, because it is a flat top, like all raw cells.

That said, I am not going to the extremes with my mech mods, including the Grand, and use the Panasonic NCR18650B that are not too shabby for electronic mods as well as mechs.

Statistic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2013
United States
Ah, the age old discussion is back =) If you really plan on pushing 7 to 10 Amps through your Kanthal, you need to look at what the manufacturers call "Power Tool Cells" - Today those are all IMR or INR and thus "safe chemistry".

I believe the current best that is actually available is the Samsung INR 18650-20R cell, rated at 10C / 20A and outperforming the AW IMR 1600 by quite a bit. But it is mint green and you need to use a button magnet or spot-weld something on top, because it is a flat top, like all raw cells.

That said, I am not going to the extremes with my mech mods, including the Grand, and use the Panasonic NCR18650B that are not too shabby for electronic mods as well as mechs.

I'm putting my money where your mouth is... not much of it though..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HID-Battery...US_Rechargeable_Batteries&hash=item4ac1deaf5c

Last edited:

ChrisEU

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2011
Germany
They have a welding service for free - ask them if they can put buttons on top the positive connector - you dont want the connector tabs, but a button would be fab for the use in a Grand.

Oh, and the seller seems to be in China - have you bought from them before? Unfortunately there are some counterfeit cells on the market.

Last edited:

Blix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2013
Stabekk, Norway
So another real life example of the NCR18650PD:

This morning at 6:30 am I loaded a fresh Pana in my Reo Grand, it's got a 1.1ohm Reomizer 2.0 on it.

I just came home from work now, it's 2:57 pm.

The battery measured 4.21 volts when I put it in, right now it bang on 4 volts.

I'm obviously not chainvaping, but I do sit behind a desk and take a few puffs fairly often throughout the day, this is amazing battery performance in my book! :)

narcolepticltd

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 14, 2013
atlanta, GA, USA
So another real life example of the NCR18650PD:

This morning at 6:30 am I loaded a fresh Pana in my Reo Grand, it's got a 1.1ohm Reomizer 2.0 on it.

I just came home from work now, it's 2:57 pm.

The battery measured 4.21 volts when I put it in, right now it bang on 4 volts.

I'm obviously not chainvaping, but I do sit behind a desk and take a few puffs fairly often throughout the day, this is amazing battery performance in my book! :)

Don't confuse us with facts, I simply ordered them because the mint green goes well with my black and white grand...

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
My head literally spins from going through those charts lol. :)

Now the charts from Busardo may not reflect vaping conditions, I suspect the the AW IMR may hold the voltage better under continious load, while the 18650PD holds it better in short bursts, which Bish's numbers suggest, sounds plausible to me?

Either way, I can really recommend the Panasonics, you really get a nice few hours out of them :)

I know, I know :blink: I WISH we could see tests/charts based on pulse discharging! :) That's why I think the MNKE charts out so poorly, but performs (IMO) really well.

I haven't gotten through all of Bishopheal's stuff yet; but I guess that does reflect the vaper's battery use better than the charts do.

OK, I'll back off on pooh-pooh-ing this battery for subΩ. Maybe I'll give it a shot and see for myself. The only other thing that has me scratching my head is the chemistry/safety. It seems like safer chemistry than LiCo, but I don't have any info on what it would do if it did lose it's composure.

BTW; My MNKEs, which are only ~13-1500mAh last me a good work day too. They are probably @ ~3.8v by the time I get home; but they just keep punching right up to the end.

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
The battery pictured in your link, Stats, isn't a flat top (as I understand these things); rather, its a flat-button top, which is what the MNKEs are. That works in the Grand.

you know I thought I remembered something about not being able to use the mnke's in the grand, so like most of us we try it, anyways it seemed to work fine in my grand but since had taken it out because I wasn't sure.

It's possible that the trajectory of the firing pin isn't as perfect as with a true button top. The pin has to travel a bit further. It works fine, but I may be having to file my pin more frequently because of it. Anyway, been doing it for a couple months, now.

Edit, simultaneous posting, and there you go:)

Would a 2 cents for safety fuse help it reach the pin better?

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
i like the 2900 orbtronics - they last famously well in all my devices. i run my coils at 1Ω and they keep up with it all day.

Next will be some mnke's just because i am curious.

I constantly hear nonsense about magnets on batteries being intrinsically bad, but i use flat top batteries and that has never been my experience at all. i use them all the time. Perhaps someone will tell me why - other than "it might move and short your mod"! really!

T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread