Status
Not open for further replies.

Mazinny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
NY
Just saw a pop-up ad by an organization called Be-cigarattesafe. Out of curiosity, I clicked. Long web page, with many links to videos and other sites. Basically, the site warns against the use of removable 18650's, and recommends vapers to only use devices with an embedded, non-removable battery.

As I was scrolling down the page, I fully expected it to be an FUD ad for a device, but I got all the way down, and there were no links to any device manufacturers. It has links to Battery safety pages of various organizations, some media articles, videos etc... and links to manufacturer warnings from LG, Sony, and Samsung. It is sponsored by the Rechargeable Battery Association, Korea Battery Industry Association, and the Battery Association of Japan.

Is this the battery manufacturers insuring some against potential lawsuits!? Has anyone heard of this organization, or who is behind it? There is no "about" section, and the only contact info is a phone number in D.C. I thought it may be linked to the FDA, but there was a link to this article which seems to be critical of the FDA. Confused and curious.

Why safer vaping devices that don't explode will not be available in the U.S.

ETA: Here's the link to the site.

Lithium Battery e-Cigarette Vaping Safety | what you need to know

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Izan

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Concerning your first link, I posted a similar thread on this topic back in October.

Concerning your second link, its mostly an excellent and factual reference for novice and experienced vapers alike. The ECF community has always been about safety from the beginning. Lithium batteries, whether they are internal Lipo's or external cylindrical "safer chemistry" batteries. carry an acceptable risk of use and can be dangerous if misused or abused. This danger is not limited to just vapers; cell phone batteries can explode, too. The key point here is education of the public, which the second linked article does quite well.

Our ECF battery expert, Mooch, has an excellent You Tube channel full of videos which explain that we can use these batteries in relative safety if we practice safe battery practices. Again, the key is education.

Mooch's ECF Battery Blog

I also have several ECF blogs on battery safety.

Last edited:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Is this the battery manufacturers insuring some against potential lawsuits!?
Kinda seems that way, doesn't it? I don't suppose it offers them a whole lot of protection, but then it likely didn't cost much either.

I like this part: Never remove the plastic wrapper on an 18650 cell or attempt to “re-wrap” one.

There is no "about" section, and the only contact info is a phone number in D.C.

There's an address as well, but it's just a fairly generic high-rise (12 stories) office building.

Mazinny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
NY
Concerning your second link, its an excellent and factual reference for novice and experienced vapers alike. The ECF community has always been about safety from the beginning. Lithium batteries, whether they are internal Lipo's or external cylindrical "safer chemistry" batteries. carry an acceptable risk of use and can be dangerous if misused or abused. This danger is not limited to just vapers; cell phone batteries can explode, too. The key point here is education of the public, which the second linked article does quite well.
Yes, i've read many of Mooch and your posts re battery safety. This website goes a lot further. It specifically recommends to "never buy a loose 18650 battery" and to "only use an e-cigarette or vaping device that has an embedded (non-removable by the user) battery and protection circuits."

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Yes, i've read many of Mooch and your posts re battery safety. This website goes a lot further. It specifically recommends to "never buy a loose 18650 battery" and to "only use an e-cigarette or vaping device that has an embedded (non-removable by the user) battery and protection circuits."
Suspect the article is a "cover my ..." piece when law suits start to proliferate. I have no problem with plain common sense truthful articles. You can have cross walks marked, signs/lights,boy scouts/police, but if you are determined to step out in the middle of traffic, harm will follow.
'The amount of energy necessary to refute bull.... is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it.' -- programmer Alberto Brandolini

Reactions: Rossum

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Yeah I see what you mean now. It does go a lot further.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread