Beginner setup to mech mods?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaslovik

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
Just to volunteer my own experience:

I started with an el-cheapo flea market ecig. From there I went to an eGo stick battery and a disposable clearo, then to a 1300 spinner with a Protank, at which point I got a mech.

I put my Protank on that mech and was happy for a couple weeks. I got the little black ohms tester, and started rebuilding my coil heads, but soon learned that at the voltage my mech supplied I would go through Protank coils pretty quick. It was RBA time. I got an AGA-T2 and got into making wicks and coiling them. I'm happy now.

There are a lot of people in vape shops who will preach to you that sub-ohm is the way to go, and the lower the ohms the better. So far that's not been my experience. Some will tell you that ribbon wire is the only way to go, and .3 ohms is where it's at, or lower. Do not listen to this. DO test your ohms before you put that atty on your mech. If you cannot test it you cannot trust it! And make sure you do not have a short. After that it's all about learning where you want to be, and winding you coils accordingly.

If you go for a mech and an RBA I would suggest starting out with 28 ga. kanthal, and a 4/3 wrap. Go from there, test your ohms, and grope around for what works best with the wick you have been able to roll after watching all the YouTube videos on the subject. Start out with 400# stainless steel mesh. Get the stuff you need to make wicks, and get the means to test your coil ohms. The mech you chose is not something I will advise you on, just go with what appeals to you, in large measure a mech is a mech. Make sure you get the right batteries to run that mech and RBA! AW IMR's, the red ones, or the Efest red ones are the way to go. Personally I like the 18650 2000 mAh ones.

For the RBA you might want to consider the RSST. I didn't go with that, I got the AGA-T2, but your mileage may vary. The RSST is a simple cheap beginner's RBA, and a good one to start with. Just take your time, go through the YouTube vids, and work it out. Get a decent hand torch, a spool of 28 ga. kanthal, a sheet of SS mesh, a metal dental pick, that ohms tester (or a cheap multimeter from RadioSlack) , a pair of big nail clippers, a large paper clip, and a pair of hemostats. You will have fun working out the hot spots in your coils, and trust me, that coil wire moves VERY easy when glowing.

Have fun, it's all a neat adventure after you get the mech and the RBA :)

Last edited:

vjc0628

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2013
Maryville TN
I currently use an ego with a vivi. I'm looking to purchase my first mech. Not looking to spend a ton of money. Maybe a Sentinel M16 with an IGO-L from fasttech?

My question is what do you recommend for a beginner?

Maybe first get a mod like vamo that can check ohms which you will need to do anyway
the Igo is a great first RBA get 30 ga wire and start with ohms above 1.3

ubergeek922

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2013
Cincinnati
You will first need a vv mod or an ohm meter. This is a must have.
Second, try a mini rda from fasttech. It's about the same diameter as an ego. I made a microcoil for mine and posted it here.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=10664337
Micro Coils to increase Vapor, flavor & TH

It's a pretty impressive vape for $5.

djslik

ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2013
CA
Have the brass M16 clone and IGO-W as my daily beater. LOVE this setup with 30g nichrome 6 wraps dual coil gets me right under 1 ohm.

So list of stuff
1. Good batteries AW IMR or similar
2. Good charger xtar is a great brand
3. Multimeter I use fluke but I have them for work
4. M4 screws or drill bits to help wrap coils
5. Tweezers
6. Snips or nail cutter
7. Jewelers screw drivers or similar
8. Wick
9. Wire

Last edited:

ubergeek922

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2013
Cincinnati
Also to address your specific question. If you order the $11 M16, plan on putting one thing on it and leaving it there. Aluminum threads can be very fragile and strip easily with constant atomizer swapping. My igo-l from ft is nice, my only word of caution is it does not have holes in the posts for the coil legs to go thru. You wrap the wire around the screw and tighten it down, not a huge issue for most but it is for some.
I'm sure some will disagree but for the most part, a mech is a mech, though some are better than others. The M16 is good for getting your feet wet.
Have you considered batteries and charger yet?

Chablo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2013
Dixie County, Florida
Also to address your specific question. If you order the $11 M16, plan on putting one thing on it and leaving it there. Aluminum threads can be very fragile and strip easily with constant atomizer swapping. My igo-l from ft is nice, my only word of caution is it does not have holes in the posts for the coil legs to go thru. You wrap the wire around the screw and tighten it down, not a huge issue for most but it is for some.
I'm sure some will disagree but for the most part, a mech is a mech, though some are better than others. The M16 is good for getting your feet wet.
Have you considered batteries and charger yet?

Batteries not really. I wanted to spend like $40 to just try out the mod and some different things to get my desired mod and go from there. I was reading about the threads on the m16. Any ideas on batteries? Keep in mind in going low budget to get a feel.

BDUAres

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2012
Texas, USA & London, UK
Last edited:

ubergeek922

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2013
Cincinnati
Batteries not really. I wanted to spend like $40 to just try out the mod and some different things to get my desired mod and go from there. I was reading about the threads on the m16. Any ideas on batteries? Keep in mind in going low budget to get a feel.

M16 - $11.54 Sentinel M16 Mod Telescoping E-Cigarette Battery Compartment - silver / aluminum + brass / no floating pin at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
NCR18650PD - $13.62 Panasonic NCR18650PD 18650 3.6V 2900mAH Rechargeable Li-ion Batteries (2-Pack) 2-pack at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
Nitecore charger - $15.05 Nitecore I2 Lithium Li-ion Ni-MH Ni-Cd Smart Battery Charger - US plug / 2-channel charger at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Total of 40.21 but this does not include the RDA. This is 2 quality batteries (I use the NCR18650PD and think they're great) and a quality charger.

A tighter budget would be the M16 kit - 27.81 $27.81 KingW M16 Mechanical Mod / Battery Compartment Kit - 1*18650 / silver / US plug charger at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
Keep in mind this only offers one battery (but it is a good one) and a charger which I would recommend babysitting when you use it (don't leave it charging overnight). It should be replaced ASAP.
Unfortunately, the batteries and charger are going to be the largest initial expense, but will pay off in the long run and you will probably want multiple batteries so you can continue to vape while the other one charges.

Chablo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2013
Dixie County, Florida
M16 - $11.54 Sentinel M16 Mod Telescoping E-Cigarette Battery Compartment - silver / aluminum + brass / no floating pin at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
NCR18650PD - $13.62 Panasonic NCR18650PD 18650 3.6V 2900mAH Rechargeable Li-ion Batteries (2-Pack) 2-pack at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
Nitecore charger - $15.05 Nitecore I2 Lithium Li-ion Ni-MH Ni-Cd Smart Battery Charger - US plug / 2-channel charger at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Total of 40.21 but this does not include the RDA. This is 2 quality batteries (I use the NCR18650PD and think they're great) and a quality charger.

A tighter budget would be the M16 kit - 27.81 $27.81 KingW M16 Mechanical Mod / Battery Compartment Kit - 1*18650 / silver / US plug charger at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
Keep in mind this only offers one battery (but it is a good one) and a charger which I would recommend babysitting when you use it (don't leave it charging overnight). It should be replaced ASAP.
Unfortunately, the batteries and charger are going to be the largest initial expense, but will pay off in the long run and you will probably want multiple batteries so you can continue to vape while the other one charges.

The last part is very true. I do that now with two 650's so yea i'll check them out! Ty everyone for the info and advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread