Beginners upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fletcher6490

Jan 17, 2015
Illinois
Ok, so I've now been vaping for 5 days. I currently have an IStick 20W with a Nautilus tank. I am thoroughly enjoying my experience so far but I already want more. After doing a lot of reading about different MOD'S and tanks I'm thinking that in the next few weeks I'll probably upgrade to the new IStick 50W and an Atlantis or the new Joyetech Delta II (when they come out). I am looking for more vape as well as better flavor but I'm not necessarily looking to cloud chase or anything. I'm also a mouth to lung smoker and haven't really tried straight lung hits but from what I've read it looks like the big vape comes from lung hits. Do you guys think this would be a nice little upgrade or am I still going to want more? I'm not planning on RDA's and I really don't think I need anything that produces 100+Watts but then again, I don't know....

CampbellMC

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2014
NS, Canada
I would take my time if I were you, your current set up is perfect for someone just getting used to everything. As Susan said, if you aren't ready for lung hits, the Atlantis may not be for you. But you are able to crank down the air do to mouth to lung no problem, or open it wide open to get full lung hits. The flavor on the Atlantis is great, and it can handle basically any juice you want to use. If you are constantly going to be wanting bigger clouds and more vapor, you will probably want to look into some RDAs, they are the only thing that will give you your fix and allow you to keep adjusting builds and stuff. However if you just want more of a haul, and better flavor, the Atlantis can serve you well (and once you have a 50w stick you can always pick up a RDA later). In reality the clouds I can blow from my Nautilus can come someone near what what I get from my Atlantis, but the Atlantis has way more flavor, and the hits seem a long stronger (even though there's not much more in cloud production).

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
I am looking for more vape as well as better flavor but I'm not necessarily looking to cloud chase or anything.

....an interesting situation. I use iStick and mini Nautilus from 9am-5pm (at work). A 50w mod with a sub ohm clearo might 'just' be into the realms of cloud chasing.
Not that I disapprove of your idea though... not at all. Go for it. :)

ilmostro99

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2014
Feltwell, Engalnd
My advice is that if....and only if....you recognize that vaping is for you, don't waste your money on clearomizers or sub-par mods. I'm not saying you need 100+ watts.....30-40 is fine.....and invest into a rebuildable atomizer, whether it's an RDA or RTA, it's up to you. Rebuilding (with just a little basic knowledge) is easy (assuming you do not suffer from something that makes your hands shake, bad eyesight etc.,.) and you will save a fortune in the long run . Hindsight, as they say, is 20/20, and I wish I hadn't spent all of the money on MVP v2's, iTaste v3's and Mini Protanks. I'm quite satisfied now with my rDNA 40 (overkill, probably), and kayfun...along with an RDA just for sh**s and giggles.
my :2c:

fletcher6490

Jan 17, 2015
Illinois
....an interesting situation. I use iStick and mini Nautilus from 9am-5pm (at work). A 50w mod with a sub ohm clearo might 'just' be into the realms of cloud chasing.
Not that I disapprove of your idea though... not at all. Go for it. :)

I guess what I mean when I say I'm not into cloud chasing is that my goal is to not blow the biggest clouds possible, but to get my fix of wanting more vapor and flavor. I really do like my set up right now but I can already tell I want more.

Another question I have has to do with the nicotine levels. Let's say I upgraded to a sub ohm set up, would I want to stay with my 18mg nicotine juice or would I have to drastically lower that due to the amount of vapor I would produce?

CampbellMC

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2014
NS, Canada
If you are Sub-Ohming you are going to want to cut your nicotine in half atleast I would say. With my Nautilus I regularly vape 12mg e-liquids, but with my Atlantis if I vape that same liquid it will hit me too hard. Just as a comparison, I usually smoke through about 4-5ml a day with my nautilus, about 1 tank. But with my Atlantis I can go through that much in just the evening, uses double the juice basically. Ive been mixing up 6mg juice for the atlantis and it has been doing me well.

ilmostro99

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2014
Feltwell, Engalnd
IMO, clouds are fun, but more of a novelty. I like a lot of vapor, but don't really care about changing earth's atmosphere. You'll probably find that with more vapor, you'll need and want less nic, though this may not be the case for you. I started at 18 mg., then went down to 15, then 12, and am now at 8. I'm just over 1 year into vaping now. My next batch will most likely be at 6 mg. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I wouldn't buy 200 ml of juice at 18mg. You'll probably find that you need a lower dose with the increased vapor from an RTA or RDA.

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
.....Another question I have has to do with the nicotine levels. Let's say I upgraded to a sub ohm set up, would I want to stay with my 18mg nicotine juice or would I have to drastically lower that due to the amount of vapor I would produce?

If you go from vaping say 5 mL of 18mg juice a day and with sub-ohm you vape 10 mL of 9mg juice, you haven't lowered your nic level at all. In a day you still would go through 90mg of nic, just twice as fast with sub-ohm...:)

wheelie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2014
Ont. Canada
www.independentont.com
Concentrate more on another tank. Nice sometimes to switch flavors sometimes through the day. On occasion I switch flavors 3 or 4 times. Depends if you want tubes or box mods. You strike me as someone that deep down you do want nice clouds. Clouds come from coils and wicking more so than mods. I can sub ohm vape and get the same clouds as running a 1.2 ohm coil. More watts burns juice easier as you have likely found out turning your Istick up to high. Lower ohms coils and the watts can be turned up. I would focus on learning to build coils and wicking first. I am not saying a backup is bad, as it is a necessity. But get a clear focus of where you want to be a few months down the road and buy accordingly. CHEERS!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I agree with the comments by Susan and ilmostro99. :thumb:

I've been vaping for nearly 3 years now. I've progressed from the cigalikes (decent to start vaping with to see if it would be effective, but needed more power and options after about a months use), to mods with cartotanks/clearomizer tanks (satisfactory for a couple of years), to the more modern gear that I currently use (Provari regulated mod with a Kayfun RDA tank and a Silver Bullet mechanical mod with Patriot rebuildable drip atomizer).

Vaping can be looked upon as a "journey" - you may try a wide variety of vaping devices before you find the "ideal" vaping device FOR YOU.

Some people are quite satisfied with the entry-level cigalikes for years; others find that they need a high-wattage regulated mod or mechanical mod using sub-ohm resistance coils in their juice delivery devices to be satisfied. You have started out with a fairly sophisticated yet simple setup. Susan's suggestion to go to a vape shop (or a vape meet) to sample someone elses "higher end" gear is a wise one IMO. You may find out that the higher end gear is too much for you, or you may not appreciate the increased vapor or flavor production that these units may provide. You just may find what you currently use is just fine.

Quite often, upgrading the juice delivery device and the quality of the e-liquids themselves will have the best opportunities to improve your vaping experience, than upgrading the battery device.

Last edited:

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    If you go from vaping say 5 mL of 18mg juice a day and with sub-ohm you vape 10 mL of 9mg juice, you haven't lowered your nic level at all. In a day you still would go through 90mg of nic, just twice as fast with sub-ohm...:)

But what you have done is double the cost of vaping.

Wow 5 days into it and 20 watts isn't enough!

I vaped for about 1100 days before there even was a 20 watt regulated PV. (and I'm a noob compared to some on here)
    Just illustrating that high wattage isn't necessary, and there are a lot of nice low wattage setups.

Wattage only determines quantity, quality is determined by AFR (air fuel ratio) and temperature.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    If your not looking for clouds and want more flavor. Start picking up on genesis atomizers.
    With my personal experience with both Genesis and Kayfun style tank atomizers, I must advise some caution with the above. Gennies are more difficult for a beginner than Kayfun tank or a drip atomizer. Please note: Information Resources for Your First RBA.

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 28, 2011
    MA, USA
    Hi, Fletcher, Welcome to ECF!

Yeah, don't start with a genesys, and don't be too quick to try to jump to other hardware, either! The setup you have at the moment is pretty darned good; maybe it's time to start exploring other e-liquids?

And Baditude, GREAT to see you back! Is this long-term, or are you just hanging out in the library???

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread