Been a while, Clones everywhere!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Njt07

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2011
Ft Hood TX
Its been quite a while since I've been on here and also quite a while since I've bought any vape related gear other than flavorings and nic base. I've been using my trusty Reo (14500 mini) for about 3 years now and also have a Itaste MVP for home use and backup. I wanted to get a mech 18650 or 18350 mainly for my dripper that I've been using on the MVP. For some reason though the dripper (1.2 ohm Igo-L) on the MVP doesn't do as well as my Reo with Robs modded dripper (.8ohm coil with PnC yarn). Unfortunately, my Reo is getting a bit old and I need to replace the guts of it, kind of a pain to do while stationed overseas.

Last time I looked fasttech was not really a place a person would go for "quality" anything, and now it seems to be one of the prime places to get, albeit slowly, clones of just about anything. Not too sure how I feel about the clone situation, but since I cant afford, and cant get my hands on, the real stuff I guess I'll be trying out the clones.

I just placed an order with fasttech for a bunch of stuff that I have no idea about, crossing my fingers and hoping they work well. Personally I don't care if they look like the real deal or not, just if they work, and aren't a waste of money.

(all clones)
Veritas
Magma
Heron
Kick
and finally an 18650 paps clone (hopefully I can use the heron hybrid style on this one, its supposed to be a 20x1... whatever that means)

I originally looked at getting the kayfun lite 3.1 as it seems the be one of the more popular RTA (?) but I have been drooling over the spheroid ever since it came out but could never justify the price. Hopefully the clone of the heron works ok.

So, lol, thanks for reading through this long rambling post. If you've read this far, I'm just wondering if there is something else I should have ordered or should get in addition to what I have ordered already.

Dissonance

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2013
Dayton, OH, USA
Their Magma clone is OK, not amazing but pretty good for the price. The post holes on mine were crooked, I'm not sure how to fix it but it's manageable.

What shipping method did you choose, and did you order any batteries? You could be waiting 2 weeks to 2 months+ (I'm waiting 2 1/2 months at the moment... Yeah...)

As far as RTA's go (You were correct btw, RTA = rebuildable tank atty) I would highly recommend the Fogger V4. Dual coil, handles sub ohms easily (I run it at .6Ω), easy to setup, no leaking, no dryhits, adjustable airflow much more variable and easy to access than the kayfun, glass tank, just amazing. It's like an Aqua with better airflow and better wicking that doesn't get super hot quick :p Oh, and an authentic is $30. Order it off e-bay or whatever, not worth dealing with fasttech for :p

Njt07

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2011
Ft Hood TX
Their Magma clone is OK, not amazing but pretty good for the price. The post holes on mine were crooked, I'm not sure how to fix it but it's manageable.

What shipping method did you choose, and did you order any batteries? You could be waiting 2 weeks to 2 months+ (I'm waiting 2 1/2 months at the moment... Yeah...)

As far as RTA's go (You were correct btw, RTA = rebuildable tank atty) I would highly recommend the Fogger V4. Dual coil, handles sub ohms easily (I run it at .6Ω), easy to setup, no leaking, no dryhits, adjustable airflow much more variable and easy to access than the kayfun, glass tank, just amazing. It's like an Aqua with better airflow and better wicking that doesn't get super hot quick :p Oh, and an authentic is $30. Order it off e-bay or whatever, not worth dealing with fasttech for :p

I looked at the fogger, but not sure how to set it up, and Ive really been wanting to try out the spheroid. Who knows, if I like the heron enough I might just buy the real thing. Ive been using an Aga-T and an Igo L for quiet a while now, I dont know how to use the new tanks and have had bad experiences with bottom coil rebuildables.

Doesn't the fogger require non conductive wire soldered to the coils?

An no I didn't order batteries, I did a quick search on here prior to ordering from fasttech and saw the battery ordering issue.

I picked the USPS option. I am stationed in Korea but technically that counts as being in the US, hopefully it wont screw up my order. I am getting ready to go to a field exercise for a month anyway so I dont mind if it takes a while to get here. Who knows it may just get here faster since the physical distances are so much shorter...

Last edited:

Tinkiegrrl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
New York, NY
I have the Fasttech Heron and GP Paps. At least, I think that's where my Paps clone came from originally. I got mine off an eBay vendor, and it came with all three tubes. I believe Fasttech has a version like that. The heron came directly from Fasttech. Both work great in hybrid mode, but the 510 base on the heron won't make a connection with anything else. I use it exclusively with the Paps. One of my favorite set ups, even though it's one of my cheapest.

VaPreis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Fasttech's Magma is a nice piece. No complaints with mine. Awesome machining and finish. It does have a long threaded 510 which means it may not sit flush on every mod.

I do believe I read the SS GP Paps on FT does not match the threading of the original, so it may be a problem in hybrid with the Heron. You might read the discussions on FT in regards to that.

The 12 Watt Kick on FT is solid and a good buy.

I have built and used an authentic Veritas.....not my thing, so I never bought a clone of it. I like my FT Magma better then the authentic Veritas.

Njt07

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2011
Ft Hood TX
Fasttech's Magma is a nice piece. No complaints with mine. Awesome machining and finish. It does have a long threaded 510 which means it may not sit flush on every mod.

I do believe I read the SS GP Paps on FT does not match the threading of the original, so it may be a problem in hybrid with the Heron. You might read the discussions on FT in regards to that.

The 12 Watt Kick on FT is solid and a good buy.

I have built and used an authentic Veritas.....not my thing, so I never bought a clone of it. I like my FT Magma better then the authentic Veritas.

I got the brass paps clone with the 3 tubes so thats a relief!

Njt07

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2011
Ft Hood TX
I have the Fasttech Heron and GP Paps. At least, I think that's where my Paps clone came from originally. I got mine off an eBay vendor, and it came with all three tubes. I believe Fasttech has a version like that. The heron came directly from Fasttech. Both work great in hybrid mode, but the 510 base on the heron won't make a connection with anything else. I use it exclusively with the Paps. One of my favorite set ups, even though it's one of my cheapest.

This is exactly what I wanted to hear! I almost bought the stingray (copper tube with SS outer tube) but got the paps instead since I wanted to use it as a hybrid. Thanks for the info!

Tinkiegrrl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
New York, NY
This is exactly what I wanted to hear! I almost bought the stingray (copper tube with SS outer tube) but got the paps instead since I wanted to use it as a hybrid. Thanks for the info!

No problem. Don't quite me on the brass Paps though. I got it from eBay, not Fasttech, but II haven't seen many other cloned Paps, save for the Hcigar. Even that I haven't seen. I just know it exists. I couldn't find it in stock though, or I'd have bought that. However, the consensus on Fasttech forums is that the brass is better then the stainless steel.

Dissonance

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2013
Dayton, OH, USA
I looked at the fogger, but not sure how to set it up, and Ive really been wanting to try out the spheroid. Who knows, if I like the heron enough I might just buy the real thing. Ive been using an Aga-T and an Igo L for quiet a while now, I dont know how to use the new tanks and have had bad experiences with bottom coil rebuildables.

Doesn't the fogger require non conductive wire soldered to the coils?

An no I didn't order batteries, I did a quick search on here prior to ordering from fasttech and saw the battery ordering issue.

I picked the USPS option. I am stationed in Korea but technically that counts as being in the US, hopefully it wont screw up my order. I am getting ready to go to a field exercise for a month anyway so I dont mind if it takes a while to get here. Who knows it may just get here faster since the physical distances are so much shorter...

Oh no, no special wire just regular kanthal works fine. There are 2 ways to set it up, one is like the Aqua with the tails going into the channels. This gave me nothing but dry hits, since I have the V4+ with smaller channels. So I wick it like a clogged kayfun; put the 4 wick ends over the 4 juice channels blocking them. Works great, fiddle free, no dry hits, no leaking, perfect :vapor:

MasteroftheVape

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2014
Columbia, IL, USA
I just got the FT Heron in the mail a week or so ago. Bought it as a backup for my legit russian, and instead my $100.00 russian is the backup for my $20.00 Heron. It had a bit of a learning curv to build well, but after you get it down your set. Wicks like a champ, even at 30watt sessions, no dry hits. The only sad part is it only holds 3ml and some change, where if you look at the design they could have totally moved the base lower to add another 1 or 2ml of juice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread