Beginner help for Genesis atomizer rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

CurlyLioness

Apr 3, 2019
I was not looking to get into building coils, but I recently purchased the old "first of it's kind" Digiflavor Esspresso 22 Genesis sub ohm tank. It is easily re-wickable and claims to also be easy to rebuild, but I know absolutely nothing about rebuilding. From the little research I've done on rebuilding coil heads, most say that Genesis coils are quite complicated and tricky to rebuild, but to my understanding, rebuildable atomizers allow you to customize coils to meet your needs. Please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm a complete newb. So, this tank came with 2 pre-built coils: the GVC-1 (0.4 ohm Clapton coil), and the GVC-2 (0.2 ohm Clapton coil); one of which I am unable to use with my particular mod. I am running a fixed 40w on the Jomo lite 40s. The 0.4 works okay on this mod, but the recommended resistance is 0.5 ohms, it can run anywhere from 0.3 to 1.0 ohms according to the manufacturer specs. I guess what I want to know is, does the ability to rebuild the coils mean that I can adjust the resistance by using different coil builds, and if so, can someone please point me in the right direction of a good starting point to learning how? I understand this particular atomizer is not recommended as the first rebuildable for beginners, but I am a DIYer in all facets of my life, and a quick learner, so I am sure I can do it with some good instructions. Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I might be a bit biased, but by choosing a "Genesis-style" RBA, you picked one of the more difficult devises to use effectively. They are "old technology" and I'm kinda surprised that they are still around.

Genesis-style RBA's were the first rebuildable atomizer. It has several design factors going against it. First, being that the tank is below the deck and the coil is above the deck, wicking is always fighting the effects of gravity. Second, unless newer models are different, they have a tendency to leak if not kept upright. To get the tank to wick, you have to do the "Genny Tilt" maneuver to keep the wick wet. Information Resources for Your First RBA

A Kayfun-style RBA is different and a major design improvement. The tank is above the build deck and the coil below the tank, so you're not fighting gravity. You don't have to be conscious of what position you tank is in because its not going to leak if you turn it sideways or upside down. You won't have to tilt it sideways to wick it.

The above opinions are mine and based on my experience with RBA's from a few years ago. To be fair, maybe designers have worked out the kinks by now.

Excuse the above video that was made 5 years ago. He doesn't do the greatest job explaining the difference, but it was the best I could find on short notice. I disagree with his synopsis that the Genny style is better than a Kayfun style.

You can do a search on You Tube for a tutorial for the particular atomizer you have. But if it was me, I'd get something else to learn on.

The above blog that I included a link to will answer your questions about resistance. I'm a big believer in the K.I.S.S. theory --- Keep It Simple Stupid. Exotic coils like a Clapton will have a higher mass, which translates into higher ramp up times, more battery usage, more complicated to make. A simple coil, compressed or spaced, will be easier to make and be more efficient, especially for beginners.

Last edited:

CurlyLioness

Apr 3, 2019
I might be a bit biased, but by choosing a "Genesis-style" RBA, you picked one of the more difficult devises to use effectively. They are "old technology" and I'm kinda surprised that they are still around.

Genesis-style RBA's were the first rebuildable atomizer. It has several design factors going against it. First, being that the tank is below the deck and the coil is above the deck, wicking is always fighting the effects of gravity. Second, unless newer models are different, they have a tendency to leak if not kept upright. To get the tank to wick, you have to do the "Genny Tilt" maneuver to keep the wick wet. Information Resources for Your First RBA

A Kayfun-style RBA is different and a major design improvement. The tank is above the build deck and the coil below the tank, so you're not fighting gravity. You don't have to be conscious of what position you tank is in because its not going to leak if you turn it sideways or upside down. You won't have to tilt it sideways to wick it.

The above opinions are mine and based on my experience with RBA's from a few years ago. To be fair, maybe designers have worked out the kinks by now.

Excuse the above video that was made 5 years ago. He doesn't do the greatest job explaining the difference, but it was the best I could find on short notice. I disagree with his synopsis that the Genny style is better than a Kayfun style.

You can do a search on You Tube for a tutorial for the particular atomizer you have. But if it was me, I'd get something else to learn on.

The above blog that I included a link to will answer your questions about resistance. I'm a big believer in the K.I.S.S. theory --- Keep It Simple Stupid. Exotic coils like a Clapton will have a higher mass, which translates into higher ramp up times, more battery usage, more complicated to make. A simple coil, compressed or spaced, will be easier to make and be more efficient, especially for beginners.

At this time I'm not looking to buy another RBA, when I bought this tank I wasn't even looking for an RBA, I just happened across a really cheap deal. I was looking to replace the tank that came with my jomo lite 40s mod, because I hated the bottom fill design and it seemed to be burning through coils way too fast. The only reason I got the digiflavor espresso 22, was because I found a deal that only cost me $6.95 after shipping cost and everything. I really am on a tight budget, living in motels and never have much extra money to spend after rent and bills. So really at this point, I'm not looking to buy anything, not another atomizer, or another mod or kit. I just want advice o how to rebuild the coils in the one I got thanks. I will look into the links you shared though.

Reactions: Baditude
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread