EU Belgian import seized - anyone help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oliver

ECF Founder, formerly SmokeyJoe
Admin
Verified Member
Hi all,

For anyone who might know, a good friend of mine living in Belgium has just had a (approx 100 Euros) order seized by customs. They are stating that they want tax paid, but he's worried about his liability, criminal or otherwise, for the liquid component of his order.

They are currently stating that they haven't opened it, so he's obviously worried about what happens if they do. Does anyone have any insight?

Julie W

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2013
Did a quick search & it seems €150 .00 is the threshold;,but if they open it & they deem it a tobacco product:unsure:

the FOB value, i.e. the value of the goods excluding shipping and insurance cost, does not exceed €150

(my bold)

VAT is not charged if:

the FOB value, i.e. the value of the goods excluding shipping and insurance cost, does not exceed €22

Excise duty is payable on for example tobacco and alcohol.
Additional customs fees can be charged to cover the expense of performing any required examinations, verification and or testing of the imported goods.

http://www.dutycalculator.com/country-guides/Import-duty-taxes-when-importing-into-Belgium/

Last edited:

Julie W

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2013
I don't think eliquid is illegal in Belgium so there shouldn't be any legal issues. They're only asking for import duties and VAT, which are always due on orders from outside the EU that are above a specified sum.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

I didn't think so either but found this. Not good news I'm afraid :?:

"Sale (and private import) of e-cigarettes that do not contain nicotine is allowed, but importing any e-liquid with nicotine is considered a criminal offense punishable with huge fines and even imprisonment. The vapers from Belgium are outlawed, and have the choice to keep on smoking tobacco or break the law and drive to France, the Netherlands or Germany to purchase their nicotine e-liquids."

http://nicotinepolicy.net/all-authors/65-marcel-goertz/411-vaping-in-the-netherlands-and-belgium

Last edited:

ForeverDiving

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2014
Uruapan, Michoacan, Mexico.
Just came into this thread... Pity! We Mexicans are facing a worse situation. A ****** *** **** of a beaurocrat, the Commissioner for the Reduction of Health Risks asked customs for the seizure of anything related to e-cigarettes (and got it). The arguments given were a) that they haven't tested and proved them unharmful to health and b) that they haven't been demonstrated a valid smoke reduction therapy. Of course they aren't taking for valid all the studies already made abroad. Senate demanded the lift of the ban but the commission are (successfully) dragging their feet.

Vapers in Mexico are sure BT, BP and The Taxman are behind this.

A copuple of weeks ago customs seized two shipments for me, one from Austria with an Erlkönigin and another from Kidney Puncher with a pair of mech mods and RDA's for relatives struggling with the coffin nails. Fortunately I have a relative in Laredo TX who is coming to visit in 4 days and she already has the packages. Since she travels on an American passport her luggage won't be touched.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread