Bear With Me, I'm A Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Postalangel

Oct 25, 2015
I recently wanted to get into dripping so I went to my local vape shop for some advice & the owner sold me an ar 15 clone & a fishbone rda. After he put it together, we fired it up a few times & I was on my way however once I got home I took 4-5 hits off of it & it stopped working. I put my friends hellboy on it & that didn't work either. I took it back to my vape store & he took it in the back to "fix it". When he gave it back to me I tried it and it worked but I noticed that it was much weaker than it was before and when I looked at it I noticed that he had removed one of the coil and replace it with some stupid green LED light. When I told him how I felt about how it was weaker than it was before and I questioned him about the single coil vs dual coil he got upset with me and kind of copped an attitude and said "well that's why you have to know what you're doing, you have to tinker around with it a little bit" which I understand and I agree however something isn't making sense to me how can two different RDAs both have dual coils work perfectly on my friends mod but won't work on my ar-15 clone unless I remove one coil? What am I missing?

dcfluegel

Shenaniganator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2015
Cleveland TN
howdy! and welcome!

for what it is worth, i tend to run my drippers on regulated box mods - not familiar with the ar-15 mech... and it sounds like that shop owner does not deserve any more of your business if that is how he is going to treat you

you are in the right place - great community here, great resources... not sure why that atty started acting wonky, but do you know what the ohm reading was on the build? and what kind of battery are you using in your mod?

Reactions: Stephen1520

Postalangel

Oct 25, 2015
howdy! and welcome!

for what it is worth, i tend to run my drippers on regulated box mods - not familiar with the ar-15 mech... and it sounds like that shop owner does not deserve any more of your business if that is how he is going to treat you

you are in the right place - great community here, great resources... not sure why that atty started acting wonky, but do you know what the ohm reading was on the build? and what kind of battery are you using in your mod?
Yeah I have regulated box mod but that shop owner told me that I can't use in our da on regulated box mods
howdy! and welcome!

Oh I love my box mod I've been using an eleaf I stick for for ages now but I wanted to experience more vapor and more flavor and after researching all the different tanks I was told the way to go is with a dripper. My Hellboy rda work great for a little while and then I started getting messages on my box mod saying low atomizer no atomizer and when I talk to the store owner he said that's why you can't use drippers on regulated box mods. Anyway I don't know what the owners were at when I first bought it because the store owner put it together when I brought it back to have him look at it I was trying to read his kilometer meter but every time he push the button he couldn't even get it to read on that. That's when he took it in the back room to fixed it so I wasn't there to see what the ohm reading was. The first battery I used was an Ultrafire batteries that I bought from him after I brought back to be fixed he gave me a new battery which he claimed was a Panasonic but there is no writing on it at all it was just a green battery. I'm not much help am I?

Postalangel

Oct 25, 2015
Yeah I have regulated box mod but that shop owner told me that I can't use in our da on regulated box mods

Oh I love my box mod I've been using an eleaf I stick for for ages now but I wanted to experience more vapor and more flavor and after researching all the different tanks I was told the way to go is with a dripper. My Hellboy rda work great for a little while and then I started getting messages on my box mod saying low atomizer no atomizer and when I talk to the store owner he said that's why you can't use drippers on regulated box mods. Anyway I don't know what the owners were at when I first bought it because the store owner put it together when I brought it back to have him look at it I was trying to read his kilometer meter but every time he push the button he couldn't even get it to read on that. That's when he took it in the back room to fixed it so I wasn't there to see what the ohm reading was. The first battery I used was an Ultrafire batteries that I bought from him after I brought back to be fixed he gave me a new battery which he claimed was a Panasonic but there is no writing on it at all it was just a green battery. I'm not much help am I?
Sorry---talk to text blows. I meant to say when he attached the rda to his ohm reader, every time he push the botton he couldn't get a reading

dcfluegel

Shenaniganator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2015
Cleveland TN

no worries - the challenge with a dripper on a regulated box is only whether the box will handle the build - a mech doesnt have an ohm reader, so a bad build can cause some really safety issues/ hazards, depending on the battery... couple of suggestions... NEVER take advice from those idjits again - they seem to only care about selling you stuff, no interest in your safety (generally, a battery with 'fire' in the name is not a good thing... for my mech, I have only used sony vtc4, samsung 25r or lg he2, he4 batteries - good, safe batteries capable of handling lower ohm builds)... using your dripper on a regulated box at the very least gives you a bit of a safety buffer (built in to the circuit board on the mod) as well as ability to check ohms on your build - and that matters... personally, i would strongly suggest getting a box mod capable of running a lower ohm build (though you should likely go no lower than a .4 or .5 ohm build for now) and good, safe, reliable batteries, along with a decent external charger... the name of the game really is safety here

Reactions: JavaJunkie

Shaneguide

Ain't Life Grand
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2014
Saco Maine
Welcome to ECF :)

I am by no means an expert on much of anything when it comes to vaping, but it sounds to me like the guy that supposedly helped you is someone that you need to avoid at all costs. Staring right now at 2 regulated mods that I have and they both have drippers on them. Dont get discouraged, I am pretty sure that someone with a lot more knowledge will be along shortly to assist you. Great group of people here with a metric ton of knowledge

Reactions: dcfluegel

Postalangel

Oct 25, 2015

I am by no means an expert on much of anything when it comes to vaping, but it sounds to me like the guy that supposedly helped you is someone that you need to avoid at all costs. Staring right now at 2 regulated mods that I have and they both have drippers on them. Dont get discouraged, I am pretty sure that someone with a lot more knowledge will be along shortly to assist you. Great group of people here with a metric ton of knowledge

dcfluegel

Shenaniganator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2015
Cleveland TN

and the hellboy is a great little rda - but again, that fella is a complete idjit if he said 'that's why you can't use drippers on regulated box mods' - what he may have meant is 'that's why you can't use drippers on the janky ones we have here... so let me sell you some other junk'... grrr... folks like him make us all look bad...

currently running a hellboy with a dual clapton build, .25 ohms on a smok m80 plus regulated box mod - and it vapes like a little square dream...

dcfluegel

Shenaniganator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2015
Cleveland TN

you are spot on! :)

Postalangel

Oct 25, 2015
Yeah you guys sound great I appreciate everything that you're telling me. I've been using the I stick 100 watt with an Arctic tank. When I first got my Hellboy rda i put it on my I stick 100 and had no problem at all-it was awesome until I started getting those error messages on my box mod and when I ask that guy what I should do that's when he told me that you cannot use drippers on an RDA unless you are an expert of experts at making coils and that the coils have to be absolutely perfect or will not work. This may be a dumb question what is there a tank out there that will give you the same or close to the same amount of vapor & flavor as a dripper? If I stick with dripping what would you say is a good box mod for RDAs

dcfluegel

Shenaniganator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2015
Cleveland TN
Your mod should be more than fine... Will give down to 0.15ohm according to specs... Get good batteries - would recommend 2 married pairs of Samsung 25r's ($20 plus shipping for 4 batteries with a pair of free cases from illumn.com)... Uwell crown or tfv4 are about as close to a dripper that you will get on a tank... And both are top fill... Uwell is slightly more user friendly... Really sounds like issue was build on atty - loose connection or short... Keep the faith, keep asking questions, avoid that idiot and you'll get this rocking

Sent from Tapavapatalk

Shaneguide

Ain't Life Grand
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2014
Saco Maine
Yeah you guys sound great I appreciate everything that you're telling me. I've been using the I stick 100 watt with an Arctic tank. When I first got my Hellboy rda i put it on my I stick 100 and had no problem at all-it was awesome until I started getting those error messages on my box mod and when I ask that guy what I should do that's when he told me that you cannot use drippers on an RDA unless you are an expert of experts at making coils and that the coils have to be absolutely perfect or will not work. This may be a dumb question what is there a tank out there that will give you the same or close to the same amount of vapor & flavor as a dripper? If I stick with dripping what would you say is a good box mod for RDAs

The only dumb question, is the question not asked...

We were ALL Rookies at one point and I will be so bold as to say that we have ALL asked questions

Shaneguide

Ain't Life Grand
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2014
Saco Maine
lol - at this point, even though i may know a thing or two about a thing or two, i still am asking questions all the time... vaping is not only a good way to put down the stinksticks, it has become an interesting hobby for me as well :)

Couldn't agree more...a nice little hobby to fill time especially when the weather begins to get kinda nasty like it does here

Reactions: dcfluegel

Postalangel

Oct 25, 2015
You're right I'm having a blast I wish I had known a long time ago that I would have this much fun playing around with electronics. Was just getting very aggravated until I talked to you guys last night but I came home I built another coil for my Hellboy,put it on my I stick and it fired up and worked beautifully!!! although It was reading .5 ohms & I'd like it a little lower but at least I got it fired up on my box mod which is more than I can say for that guy. Still can't seem to get it to fire with 2 coils but I took your advice & bought a pair of good batteries online last nite... too bad though, I've always preferred to give my business to the small local shops rather than the Internet or big corporate companies

dcfluegel

Shenaniganator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2015
Cleveland TN
You're right I'm having a blast I wish I had known a long time ago that I would have this much fun playing around with electronics. Was just getting very aggravated until I talked to you guys last night but I came home I built another coil for my Hellboy,put it on my I stick and it fired up and worked beautifully!!! although It was reading .5 ohms & I'd like it a little lower but at least I got it fired up on my box mod which is more than I can say for that guy. Still can't seem to get it to fire with 2 coils but I took your advice & bought a pair of good batteries online last nite... too bad though, I've always preferred to give my business to the small local shops rather than the Internet or big corporate companies
i completely understand the desire to support your locals - but when they won't support you in turn with reliable, integrity based guidance/ service...

Reactions: Shaneguide
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread