Status
Not open for further replies.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
Thanks I'll give it a try, I make my coils using the size 30 wrapping tool that comes with a coil master kit. Do you think I should try and use a different size then? I use the 30 because apparently that's like the standard size on popular builds.
I didn’t read all the posts but are you getting all the hotspots out of your coils before you wick it? That would cause the trouble you are experiencing

dom qp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2015
South Central... Ontario
Thanks I'll give it a try, I make my coils using the size 30 wrapping tool that comes with a coil master kit. Do you think I should try and use a different size then? I use the 30 because apparently that's like the standard size on popular builds.

No idea, haven't used that kit. Mine are in mm.

Is 30 the standard size for that tank? As I mentioned, I don't MTL.

And the whole thing above pinching coils and making sure there's no hot spots: This is to help fix your resistance. I've used coils where I didn't do that. The resistance will drop to as low as 0.05 and fly up to 3 ohms. Bouncing all over the place as the coils expand and contract. A regulated mod, depending on the settings, will either barely be able to fire it (e.g. 20 watts @ 0.1 ohms) or fire it anyways and burn out the coil (20 watts @ 3 ohms).

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
No idea, haven't used that kit. Mine are in mm.

Is 30 the standard size for that tank? As I mentioned, I don't MTL.

And the whole thing above pinching coils and making sure there's no hot spots: This is to help fix your resistance. I've used coils where I didn't do that. The resistance will drop to as low as 0.05 and fly up to 3 ohms. Bouncing all over the place as the coils expand and contract. A regulated mod, depending on the settings, will either barely be able to fire it (e.g. 20 watts @ 0.1 ohms) or fire it anyways and burn out the coil (20 watts @ 3 ohms).
The 30 is just 3mm Id coil. I was thinking the same thing, hotspots. Especially since the premade coils worked and his didn’t. Sometimes I forget to strum the coils and have the same problem. It just don’t produce vapor

• Useful
Reactions: stols001

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I was aiming for a around 1. 0hm and I usually get between. 8 and. 9 without issues. I am wanting the coil for MTL 15 to 20what. I'm not sure if it's the wicking tho because the pre built coils that come with the berska I wicked myself and they were fine. I am using cotton bacon for the cotton. The resistance on this build is 0. 7 I would not vape on it that low but the coil shows a example of how my builds are. The issue I have with them is you basically can't vape them, have you ever smoked a cigarette that's snapped or has a hole init and you can't get a drag because it's so tight? That's what my bad coils are like and it's annoying because I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. But you literally can't vape it, do I need to aim for a different resistance for up to 20 wat MTL hits? That's the highest I vape at?

Just looking at the Coil Picture you posted, it looks like it has kinda a Big Inside Diameter. And because it is made out of Multiple Wire, I could imaging that 20w wouldn't give much of a Hit.

Remember, the smaller burner on an Electric Stove heats up Faster than the large burner because the smaller burner has Less Mass.

I'd suggest starting off using Single Wire builds. Especially if you want to do MTL Hits. Maybe something in 26 gauge or so.

But if you want to go with that Clapton (?) Wire, no problem. You're just going to need to throw More Watts on it to get it heated up.

dom qp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2015
South Central... Ontario
Just looking at the Coil Picture you posted, it looks like it has kinda a Big Inside Diameter. And because it is made out of Multiple Wire, I could imaging that 20w wouldn't give much of a Hit.

Remember, the smaller burner on an Electric Stove heats up Faster than the large burner because the smaller burner has Less Mass.

I'd suggest starting off using Single Wire builds. Especially if you want to do MTL Hits. Maybe something in 26 gauge or so.

But if you want to go with that Clapton (?) Wire, no problem. You're just going to need to throw More Watts on it to get it heated up.

I think this dude has it spot on. I'd recommend changing your wattage until you hit 4.2 volts and then go up or down based on taste.

If you can tell us the specifics of the wire you're using we can tell you what wattage you should start at.

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
The minimum ID of a coil in a tank is determined by the cotton pockets. The ID needs to be at least big enough to allow for the minimum amount of cotton needed to not flood the deck in that tank. From there you can go up, cotton can always be trimmed, but you shouldn't put in less than that (unless you're a sneaky sob and use some dirty tricks). If the coil doesn't produce vapor it's unlikely to be in direct relation to the inner ID though.
Testfire your build with only the deck screwed onto the mod (and a juiced up wick unless you love the smell of burnt cotton).

vapemate93

ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2016

dom qp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2015
South Central... Ontario

The 28g right?

Untitled.png

28g SS wrapped with 32g SS. 3mm ID @ 5 wraps. Should read 0.68 ohms after you pinch it and get it glowing right.

0.68 ohms @ 4.2V = 26W.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
@vapemate93

There seems to be some ambiguity to what the problem is, most of the suggestions in this thread seem to be figuring out a vapor production issue, but from what you have said it seems you may be saying you have an "air" problem. So let's clarify.

When you have a "bad" coil in it, if you draw on the tip, WITHOUT pressing the fire button, are you getting plenty of air (just not enough vapor when you do press fire), OR are you getting little to no air at all. If you are getting plenty of air but no vapor, then you have a vapor production issue and these suggestions should help. If you are getting little to no air, then it is an airflow issue and "strumming the coil", "working out hot spots", etc isn't going to do anything for you.

If it is an air flow issue, and you have verified the AFC ring is open and the bottom hole isn't blocked, you may just have too big of a coil in there. Try building with your 2.5mm (size 25) coil builder. You may have to add a wrap or two to stay in your desired resistance range.

vapemate93

ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2016
Perfect, yes it's 28 thank you sir .
@vapemate93

There seems to be some ambiguity to what the problem is, most of the suggestions in this thread seem to be figuring out a vapor production issue, but from what you have said it seems you may be saying you have an "air" problem. So let's clarify.

When you have a "bad" coil in it, if you draw on the tip, WITHOUT pressing the fire button, are you getting plenty of air (just not enough vapor when you do press fire), OR are you getting little to no air at all. If you are getting plenty of air but no vapor, then you have a vapor production issue and these suggestions should help. If you are getting little to no air, then it is an airflow issue and "strumming the coil", "working out hot spots", etc isn't going to do anything for you.

If it is an air flow issue, and you have verified the AFC ring is open and the bottom hole isn't blocked, you may just have too big of a coil in there. Try building with your 2.5mm (size 25) coil builder. You may have to add a wrap or two to stay in your desired resistance range.

Based on what you have said, I have tried drawing the tank with and without the coil & wick. Without the coil I'm getting about 80% more airflow, I can here the air flow when drawing much louder than I can with the coil installed . So this definitely is a air flow problem, and I thank you for mentioning as now I know what the issue is. Now I know that what's causing the air flow issue do you think? Is it the wick, coil or both? I will definitely try a build with a 25 and update you. Thanks.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
MTL or DL, you should try to get the coil positioned in the center of the space inside the chamber. I was going to post what @dom qp did. Increasing the wattage should help produce the vapor you're after and getting a little space between the airflow inlet and the coil will give you more air movement.

The wick looks pretty good for that coil.

• Useful
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread